RC-7 questions

K5SS

I put out an add looking for a mint black RC-7 a few days ago and as luck would have it, I got a reply from someone that has one. Now comes my questions:

1) RC-7 good match for RF-3's?

2) What do good condition RC-7's typically sell for?

3) Large improvement over RC-3?

Thanks in advance guys. I really didn't think someone would contact me so quickly.

1) The RC-7 will work very well with your RF-3s. Some may say overkill, but I think it's good to have that in a center channel. That's where most of your movie is at.

2) Good condition will be around $400-500 depending on location and buyer/seller situation. Quite a few on Ebay have sold in the $380 area, but then there's shipping.

3) I changed to the RF-7 front stage after having an RF-3 system for about 7 years. The RC-7 is a big improvement.

I really didn't think someone would contact me so quickly.

This is a great forum!

This may very well be a situation where YMMV, but there is a good chance with the RC-7 up front you will notice the difference on the upper end between it and your RF-3s and will be jonesin' for RF-7s. Fwiw, the larger compression driver really makes the higher frequencies clear and crisp and from my experience the RF-3s can't compete....That said, if you look at my sig you will see that I use RF-3s as side surrounds and they work EXCELLENT in that regard as long as you have a good power supply to drive them efficiently. Good Luck.

• Moderators

I would totally pair an RC-7 with RF-3's (even though they are not voice matched). RC-7 is a fantastic speaker. Also, if you ever get the upgrade bug and find a good deal on a pair of RF-5 or RF-7, you will already have the matching center.

RC-7 is a considerable improvement over the RC-3. I wasn't impressed with the RC-3.

I really didn't think someone would contact me so quickly.

It's cause we rock! [:P]

I would totally pair an RC-7 with RF-3's (even though they are not voice matched)....C-7 is a considerable improvement over the RC-3. I wasn't impressed with the RC-3.

I agree that the RC-7 is a considerable improvement over the RC-3. Fwiw, the reason I put "YMMV," is because I tried the RF-3s up front with the RC-7 and did not like the sound, and as you mentioned they weren't voice matched to each other. That said, I was also used to the RF-7s in my front soundstage and that may have influenced my opinion.

Thanks guys. He wants $550 for it so I am thinking... At this point, what's another $550 haha. The RC-7 won't fit into my stand so I will have to put it above my DLP. The RC-64 is sounding better and better. Plus it would give me a reason to buy Raf-63's next year. Thanks again!