Veneer Expertise Needed

hornlover60

Does anyone have experience veneering belles? Can the top hat be removed from the base cabinet? Is the grill cloth easily removed for veneering?
Thank you in advance,
hornlover60

It's been more than 20 years since I had a pair of Belles but best I can recall the grill frames slid straight forward and the tophats were held on by wood screws.

I don't recall ever removing the grills or tophats though.

The Belle tophat can be removed. I am reconditioning a pair of Belles I purchased from forum member Jeepers.

Use a short or stubby straight blade screwdriver and disconnect the driver wires from the crossover network. There will be 3 pairs of wires, a fourth pair if the speaker is hooked up to an amplifier or receiver. Remove the 2 screws from the crossover network and remove the crossover network from the top hat. Unscrew the K55 squaker driver from the horn and remove it from the top hat.

Get a light source and look along the bottom sides of the top hat. You should see 4 screws with nuts along the bottom edge, 2 on the left and 2 on he right. Using the approprate size wrench ( I used a 7/16) remove the four screws. Using 2 people, the top hat can be now be lifted off. One person stand in the left side and the other on the right side. Grasp the rear edge of the top hat with one hand and the front of the top hat along the speaker cloth. Lift the top hat off the bass bin. You may need to "rock" the tophat to break it free from the bass bin. Careful the top hat will be front heavy due to the mid horn and tweeter attached to the front.

Lay a blanket or other cloth on a table, floor etc and lay the top hat, top side down, on the cloth. The motor board (the wood covered with grille cloth and the horns attached) can be removed by unscrewing the 4 screws along the front of the top hat. 2 screws on each side. Lift the motor board off and set aside. Careful not to damage the Klipsch logos on the grill cloth.