Center Channel Placement

Ssoto0055

Hello all. I was reading up on the placement of the center channel. Since I moved my center channel sounds a little too bassy. I read that many times this is a result of a center channel being placed in some type of enclosure. I have a Synergy C-2 and it sits in a cabinet. A few years back I had it sitting on top of an old box tv and it sounded great. However, since my move I have some issues with clarity. Is this speaker designed to be on top of the tv as I had it before? I can't put it on top of the tv because I have an LCD now. Would mounting it on the wall above the tv help? If it wasn't meant for that, I may have issues with it too from what I've read. I think the best place to get an answer is here on the Klipsch forum. Thanks.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry much about it being in a cabinet, just try to keep the from of the speaker at the edge of the cabinet, and tilted toward your ears. Maby it was just loosing some bass where it was before, might be correct now ?

I don't think it makes a difference if it's on top of the tv or below it if it's pointed at your ears, be sure to reset the receiver since you changed it's position.

I wouldn't worry much about it being in a cabinet, just try to keep the from of the speaker at the edge of the cabinet, and tilted toward your ears. Maby it was just loosing some bass where it was before, might be correct now ?

I don't think it makes a difference if it's on top of the tv or below it if it's pointed at your ears, be sure to reset the receiver since you changed it's position.

Agreed. I've used mine in both open and closed placements with identical results.. Shouldn't affect the sound as its not a ported speaker but rather a sealed one. As noted, look at what may be causing reverberations (cabinet, walls, etc. ).

if you are worried about possible cabinet cavity resonances there is an easy way for you to establish if this is the case or not. Install some damping material what ever you have which will do the job. Wrap the speaker with a wool blanket use, some poly fill or fiberglass to fill any open space around the speaker within the cavity and have a listen. If the sound remains more or less unchanged then you can safely rule out cavity resonance and move on to look elsewhere. I hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

I have had a similar issue with using a KLF-C7 inside of an entertainment cabinet. It was mounted right below the TV and slightly angled up directly at the viewing position. I had issues with what I would call muffled dialog. I tried experimenting with the avr's crossover and level control but was never able to cure my issue. Later the speaker was set on an open entertainment shelf and the speaker came alive. I did not try any damping as suggested. Curious to the outcome.

Good Morning,

Ok my Father has had the exact same issue. He has a RC-62 first gen center and when it was placed inside of the cabinet mounted above his tv it had a bassy/buzz sound like a tin can. It had about 1 inch clearance on the sides and top and rested flat on the bottom. I installed some acoustic foam around the sides and tilted the center down towards the listening area and problem solved. I think if the speaker is flush or sealed tight in the cabinet it is fine much like synergyfreak (a forum member on here) has his RC-64 but when there is a few inches of space around the speaker to the cabinet walls it creates an odd effect. Hope this helps. Acoustic foam is cheap and easy to apply.

Thanks Moray. I tried it with a big soft pillow, but nothing. I also tried pulling the speaker out and having it sit out on the cabinet, but no luck. I am thinking it might be the room. I have a large living room and even though I have furniture, it still echoes. Do you or anyone else know if the room can be causing it? If so my wife might end up getting that large sectional she really wanted.