clueless S&V

jdm56

Geez, you'd think the people who write for audio/video rags would know better, but apparently they don't. The July/August issue of Sound & Vision has a (too) short piece noting the passing of Paul W. Klipsch. Included is a picture of PWK with a klipschorn jubilee, which the article refers to as "the Klipschorn...which he patented in 1945." So much for editor Brian C. Fenton's audiophile credibility.

------------------

JDM

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 06-18-2002 at 12:56 AM

Frown.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Sometimes I think that an audio magazine with NO ADVERTISING in it would be a good idea. That way, the folks who test equipment and such would not feel an obligation towards their biggest buck advertisers when writing up tests and evaluations...and more DIRECT HONESTY would prevail in these tests and evaluations.

This same concept was utilized about a decade ago when a particular motorcycle magazine decided to change its format. It cancelled all of its ads, and overnight went from a glossy primarily touring rider oriented magazine to a black and white plain paper publication, but it not only survived without its advertising, it is thriving!! Why? Because the subscribers TRUST what they read in it is the straightforward TRUTH...with NO COMPROMISES in honesty in testing and evaluation in order to retain a big-buck advertiser!! Not only is it thriving, but it is getting increasingly better.

The same can be done for an audio mag, I am sure. BUT, trying to convince a publisher to back it would be the clincher...most publishers look at the bottom line...PROFITS over COST...and if they see little profit in it, they won't even consider it...Therefore, the flashiest mag with the glossiest paper wins!!...because it tends to attract the biggest advertising bucks...no matter whether its content is valid or not!!

The name of this subscription-only motorcycle mag? Motorcycle Consumer News...formerly Road Rider Magazine.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

S&V has it's place. I still like a lot of it. It is just a little hard to see how a mistake like that could be made. I mean, we're talking about the klipschorn here, which has been around for over fifty years!

David Ranada and Ken Richardson, I trust. Maybe Pohlman on a good day. But most of the rest of that S&V crew, particularly the computer and "multi-media" guys have no audio cred in my house.

------------------

JDM

I agree HDBR. Wonder how much money it would take to do that, and then how much they would have to charge per issue. I bet that they could handle it, i mean come on, ppl speaker $1000's on home theaters all the time and it is growing fast.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>