Lack of bass? Help :)

MichaelandKlipsch

The ideal place to put an acoustic panel is at the first reflection point of your speaker. To find the ideal spot, sit in your main listening position and have a helper slide a mirror along the side wall. When you can see the reflection of the speaker, mark the spot and hang your panel there. The center of the panel should be the same distance from the floor as your ears.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My room isnt very long from my listening area the walls are only 12 ft. and one has a door the other has a curtain. The largest flat area is my ceiling and the back wall would it be better to mount the too panels on the ceiling or stick with the side walls. The room is long its 23 long. Also I was thinking of taking down the RS-62s as my rears and putting up the RB-81s since the sound dispersion is so wide on the 62s and they sit near the back wall so the receiver sometimes even thinks they are out of phase. I could then put the RS 62s as my surround backs. Any ideas?

I am planning on posting a diagram of the room tonight and I'm going to take several pictures from different angles to get some suggestions on my rear channels and or placing my panels I look forward to reading post tomorrow morning and getting some suggestions sense this weekend I'm dedicated to working on the theater room and installing the new Parasound amp

The center of the panel should be the same distance from the floor as your ears.

I had never heard that before. I just figured I would mount mine about 6" off of the floor.

As are mine, WAF prevented me from raising them to where they should be. It was a major coup just to get them in the living room as it was.

• Moderators

Hit reply, then click the Options tab. You can only attach one file per post that way or you can insert up to 10 images per post by uploading your images to an online file storage (ex photobucket, flickr) and in the forum, click the Insert/Edit Image button (green tree icon) and paste the url for the image.

Finally got home from the office and i'm posting pics below of the room. Please feel free to give advice on any of my 3 questions.

1.) Should i put my RB-81 height channels as my rears to be more directional since my two RS-62 are near the back wall and one over the stair well? will mounting the RB's and facing them down toward the listening area be more beneficial?

2.) Any suggestions on where to place my 2 ATS acoustic panels maybe ceiling or in-between the towers and my entertainment unit under the height channels?

3.) The rear right corner to the right of the Sideshow Life-size Alien Statue is where i was going to place a Bass trap since that is the most massive output of bass and im thinking that it is reflecting off of there creating a standing wave?

post-54550-13819827495792_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You have a fantastic system to work with and it all looks great.

A few thoughts...

Hard wood floors will reinforce the bass (not always a good thing. It's good that you have the thick rug in the center to help with reflections and bass reinforcement.

Since your seats are up against the back wall, it is going to be difficult to get sound "behind" you. Not a good way to fix that. I don't think adding RB-81's on the back wall are going to do much good since they would be firing over your head.

Putting subs in the corner and stacking them will definitely add extra bass but for that small of a room, I'm not sure it is necessary. Have you tried placing them between the mains and the TV stand?