Receiver to power KF-28 towers

david.brogdon

Ive been looking into Onkyo receivers to power my 2 kf-28's, i will also have a kc-25 center speaker and kb-15 or ks-14.The only thing about the ks-14 that makes me no want to by is the cone is made out of PAPER.... it just seems alot cheaper made. Thats fine n all. I just wonder what it would be a better receiver to us. Im looking at either the Onkyo TX-NR515 or TX-NR616. Please let me know what u think would be a better choice. i am also thinkin of maybe going to 7.1 also.... but still unsure on that.

What is your budget max for an avr? Those large towers like power. The surrond speaker are very good and I would not worry about the cone construction. I have some VS 14's with the fiber composite drivers and the speakers are excellent. I had a 200 watt amp on them and they never acted in danger when the system was really cranked up. More power is safer for your speakers than under powering them, this is especially true for smaller speakers, ie. bookshelf and surround. Congratualtions on the new system and welcome to the forum.

Really id like to stay under 500 for an amp. I want the best sound i can get in my basement. Im blown away with the OLD am/fm stero/receiver I have from Onkyo at the time but i cant wire surround sound off LT/RT outputs :) im thinkin 100 watts per channel would be good... but once again im new to building a sound system for my home theater.

Go into the store. They have some models on close out, open box with the full warranty that someone returned and the regular Pioneer avr's. The main point is get something above the entry level with around 110 watt/channel. This way you will not want to upgrade. I brought my elite avr for less than 1/2 price on close out.

I was able to pick up a new pioneer sc 61 elite at BB today and they matched the Amazon price of $770. Great deal, I think, even better if I didn't have to pay California sales tax...which unfortunately I did. Worth trying if this interests you. BB is now matching Amazon at all their stores. Idon't even know if they checked Amazon. I asked for the price match of $770, the kid said let me check with manager. 2 minutes later he came back and said okay.I believe the msrp is $1100 on this receiver. Hope I like it. I'm sending back my 1 week old onkyo 809 due to some issues.

The KS-14's cones are NOT made out of paper. This is what I read on the BB website but I purchased a pair and love them. The KB-15's are louder and I tried them first but didn't do what I was shooting for. Got the KS-14's and love them. I can say honestly, they are not paper. Take a bright flashlight with you to best buy (grill doesn't remove easily) and shine in there Nya's 1 4 inch woofer that matches the rest of the icon series speakers and 2 horn loaded tweeter in each speaker.

I got to watch a video somone shot... The cone was paper... N if it wasnt, it sure was the same consistance as paper. But i do have to admit they still sound good. Just make me leary of buying them you know. I really cant wait till i have all my speakers all set up. ill have to post some pics after i finish it all up.

I wish you knew where I could see it. I read the cones were paper too so I decided to stay away from them but I wasn't pleased with the KB-15's enough. I took my super bright LED light in the best buy and shined it in the speaker. They look just like the rest of the icon series from what I could tell. I have no desire to take the grills off but now it's got me wondering as well. Either way, I really enjoy mine. I have a similar setup. KF-28's in the front, KC-25 for center, and the KS-14's for surrounds. Still sporting the PDR-10 sub though. Had it forever and this year sometime it'll get replaced with a SW-450. Good luck with your setup! Love to see the finished product