is, I have a chance to get a great deal on a pair of P-38F speakers. I
have never heard or seen these in person. Any thoughts on these? I am
old school and used to speakers having lareg woofers not three small
woofers. I am sure with all the engineering I am sure they are great
but just having problems making a choice. I would not be losing money
and could sell them eaisly if I choose. Any thoughts would be
appreciated. I would be using the speakers with a home theater system
and music wise I am a big fan of progressive rock such as the Flower
Kings, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Spocks Beard, etc.

Buy them, you have nothing to lose.

They sound very smooth and completely disappear in the room if set up right. keep them about 3 feet from the back and side walls if you can. Sound is similar to B&W 800 series but require much less power. The music that you like is somewhat detailed, the Palladiums will shine. They really are world class speakers.

Remember that if you decide to go HT it will cost you a bundle for a center and surrounds.

Hope you can get used to 3 small woofers. I think that they will still sound OK even with the little woofers.

Hi Assumer, I've owned these for a year and they are outstanding speakers. I am never ceased to be amazed at how good they are. The detail and power are beautiful, and, since you asked, so is the emotion. Jokes aside, they really do perform as advertised and there isn't any type of music where I where I have found them lacking. If I had to describe them in a word, I would say "alive". I have a full set of Palladiums in my 7.2 system. I highly recommend them and I seriously doubt if I will ever replace them. I hope you enjoy them as much with music and HT as I do.

I agree wholeheartedly with Shake. The P-38F's were what I had to use In my "classical class" in Indy in the 2008 Pilgrimage. Search out my threads from the June-Sept 2008 Pilgrimage threads for more detail. They were really special speakers for my classical selections.

Two comments, though -- for a special level of linear, really full and extended deep bass, you might see if you can swing the matching Palladium sub. I didn't hear them without the sub. I did hear a pair of P-39's w/o the sub; it was plenty of bass but I missed the extra from the sub. Overall, I liked the p-38's as I heard them better.

The other comment is to match them with commensurate electronics. Klipsch HQ changed out the excellent Aragons they had in 2008, for an Onkyo Integra pre-pro at last summer's Pilgrimage. Unfortunately not in the same league, and it showed in reduced musicality and excitement in what we heard.

I agree wholeheartedly with Shake. The P-38F's were what I had to use In my "classical class" in Indy in the 2008 Pilgrimage. Search out my threads from the June-Sept 2008 Pilgrimage threads for more detail. They were really special speakers for my classical selections.

Two comments, though -- for a special level of linear, really full and extended deep bass, you might see if you can swing the matching Palladium sub. I didn't hear them without the sub. I did hear a pair of P-39's w/o the sub; it was plenty of bass but I missed the extra from the sub. Overall, I liked the p-38's as I heard them better.

The other comment is to match them with commensurate electronics. Klipsch HQ changed out the excellent Aragons they had in 2008, for an Onkyo Integra pre-pro at last summer's Pilgrimage. Unfortunately not in the same league, and it showed in reduced musicality and excitement in what we heard.

Yea, I was kidding about the three woofers. That is how they match the efficiency of the horns.

As far as subs, I have not heard the Palladium sub. My JL 113 works great with the P38's.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Assumer, A pair will come along if you want them. I got all of mine on the cheap except for the center.

I agree. Just keep saving and be ready to buy when they appear. I wasn't looking for or expecting to find a pair of Belles or a pair of La Scala IIs at a price I could afford, but in the first case I was alerted by a forum member and in the second case I just happened to check the Garage Sale section one day.

I realized they were good deals in both cases and I acted fast. Before I knew it, I had speakers that I'd thought would be always out of reach.

Another great deal was a pair of Heresy IIs. The owner reduced the price, because he needed the money to pay for the La Scalas he'd just bought. One phone call and I was heading to the mainland to pick them up.

Be patient and have the cash handy.