FS La Scalas in Rochester, NY

Yankee Frank

1982 very nice

http://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/3671613493.html

the ad says they are stained birch. these are NOT stained birch. they are birch raw and this is the only flavor i like. if they were in my city i would be all over these

I don't know, IMO $1,500 is a pretty lot for LaScalas. I recently bought a pair local for $1,000 which I thought was on the high side but they were black and mint.

There's another pair in Rochester for $1,200 if that makes a trip look more attractive to you. And they've been reposted on Craig's several times over the last few months so they may be willing to bargin. Lot's of studio equiment in the same listing: http://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/3689086465.html

1982 very nice

the ad says they are stained birch. these are NOT stained birch. they are birch raw and this is the only flavor i like. if they were in my city i would be all over these

I don't know, IMO $1,500 is a pretty lot for LaScalas. I recently bought a pair local for $1,000 which I thought was on the high side but they were black and mint.

There's another pair in Rochester for $1,200 if that makes a trip look more attractive to you. And they've been reposted on Craig's several times over the last few months so they may be willing to bargin. Lot's of studio equiment in the same listing: http://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/3689086465.html

Mike, i don't look at price i look at product. LaScalas in BR from the factory ( no stain ) rarely show up in the used market. 1500 doesn't bother me one bit. you can buy black scalas every day of the week but you won't find BR's very often. owners tend to keep them

1982 very nice

Mike, i don't look at price i look at product. LaScalas in BR from the factory ( no stain ) rarely show up in the used market. 1500 doesn't bother me one bit. you can buy black scalas every day of the week but you won't find BR's very often. owners tend to keep them

Russ is right. Many owners will stain or (gasp) paint their raw birch speakers. Those there are a sweet pair. [Y]

I didn't know that Russ. Not looking much at the used LaScala market, I assumed that raw was the most common based on my experience with chasing down four pair of Heresys.

As for black LaScalas, I have over the years seen a lot of do-it-yourself stained black and, as Mongo says, painted (a shame) but this pair I acquired recently is the first factory finished black pair I've personally come across--and they are perfect.

In any event, if you're in market, I sure hope you find what you're after. And as you've indicated, when it comes down to getting the speakers you want, a few hundred bucks is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

All the best to you and yours,

Mike

First pair of a Heritage I picked up last year are raw birch '76 La Scalas. The first pair of Heresys I picked up last year were raw birch and both of those sets are totally raw birch. birch. Those in the Craigslist pic looked like someone put a clearcoat of lacquer on the top, fronts, and side. The backs still look raw. Maybe it is my weal eyes trying to decipher the pics. Seller says "stained," but it looks like after market clear lacquer everywhere but on the backs. I could be wrong. They are still beauties.

First pair of a Heritage I picked up last year are raw birch '76 La Scalas. The first pair of Heresys I picked up last year were raw birch and both of those sets are totally raw birch. birch. Those in the Craigslist pic looked like someone put a clearcoat of lacquer on the top, fronts, and side. The backs still look raw. Maybe it is my weal eyes trying to decipher the pics. Seller says "stained," but it looks like after market clear lacquer everywhere but on the backs. I could be wrong. They are still beauties.

Rhetor, can you post some pictures of your raw birch scalas and heresys

raw birch turns a sweet yellow color after 20-30 years. if you sand them down you lose all of that and turn them almost white color.

my point is i likem the way they are in the picture and not stained or painted black or put wheels on them or top grills. NAKED from the factory. as far as someone putting lacquer on them i can't see it. your eyes must be better than most to be able to see the tops thru the towels. [:D]

like this NAKED

Russ, Sure can post some pics later this week . . . Haven't ever taken a picture of any of my speakers or setups . . . Now that the Scott 299D is setup in the HT, probably time for some,pics too! Wow, what an amazing sound with vinyl!

I bought the La Scalas in a late night Craigslist buy . . . Was kind of disappointed when I drove 3 hours one way when the guy opened his storage unfinished raw La Scalas with no nice veneer finish. Like some others, I simply assumed they were so run of the mill and common. Just ignorance on my part and my first Heritage buy and learning curve . . . I had never even heard a La Scala . . . Bought them because smart members here told me I was getting a great buy . . . Which I did. Needed recapped . . . My first try worked . . . And needed a new tweeter . . . Bought CT125s . . . amazing Crites tweeter . . . but wound up going back old school original round K77 when I located a reasonable pair from a forum member. My intention was to resend them to get rid of a few crud marks and small stains . . . maybe stain them and lacquer, but at least lacquer . . . When I was about to start sanding, my wife stopped me! Said she loved them better than the pristine oiled walnut Belles I got later or the grilled walnut-stained and lacquered all from the factory La Scalas I picked up. So, like yours . . . My '76 La Scalas are Naked and going to stay that way along with the naked Heresys . . . Both sets survivors like me, and I sure do not want to be sanded either (if it is permissible to anthropomorphize speakers). About the seller's pic above maybe being lacquered after the fact, in my post I said my eyes may be wrong, looked like they might just be a coat of clear lacquer on the sellers pics, especially since he used the words "stained birch finish" in the ad and they obviously are not "stained" and the stickers indicate raw birch. I do have one set of a heresies a non-original owner polyurethaned over the original factory walnut stained and lacquered finish; after he sanded the original finish off he stained the walnut again and polyurethaned them. So, could just be I am wrong about the seller's La Scalas and those of the seller in this thread are naked, instead of "stained birch finish." Just wondering if "stained" meant an aftermarket lacquer.

• 3 weeks later...