wondering what most do ?

so im finally ripping my entire cd collection to lossless, and im planning on backing that up on an external harddrive so im saying to myself why keep all the CD's laying around taking up space. I started a thread on the garage sell to guage interest in selling the whole collection, but im kinda emotionally attached here as some of these took many years to find and aquire

so what did you all do after ripping to hard drives ?

Hi Joe. Good to hear from you. I wound up donating all my media to goodwill becuase the write off value was more than the few bucks per media I could get selling them on a per each basis. No packing and shipping hassles. I pretty much dropped off 249 bucks worth each week to it was all gone. 249 is the number where you say what ever you brin in is worth. over 249, the worth is determined by what it sells for.

Keep mine. they don't take up much space to store. Can rerip them if I'd ever need to, play them sometimes on other systems loan them to freinds to listen to them. You can send all of yours to me, I'll pay for shipping.

hey michael how you been buddy ? I thought strongly about enlisting your help in picking up and shipping some headphones in long island area, but decided not to impose. how did the lascala project shape up ?

merkin id like to help you but im thinking not[;)]

as far as loaning out cd's goes i have several i would not mind doing that but i have some rare sets i think i would have to tell friends no (pete townshend life house chronicles for instance)

I wound up going all out on the lascala's. about 200 bucks in black lacquer paint, 100 bucks for paint gun, AL-4 xovers, K-55X mids, K-77-F tweets. I'm about 90% done with the cabs, but they are good enough for now. Added Cornwall vents to the bottoms via a riser and sealed the backs and installed AL-4 bi-wire input jacks. They sound great, but my listening area is undergoing construction so they are in storage right now.

I backed mine up on my website. I have enough space and they guarantee no data loss.

At €11 a year I find this a real good backup possibility.

Here we are not allowed to sell them and just keep the backups, they want to see the media or it is piracy since you do not "own" the rights anymore. I have never heard of anyone getting busted for it though..

Hard Drives fail, even backups.

so do cd's, look it up i like my chances with 2 hard drives

wait, are these cds that you ripped and burned? CD's that are cd-r will fail as their pits over time will fail as a result of the organic dye they use. Real cds, the ones that you buy are pressed meaning the silver oxide won't break down like the organic dye used in cd-r and dvd-r. Unless you somehow are rough and damange the silver oxide and let it oxidized.

Hard Drives fail, even backups.

That's why God (or Al Gore?) invented mirrored raid states.

Way ta go Joe!!! Personally, I let out a big sigh of relief when I ripped the bulk of my CD collection to FLAC. Did it approx. 6 years ago. Never sold the CD's though, too lazy to want to fuss with that...... besides, it took me a long time to collect them too. For security on my personal and work PC's, I run a Raid 1 configuration on auxillary HD's, it's the only way to fly.

Raids are not backups. Even Raid 1 is not good enough depending upon how many hard drives there are. I have had Raid 6 fail and lost terabytes of information. Raid 5 are even worse.

You haven't got a clue son, not even a clue.

Hey Gilbert how you been? Im about 70 percent thru with the rip, when finished im off to buy an external hard drive and make the backup. I have a good lead on selling the collection as a whole after im done. There is definately an emotional connection here as it takes years to put a collection togeather but space is of a premium for me now and i dont have the funds for storage units my next chore is to learn about FLAC right now im ripping to WAV lossless. My computer knowledge is severly limited.

You haven't got a clue son, not even a clue.

Yeah okay. First don't call me son because I doubt anyone would want you as a father or even a father figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Data_backup

Data backup

A RAID system used as secondary storage is not an alternative to backing up
data
. In RAID levels > 0, a RAID protects from catastrophic data
loss caused by physical damage or errors on a single drive within the
array (or two drives in, say, RAID 6). However, a true backup system has
other important features such as the ability to restore an earlier
version of data, which is needed both to protect against software errors that write unwanted data to secondary storage, and also to recover from user error
and malicious data deletion. A RAID can be overwhelmed by catastrophic
failure that exceeds its recovery capacity and, of course, the entire
array is at risk of physical damage by fire, natural disaster, and human
forces, while backups can be stored off-site. A RAID is also vulnerable
to controller failure because it is not always possible to migrate a
RAID to a new, different controller without data loss.[17]

http://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/articles/RAID-is-not-a-backup-solution.html

There are some who believe a RAID array

provides a backup solution. It does not.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135471-backup-master-class-philosophy-structure-and-why-raid-isnt-a-solution

Backup master class: Philosophy, structure, and why RAID isn’t a solution

http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/tech-tuesdays/raid-is-not-back-up/

I can go on.

Hey Gilbert how you been? Im about 70 percent thru with the rip, when finished im off to buy an external hard drive and make the backup. I have a good lead on selling the collection as a whole after im done. There is definately an emotional connection here as it takes years to put a collection togeather but space is of a premium for me now and i dont have the funds for storage units my next chore is to learn about FLAC right now im ripping to WAV lossless. My computer knowledge is severly limited.

Whatever you do don't take my advice, its not if I don't do anything web or data related at all.

Whatever you do don't take my advice, its not if I don't do anything web or data related at all.

I have no intention of taking your or anyones advice straight out of hand. Im one of those wierd peoople that gets opinions does a little research and then make my own decisions (therefore no one to blame but me) Sorry your offended but i dont know you or what you do for a living, further i dont really care, From what ive read from your various responses and by your avatar i beleive your main objective to to play devils advicate. It can be fun at times but not a game im into

I have no intention of taking your or anyones advice straight out of hand. Im one of those wierd peoople that gets opinions does a little research and then make my own decisions (therefore no one to blame but me) Sorry your offended but i dont know you or what you do for a living, further i dont really care, From what ive read from your various responses and by your avatar i beleive your main objective to to play devils advicate. It can be fun at times but not a game im into

That's perfectly fine. Its quite bold of you to make such claims as cds fail when you self professed "My computer knowledge is
severly limited." Also my last advise for you, if you switch to FLAC you will be limited to what media player you can use, as Apple's popular Itunes does not support FLAC and neither does windows media player. Also think about future DRM and how that will affect you. Don't know what DRM stands for, you should.

The avatar is a inside joke to those who are in the bullshlt section of the klipsch forum. Its making fun of some known people who make wild claims. I call a lot of bs there such as Gilbert claiming I don't know what I am talking about when in fact I run a physical Areca RAID 6 server.

Best advice I can give you

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion
that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

?
Isaac Asimov

best keep ignoring

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

Nice quote to prove my point. You are offering nothing that pertains to the question asked, and in fact my responses are a waste of time but i wander where all the intellectual types would be without all us laborous rubes to keep them healthy and alive. Ive dealt with a few so called self proclaimed intellectuals in my labors and more often than not they fail miserably.(point being that intellect takes many forms) You read your books and debate about it all day long and ill be in the trenches getting the job done.

When your called to the gate as we all will be one day i wonder if your intellectual supperiority will get you any further ? Theres nothing wrong with being educated and intelligent in fact im all for it.I want my children to go much further in school than what was afforded me. The problem starts when you act and feel superior