MWM Questions

tromprof

I have had a lot of fun the last couple of days reading about the MWM bass bin, and it looks like a fun project to build one. In my basement system I have a pair of Klipschorns with Volti Fc-260 mids with K55 drivers, Crites tweeters, and Crites A4500 crossovers. If I were to build MWM bass bins to replace the K-horn bass bins, how much modification to this setup would be required. Could I keep the crossover points the same? If I needed to lower the mid crossover point, how low can the K55 effectively go?

I think that top might keep up all right with a single woofer MWM bin. Probably not with a double woofer set of bins.

I have seen a professional installation in a Church that used 4 MWMs bins and 5 Lascala tops.

Bob Crites

I think that top might keep up all right with a single woofer MWM bin. Probably not with a double woofer set of bins.

I have seen a professional installation in a Church that used 4 MWMs bins and 5 Lascala tops.

Bob Crites

Thanks for the reply, this sounds promising. I love the way the system sounds now but the K-horn bass bin is all I am really using of the K-horn. Seems like a waste. If the MWM is good replacement I could get he K-horns back upstairs in the teaching studio.

• Moderators

Bob Crites

Thanks for the reply, this sounds promising. I love the way the system sounds now but the K-horn bass bin is all I am really using of the K-horn. Seems like a waste. If the MWM is good replacement I could get he K-horns back upstairs in the teaching studio.

Not the same I know but just to give you something kind of similar.

I use these in the workshop and in the yard. It's 2 single bins one used on each side,(K-43 drivers) the top half is just like a split LaScala but diy. It's a Bob Crites tweeter, and a k400 mid horn and a rebuilt but standard AA crossover, on each side, here is one. It is similar to a LaScala but more bass.

I had a couple of days work in the yard so I put them outside for music.

Edit; That's window screen over the horns, wasp kept building mud nest inside. [:@]

post-11804-13819829337212_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If your talking about that little vertical strip in the back chamber, I put that there because I could not find the T-nuts Klipsch used which have a screw on each side to keep them from backing out.

Regular t-nuts can fall out the back if you push the bolt a little to hard when mounting the driver. Where the t-nuts mount from the back side of the mother board there is NO way to get to that area after assembled. I put that strip over the back of the t-nuts with holes drilled in them so the bolts can go all the way through. This way there is no way to push out the t-nut with that strip glued in.

I am glad you said something I forgot about that and it's very important for someone building, it's impossible to get in there if you were to push out the t-nut.

It is fun to play with different tops on the MWM. This top is an EV Varipex that I used for several years on mine. The Variplex takes over at 300hz for midbass and the cross to the tweet is at 1200hz. A few watts will get this rig so loud that it is scary.

post-9312-13819829348096_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Your not bugging me, I sent you another PM with my email address.

The only thing i could think of besides you will need help sometimes to flip them over is when you go to drill the holes for the motherboard to mount the driver it helps to put the driver there to make sure you get it lined up because there is little or no play, it's tight.

Also on the outside door it may be easier to put it up where it goes and mark off the inside on the back side of the door. it's only a little strip around the bin that the door bolts onto and you would not want to have a screw close to the edge.

That little piece of wood or whatever you use to keep the T-nut in place is very important.

One thing i did was when I went to glue and screw on the top I flipped it over and marked where the inside boards were, so when you go to glue it down you have marks as where to put screws so you don't miss any boards, it could be easy to do. I used screws and glue.

I was lucky I had a set of singles made by Klipsch to copy, so i just held my cut pieces to the originals to get where to drill for the bolt holes, it's not that bad really I just hate to spend $50 a sheet and waste wood. It took almost 3 sheets for each bin. By the time I got past a few bins i had enough small pieces left for doors and some inside pieces so it really took me 11 sheets to do 4 single bins.

After i finished the first bin I switched where i bought the wood from, instead of 7 ply it was more, still red Oak, and the same price. [Y]

post-11804-13819829391212_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It is fun to play with different tops on the MWM. This top is an EV Varipex that I used for several years on mine. The Variplex takes over at 300hz for midbass and the cross to the tweet is at 1200hz. A few watts will get this rig so loud that it is scary.

I like the way that looks, I would think there are many different tops that would sound good.

I like the way that looks, I would think there are many different tops that would sound good.

Correct, I can just see some of the girls in my Yoga class on a stack of 4 MWM just talking about stuff.[;)]

• Moderators

Correct, I can just see some of the girls in my Yoga class on a stack of 4 MWM just talking about stuff.Wink

I could see it now, [:P] they are like a little stage.

I'd be happy to see that even if they were not connected to anything ! [:D][&]