What about RB51's for mains, and (1) on its side for a center?

border411

I think I might have gotten the wifes approval for a slightly higher center channel, ONLY if it is shorter. Which means that I could get another set of RB51's and turn one on its side! If I did that I could cover it with some black speaker fabric (whatever the technical term is)....couldnt I? I then could do the RB41's for the rears. What do you all think? Also, I still need more help in my other thread about rear speaker placement if anyone can chime in on that. Thanks!

An RC-52 is actually what you need for a center for RB-51's. There is also an RB-51 system which consists of:

(2) RB-51 II Bookshelf Speakers(1) RC-52 II Center Channel Speaker(2) RS-42 II Surround Speakers(1) SW-308

This is for information only. Personally I would shop lots of subs.

How big is your home theater room?

I understand what center belongs to those mains, but my wife has stated if it is over 6" tall, then it has to be short. If it is under (for aesthetic reasons) 6", then it can be longer. I am keeping my F12 sub. RS's will not work in my environment, as the couch is against the rear wall, and the speakers have to be in the back upper corners. Going monopole in the rears I think.

• Moderators

The RC 42 is 5.4" tall.........and the RC 54 is 6.5" tall.............yes you could use a RB-51 on it's side.

One question is the height thing because it needs to fit in a shelf (understandable) or just a demand she has, think she would notice the 1/2" ?

This is just our den, not a theater room, so aesthetics are coming into play. I have been looking at the icons, but they are becoming hard to find. I wish they also had a smaller satellite for the rear corners. I do not want a huge box sitting up there on the mantel. If I was going to do a fake wall I would just mount an inwall speaker like I did at my townhouse and be done with it. I can get such a good deal on the 51's, that is why I was trying to think outside the box.

Mustang guy....if I had a man cave like yours I could get anything I wanted, in fact she ok'd a theater in the basement, but is part of our major remodel plans so it is a few years off. Until that time, and since she makes formal-living-area-decisions, it is what it is. If you are married, I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Dtel....it has to fit between the TV and the fireplace mantel, so if I go any bigger I can't fit a bigger TV on the wall, which I am sure is coming down the pipe soon.

• Moderators

I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Dtel....it has to fit between the TV and the fireplace mantel, so if I go any bigger I can't fit a bigger TV on the wall, which I am sure is coming down the pipe soon.

Well that makes sense, I would want a bigger Tv also.

Yes I have been married 34 years but I don't know what your talking about. My wife picked out our last speakers for 2 CH because she liked the sound, and there 6' wide and 5' tall each, yes that's feet. there are also 6 other speakers in the living room she would not part with that are not small, forte ll's, a sub and 65" Tv.

Your wife would have heart failure I would guess, see what she says about this. That room is 24'x18' to the pole.

Show her this pic. [Y]

post-11804-13819829851972_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

By any chance would putting the speaker on its side affect the dispersion of the horn? Could it possibly fit under the mantel? Or build a new one and fit it in the mantel

I would worry about heat if it's a fireplace ?

They say it does affect the dispersion but to be honest I have not heard it myself, my center is sideways and the 3 rear's.

To me are you really doing critical listening when using a minimum of 5 speakers from different angles, to the point that you would hear that difference ? To me no, my ears are not that good, there really not unfortunately. [:$]

Got ya. I have enough space for them. Hey scrappydue....what size living so you have where you have 41/42's in it. Do you think it is a good setup? Where are your surrounds located, and is there room behind your listening position for the surrounds to be effective? I have a thread with a picture in it, and if haven't already done so I would like your input for the surrounds(getting confused as to who had responded and who hasn't!). Thanks.

• Moderators

Don't know where your at with this but if 6" height is the limit I would use the RC-42 before I used a RB-51 on it's side, I think the 42 might do better for a center. imo

Did you show the wife the pic ? just interested in her reaction.

Don't know where your at with this but if 6" height is the limit I would use the RC-42 before I used a RB-51 on it's side, I think the 42 might do better for a center. imo

Did you show the wife the pic ? just interested in her reaction.

Yes...she saw it....and said the speakers were too small (j/k).