UMC-1 Warranty question

roaddog359

Ok, I sold my UMC-1 with the transferable warranty. The person who bought it is asking me to send the warranty. I sent all documents with the unit and I do not remember if it even came with a warranty card. What would they need should they need any service so they get the rest of the 5 yr warranty?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I dont remember an card but I think they thought I was sending it after the sale for some reason. I have a email in to emotive to get the scoop from them before I email the buyer back so I can be correct in what I tell them. I just thought the buyer would just give the serial number for any warranty and emotive would look up the sale date. I did not think I need to call and transfer anything, but we will see. Thanks again Youthman my friend!!

• Moderators

Just curious, what did you buy to replace the UMC-1? To be honest, there is a part of me that still wonders how the HK 3600 compares. I've always loved the sound of HK and the 3600 was the other unit I was considering when I bought the UMC-1.

Maybe I'll start a thread and get some thoughts from others too so as to not hijack this thread.

You don't have to do anything. As long as you were the original buyer he just calls and they transfer that unit from your name to his. They don't even track serial numbers at all. It's kind of just a 5 year countdown to your "account" if you will. change names on it that's all.

• Moderators

As long as you were the original buyer he just calls and they transfer that unit from your name to his.

Really? If that is the case, that is a poor policy. Where is the safeguard for the actual owner of the unit? Anyone could call and say I just purchased Joe Smith's UMC-1 and I need to transfer his warranty into my name. Granted the likelihood of someone abusing that is highly unlikely.

As long as you were the original buyer he just calls and they transfer that unit from your name to his.

Really? If that is the case, that is a poor policy. Where is the safeguard for the actual owner of the unit? Anyone could call and say I just purchased Joe Smith's UMC-1 and I need to transfer his warranty into my name. Granted the likelihood of someone abusing that is highly unlikely.

I don't see a problem with it. Just like most cars, the warranty stays with the serial number of the unit. They warranty the unit, not the owner.

• Moderators

It's probably really a non-issue. I was just comparing it to say auto insurance. Let's say you own a Dodge Viper with Allstate and the guy down the road calls Allstate saying he has purchased your Viper and needs to cancel your coverage (ie warranty) and put his name on the insurance instead of you. They make the change without the actual owner (you) approving of the change. This just wouldn't happen in most other companies so I thought it strange that it could happen with audio gear warranties. I just would think it would need to be initiated by the owner...but again....it's probably a non-issue. [;)]

Below is the response I got from Emotive on the warranty transfer.

In order to transfer the warranty from you to a new owner, please respond to this email with the name and address of the new owner.  I will reply once the warranty has been transferred