curved reduced depth K400?

efzauner

Hello

Is the concept of a custom horn, following the flare of a K400 but curved 90 degrees feasible? As in having the driver fire up, with the horn curving to forward. This could allow for a much shallower speaker. A Cornscala with the same depth as a Cornwall.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

guilty as charged re these bent horns. I have read a little about them and have followed a portion of some of rhe WE threads at diy. I expect thant you have and I do asume that they sound much bettet than I probably expect or you would not have mentioned it. So then tell me, as good as they sound are you suggesting to me that a bent horn sounds better than an equally well designed straight one? That really seems to be doing it the hard way don't you think? Best regards Moray James

Yes I suppose something along the lines of "with equal care and attention to detail" might me a better way of saying it? Bending a horn 90 degrees must be a compromise which you would only do if there were no other option while a straight horn would be the prefered choice. I would be interested to hear from Dennis if this is one of those situations where the less than ideal (theory wise) implementations actually does sound better than the theoritically correct design in this case being straight. Or am I making a poor assumption that straight is correct? I know that there is still a lot of art in this field and science has not yet answered all by any means. I draw my assumption based upon reading about so many builders who have migrated from folded mid bass horn to straight ones and who have discussed the benefits of doing so, given such long wavelength one is left to assume that if benefit is had at these frequencies then surley bends or folds at mid range frequencies are not a wise choice? Best regards Moray James.

The biggest problem is reflections when going around the bend.

Meyer put a plug of foam in that area, he called it a 'foam acoustic lense'.

Of course Geddes claims he patented a foam plug in a horn (years after
Meyer).

The Meyer 833 is very shallow, and a straight 700hz horn would not have fit in the box. The Altec A8 VOTT is in the same situation and used the Model 32 horn, as did the Model 15 (a home model). I have a pair of the Model 15 that I am parting out.

Listen to the straight horn and cone woofer on this 3-way JBL monitor.

A similar recording on the 4-way JBL monitor (cone midrange).

Now listen to the same (first) recording on a bent horn that covers 100hz~10Khz.

You don't really want to listen to this Tannoy GRF co-ax in a rear loaded horn cabinet.

Now, which one sounds most like a real tenor sax?

You don't really want to listen to this Tannoy GRF co-ax in a rear loaded horn cabinet.

Or the $60,000 JBL Everest (same recording as the JBL and WE above).

Same guy, same camera, same recording (on three of the systems).

That is very good to hear, do you have a similar type recording of the Myer or the "J" shaped Altec or JBL? The DIY WE is kind of in another league but you have to make account for the huge difference in size. Thanks for posting this. What driver was being used on the big DIY horn? Best regards Moray James.

have you considered using a K510 instead? Best regards Moray James.

K510 would be a great match - no real need to crossover to a 15" any lower than 1kHz anyway (since the horizontal polars line up around there).

The tweeter from the QSC HPR152 would give you better tweets at the minor expense of some midrange clarity:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-625

I'd take both over any bent horn covering the top octaves. There is no performance advantage to folding horns - only compromises to fit a smaller footprint.