2404H tweeters in Klipsch Cornwalls

islanddave

Hello,

I bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers. A 1976 pair of Cornwalls. I love the sound but can't resist playing with them. The main complaint I hear about these is the harshness of the tweeter section. I have a pair of nice JBL 2404 tweeters. Aside from the heresy of such a thought..........no pun intended............ok yes it was.......[:D] of using a JBL tweeter, would I damage anything if I replaced the k 77's with these. Obviously they will not fit into the port that the current tweeter sits in so I would merely place them atop of the cabinets, and with their square horn they sit perfectly up there. I would keep the K 77's in place to seal the port. Below are the specs for the JBL's. I could not find the specs for the k 77's.

http://www.usspeaker.com/jbl%202404H-1.htm

Thanks Dave

It should work OK, it's only about 1dB hotter than the old K77 tweeter (and about the same as the newer K77M below 10Khz).

If you're a real head-banger with a 200W amp you will want to add a 0.25mH inductor right across both terminals of the JBL, this will make the slope steeper and protect the tweeter better.

In my opinion the K77 is kind of bright and edgy sounding with no real high end.

When I pointed this out to PWK (while I was both a Klipsch and JBL dealer) , he agreed with me, but pointed out the huge difference in the cost of the two drivers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5211&stc=1&d

This is the version used up to 1978. The later version had more output above 10Khz, but the same basic shape of the above curve.

Three different K77 examples (the red from an older Klipschorn):

attachment.php?attachmentid=30728&stc=1&

From the newer EV datasheet:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30727&stc=1&

Wow thank you for all of the help. I went ahead and took the plunge. Actually not a big deal. Not much to lose as the JBL 4612's were $10.00 at Goodwill. Below is a picture of the final product.The final result is much much better. Not harsh at all and extremely detailed.

The crossovers were recapped by the original owner recently with the Crites suggested caps. The sound with the 2404 H's is simply amazing. I no longer have the harshness that I once did. Now whether that has to do with the K 77's or the fact that they might need new diaphrams I don't know. What I do know is that this has been a major improvement in sound. It would be nice if I could find some other horn that would bolt on to the 2404's that would be a bit more pleasing to the eye. But that is of a minor concern

Thanks for the help !

David

It should work OK, it's only about 1dB hotter than the old K77 tweeter (and about the same as the newer K77M below 10Khz).

If you're a real head-banger with a 200W amp you will want to add a 0.25mH inductor right across both terminals of the JBL, this will make the slope steeper and protect the tweeter better.

In my opinion the K77 is kind of bright and edgy sounding with no real high end.

When I pointed this out to PWK (while I was both a Klipsch and JBL dealer) , he agreed with me, but pointed out the huge difference in the cost of the two drivers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5211&stc=1&d

This is the version used up to 1978. The later version had more output above 10Khz, but the same basic shape of the above curve.

Three different K77 examples (the red from an older Klipschorn):

attachment.php?attachmentid=30728&stc=1&

From the newer EV datasheet:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30727&stc=1&

I have read that they were more than 1db hotter. I love them in my Khorns and although I have not done any testing yet, they sound even better to my ears using the 3db attenuator taps on ALKs transformer based tweeter attenuator.