Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band

The Dude

I have owned many, many pressings of Sgt P and all seem to be on the bright side. I had the regular MFSL, the UHQR MFSL (which I sold for close to $400), a couple originals and some special editions. Maybe the CD is the way to go with this one although I haven't heard the new release. BTW - My kids bought me the new version of Rubber Soul for Christmas and I had no issues with scratches, noise or warping. I still prefer the MFSL but it's pretty close, especially considering the difference in price!

Hi Gary,

Not to disagree with you but, I find the SP from the UK BB to sound awesome not bright at all!!!

I'm probably going to get a bunch of flack for what I'm about to say, but here goes: I think the latest Beatle collection on vinyl sounds great for what it is. I haven't run across any warps, skips, scratches, etc. I find it very consistent in the overall quality of the collection. The artwork is also a good representation of the original as well.

I don't think any of the Beatles recordings are of the audiophile quality that would want me to seek out a better recording, although I believe that some recordings are probably better than others. If you are a die-hard Beatles fan and think that seeking out the very best recordings make a difference, I understand that. I personally believe that, for me, the latest boxed set delivers a good enough representation of their music to satisfy the need hear music recorded 40 years ago.

I really thought that I would be disappointed with the vinyl set after hearing that it was taken from a digital master. I am a huge fan of analog, and was quite suprised how good the vinyl sounded. Maybe it's just because everything sounds better on my system played through the turntable instead of the CD player, maybe it's all in my head. My point is that you shouldn't be afraid of being disappointed in the newest boxed set.

I have owned many, many pressings of Sgt P and all seem to be on the bright side. I had the regular MFSL, the UHQR MFSL (which I sold for close to $400), a couple originals and some special editions. Maybe the CD is the way to go with this one although I haven't heard the new release. BTW - My kids bought me the new version of Rubber Soul for Christmas and I had no issues with scratches, noise or warping. I still prefer the MFSL but it's pretty close, especially considering the difference in price!

Hi Gary,

Not to disagree with you but, I find the SP from the UK BB to sound awesome not bright at all!!!

That might be the only version I haven't heard. I'll take your word for it, Jay. I've seen the blue box (can't remember who's house I was at, maybe Joe Sportster's) but we didn't listen to SP. I'll be happy to listen after you send the set for me to review.[;)]

I'm probably going to get a bunch of flack for what I'm about to say, but here goes: I think the latest Beatle collection on vinyl sounds great for what it is. I haven't run across any warps, skips, scratches, etc. I find it very consistent in the overall quality of the collection. The artwork is also a good representation of the original as well.

I don't think any of the Beatles recordings are of the audiophile quality that would want me to seek out a better recording, although I believe that some recordings are probably better than others. If you are a die-hard Beatles fan and think that seeking out the very best recordings make a difference, I understand that. I personally believe that, for me, the latest boxed set delivers a good enough representation of their music to satisfy the need hear music recorded 40 years ago.

I really thought that I would be disappointed with the vinyl set after hearing that it was taken from a digital master. I am a huge fan of analog, and was quite suprised how good the vinyl sounded. Maybe it's just because everything sounds better on my system played through the turntable instead of the CD player, maybe it's all in my head. My point is that you shouldn't be afraid of being disappointed in the newest boxed set.

Thanks for the input, after reading some good reviews, and thinking about it long enough. I think once I get the cash together I might give the new box set a try. At least I know it will be new, and not all scratched up from some unknown seller other then a forum member.

Thanks for the input, after reading some good reviews, and thinking about it long enough. I think once I get the cash together I might give the new box set a try. At least I know it will be new, and not all scratched up from some unknown seller other then a forum member.

Careful with that thought I have in the past bought brand new LP's that skipped or was warped or scratched, just because it's new doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect. I think and feel I would rather buy from someone I trust and they say it is this or that, just a thought.

Careful with that thought I have in the past bought brand new LP's that skipped or was warped or scratched, just because it's new doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect. I think and feel I would rather buy from someone I trust and they say it is this or that, just a thought.

I could agree with that.

If you really want the best, non bright version of SP you'll need either an original UK copy, a mono reissue from 82, or a Blue Box reissue. Those are are the best. Japanese mono from '82 or '86 are also very good, albeit a bit more on the bright side. Nothing else comes close. I haven't heard the latest vinyl reissues but long time collector friends have are uniformly not impressed. BTW, the latest mono cd from the box sounds very good on my system, and not bright at all.

My thoughts exactly, and what I was trying to say in my earlier post. There has been a lot of negativity towards this new boxed set and I feel it is unwarranted. I have 1 LP that skips during one song. Everything else is dead quiet. There are a couple that are brighter than others, and some sound awfully good! They are not on the same level as a lot of my audiophile recordings, but I was not expecting them to be either. They were less than half the cost of a lot of those recordings, so I feel this set provides good value for the sound they deliver.

Mike