Centre channel for jubilee's

Turbox

• Moderators

I would think the 510 would be fine for a center, I thought the sound was very close to the 402 if your on axis, to me it just didn't do as well as the 402 as far as covering the width of a room.

Crazy question,

What about a jub bass bin on it's side to save your height, with 3 across the front it's not like the coverage would be a problem ?

What about a jub bass bin on it's side to save your height, with 3 across the front it's not like the coverage would be a problem ?

Actually, I would think that a half-height Jub bass bin make a lot more sense: you lose ~3 dB sensitivity, but my guess is that this bass bin would smoke the La Scala and Belle bass bins, without adding loads of modulation distortion that a direct radiator bass bin would add.

Laying a full Jub bass bin on its side loads one "mouth" more than the other--like using half of a Khorn false corner.

Chris

• Moderators

Laying a full Jub bass bin on its side loads one "mouth" more than the other

Never thought of that, your right with one side on the floor there is no telling what it would do.

I like the idea of a half Jube bin, more than enough for a center channel and still have the exact same sound, good idea. [Y]

• Moderators

[Y]

Probably the best option to be as close to the mains as you could get without the 402, the 510 with the 703 should make a great center channel.

Could the 703 be ran with a passive crossover from the 510 to make things easier ?

• 1 month later...

So after some very long deliberation, I dont have a decision yet, however i pulled the trigger today on a pair of 904LF bins. these will eventually be used as rears. i figured this would allow me some time messing around with the 904 as a centre channel in several differnt configs.

Here is what i will try.

Left and Right - 3 way Jubilee Centre KPT435(3 way)

Left and Right - 3 way Jubilee Centre KPT904(2 way with K510

Left and Right - 2 way Jubilee with either 510 or 402 Centre KPT904(2 way with K510)

Left and Right - KPT435(3 way) Centre Jubilee Bin with K510

Left and Right - KPT904(2 way) Centre Jubilee Bin with K510

Its unlikely that i will Use the KPT435 as the left and right long term, but i do want to try out the Jubilee bin with K510 in a two way config as a centre channel. I dont think i will be able to use the Jubilee bin in a three way config because of height restrictions.

Im thinking of picking up a couple more Crown XTI's for biamping in a two way setup. If i remember correct, Bill has had great success biamping using the crown xti's.

Yes thats interesting as well.i could try that. the issue is that i am limited on space for my centre channel.

You wanted to be under 36" right? Isn't the K402 only 30" tall? I suppose you could go to dual 12's on the sides if you didn't want to make the cabinet wider (although you can fit dual 15's staggered in a 30" box - you could also manifold them).

I personally would be more inclinded to keep matching HF units and let the bottom end be whatever it needs to be.

An AT screen is a good approach too if you can sit far enough away from the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

So here's a first look at my new centre channel. I am currently running a 904LF with my 335HF section to make a KPT435 which i have modified to suit my needs. The first issue i ran into was that it was way to tall. I had to take the horns out of the original housing. I built a temporary top for it for now, the intent is to paint it black. I have to build the grills for it still for protection. By now my wife thinks i've lost all reasoning when it comes to sound. But she did say, oh i like that...lol. I dont know that i will keep it in this configuration but I do have to say my first impressions of this unit as a centre channel are very favorable. The 904 has a ton of bass output. I love music, but for movies its a game changer. Going from a Heresey to this is a huge difference. I've used my 335HF section on top of my Jubilee's while i was waiting for the 402's. It impressed me back then as well. In the event that you can not fit a 402 or afford to buy one, the 510 Horn is a very good compromise in cost and size vs the 402. the 510 does a great job through the voice range. I do have the passive xover for this as well. the behind the screen xover is not as bright as i thought it would be, but i can tell the highs are a little hot. With this big centre, and it is huge, im going to have to rearrange my room a little. the centre is 42 wide, and 44 high on the roller cart. i have to move the tv and equipment stand. Im in the market for a new motorized screen. something bigger than i have now. over the next week or so, i hope to get the grills done and paint.

one last thing on this. That 904 will not be a long term centre channel. It has a matching 904 Bin which is still in the box, the KPT435 will end up being my rear speakers longer term, but this allows me to try a few options before i land on a final decision of what to do about this. a 904 might still be the answer, but it will be a single that i order, or in fact i might move to the KPT4350MS, which is exactly the same as whats pictured here but with a full frequency xover. man oh man, the chaos continues...

post-57425-13819831972768_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...