LS-BLS subwoofers help

BigFatDrum

So the electronic assembly in the pics is just the crossover only?

Was there ever a owners manual of operation for these Klipsch speakers?

I don't know what wattage these cabinets are rated at still...

Can you tell by the pics, my model, what min/maximum size of amp I should use then?

It's the passive AL xo. You need speaker-level (high level) inputs to it for it to produce sound. Here are the specs from the Klipsch website:

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM:

• BUILT UNTIL:

• CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
    HF: 4500Hz
    MF: 400Hz

• DIMENSIONS:
    35.5" (90.17cm) x 23.75" (60.33cm) x 24.5" (62.23cm)

• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
    Birch Plywood

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Fully horn-loaded

• FINISHES:
    Unfinished Birch, Birch Lacquer, Black Lacquer

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    53Hz-17kHz(+-) 4dB

• MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    121dB SPL

• MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    121dB SPL

• MID FREQUENCY HORN:
    Exponential Horn

• MIDRANGE:
    K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms

• POWER HANDLING:
    100 w max continuous (400 w peak)

• SENSITIVITY:
    104dB @ 1watt/1meter

• TWEETER:
    K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• WEIGHT:
    123 lbs. (55.84kg)

• WOOFER:
    K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite
    cone / folded horn-loaded

Was there ever a owners manual of operation for these Klipsch speakers?

Yes. High school physics and math class.

Seriously though. The Dope from Hope...over 40 pages worth of strict guidance on how to use your speaker, from the mouths of the people that put this company on the map. [8]

Nice acquisition BTY. Welcome aboard! [Y]

Hey thanks for answering. Ya I'm a noob about Klipsch, but I knew as soon as I saw them and felt the solidness ,that they were about something Awesome!
I have a 900 watt cerwin vega sub and 2/600 watt jbls all biamped that I play thru so I've never really needed anything else...after some reading about these I can hardly wait to hear them.
Yep, they have horns, so they are not really subs. When i first saw them i kept thinking how nice theyd work as some type of stereo bass monitors in a close proximity...so thtas why i had "sub syndrome" on my mind..stereo sub mixing...wild!
But I'm rethinking on all that now actually..
I will post some pics too, for sure! Really busy today at home, but i will get to this new project as this week unfolds.
Thank you very much for responding! I look forward to your comments to pics and suggestions!
..Interesting to read about the 50hz drop off .. Trace

La Scalas are definitely not subwoofers. They are regular speakers with a great clear midrange and upper bass, but very limited lower bass, due to their "small and portable" cabinet size. La Scalas were first designed for stage PA use, and some of the other Klipsch speakers built for PA/Pro Theater use are huge. You can see them here: http://www.klipsch.com/cinema-speakers?&n=0&va=t

Horn-loaded speakers have to be large, because of the physics involved in moving air the way they do. The limited low bass output of La Scalas means that most owners feel the need to add a sub or two, in order to properly hear the low bass in music and movies.

There are horn-loaded subwoofers, and those people who have them seem to love them. They go well with La Scalas, but direct-firing subs can work well, too, and are far more compact. For listening to music with little bass content, you can get by with 100 to 200 watt subs, but for most music and nearly all movies, I'd suggest at least 400 to 500 watts of subwoofer power.

Because of their high sensitivity (104 dB/W/M), La Scalas are easy to drive, and some members of this forum are driving them with amps rated at 5 watts per channel, while some others are using 1000 watts per channel. High-power amps like that can sound great, as long as you use some common sense with the volume setting and don't try to see how loud they can go. "A lot louder than you would ever need in your home" is how loud. The extra power can give very realistic dynamics, like on drumbeats and the like, but is not needed for overall volume.

"Headroom" is what the excess power can provide. It's only used for momentary peaks, and the speakers draw just a few watts most of the time.

The speakers are rated for 100 watts RMS, and 400 watts peak.

The recommended positioning for La Scalas is in the corners on the long wall of the listening room, toed-in toward the listening position. Optimum placing has the speakers and the listener forming three corners of an equilateral triangle. For example, if the speakers are 10 feet apart (measured at the centre of the cabinet fronts), the listener should be 10 feet away from them. This will give the best stereo imaging, and is recommended for most stereo speakers, of any brand.

Thank you Islander. Very helpful, and informative...I see youre patient and polite.

First pair of Klipsch I ever had..I remember the name when I was younger

but it didn't mean anything to me then.

I'm listening to them now. Very very very nice. And Clear!

It's those k55's. and they can get loud man!

I put the cabinets up on some solid wood dining tables to experiment with the low end projecting.

There is a noticeable difference! A cool experiment..am thinking about suspending these up in the corners

of the shop..10 foot walls here, chains, slanted and pointed...it could be cool!

These are just some huge nice stereo speakers I've ever had for just listening..

They are better for this instead of my instrument speakers by far.

Mongo..after I wrote that I did go searching..found some things, but had to bail due to time.

I came to the forum to hear from real ppl who already knew, possibly saving some time..

Thanks for posting those specs. That answered the tech stuff I didn't know.

CECAA850, you offered a helpful tip..I know about wattage and 25 can be dang loud really.

Maybe you remember am radios in cars only being about 12-15w...ya, loud!

I'm running them on a Marantz16b..one of my first "big" stereo amps from way back.

Had to drive 5 hrs both ways to get it!! That's a story in itself..nvm!

It's exactly a 100w amp. This is just all meant to be!

My volume is plenty, not even using it all, but these speakers are waaaaay better

than what it used to play at. Those speakers I don't remember the name, but I fried them along time ago. Haha!

These sound great..Yes is playing thru them right now..I can hardly wait to hear KnifesEdge by ELP and a whole bunch of other

songs.

QuietHollow...I don't even know wth your talking about. Hhaha!

Thank you everyone. Thank you.

I now know what a Klipsch sounds like first hand, now, today..

They are solidly awesome, and I have some! WooOooT !

A cool experiment..am thinking about suspending these up in the corners
of the shop..1

If you do, hang them upside down, with the bass horns in the corners. You will get a bit better bass out of them that way.

Love my LaScalas... I use 3.5 watt amps on them and they are plenty loud for me. I usually never listen over 90db.

Bruce

I will definitely try that!!!

And instead of chains and building special holders (I was never going to drill in them you know! [8-|] )

I'm going to hand tie some climbing rope into 6" netting, custom macramé type thing.

It'll be easy to adjust them in positions.

Thanks for that suggestion, because the corners here are prime realestate for these,

plus I am cursed with experimentation anyway. Haha

I want to use a loop of the end of Carl palmer's toccata drum solo to play with positioning

because it pans and phases..head spinning. Haha..there's alot of music to test for this.

Btw these LaScalas sound beautiful, "clarity full" at low volume.

First thing this a.m., they were on. I know now what I've been missing.

My friend is going to bring over his turntable this weekend so we can listen to some old albums.

It's going to be dang cool!

I NeVeR will need to use all 100w in my 24x36 shop.. I just so happened to have the amp I'm using,

...all the headroom is an extra.

My instrument Jbl's and Cerwinvega are run with a ton of headroom too. I sure like sound

done like this, been kind of spoiled with all the 2100w there..but they're for live instruments.

These LaScala's are just golden. They are the right listening speakers.

I lucked out for sure..pretty grateful.

you know that i"ve noticed for awhile now, for some reason all drummers just love La Scala"s. Rock on man, put some floyd on.....Roost

Drums sound closer to the real thing on La Scalas than on any other speakers I've ever heard.