Cube Amp/Carver M400t ?Quality

billybob

Was intriqued by this, controversial(?) legend and would like any opinions on the amp. I read where Phase Linear., some of the amps went up like a rocket literally. Read the same about the cube So, safety and performance and well, just curious. Did read about the hologram effect in the past. Was told by technician co-worker before that Carver did not sound good with Klipsch. Thinking, 201 watter at 8@hm, something may happen. Weighs 10 lbs?

Anyway thanks, Billy![sn]

I bought a Carver cube amp, m 400, last year for my RC 62 and it works well and sounds great. Due to age, they may need some work, I think you can have them looked at if you search the internet. It is a powerful little thing. I tried it in bridge mode and it is just to much power at 500 watts for the RC 64. I think it is like most vintage amp, get them serviced which is what I did with my Yamaha amps.

Got a Phase Linear 400 . . . Had it reworked and fix put in so that it would not become a Flame Linear . . . Using it to run my Khorns,in the HT . . . I love the vu meters and the amp has more power than I will ever need. I would not run any vintage amp with it being rehabbed.

Thanks for all replies. It was/is on CL for $150 and, Sunfire I read may be servicing the Carver stuff. Did read about the longevity of these amps. Would not like to get Cube with triac buzz/hum of a bothersome level. Was/am also considering a newer Carver at 250 wpc with 2 Vu meters. Still may need a service. I will let know if I go Carver. May just stay away for now with the Cube.

The cube does not look like most amps, but my m400 is dead silent between songs and the sound is as clean as my refurb. Yamaha amps and the 1 1/2 year old Pioneer SC 35. The m400 is a keeper, I don't think I can get something better to power the RC 64 for under a $1000 that will be anybetter. I like that it is small since I have multiple amps in the system.

"Mine melted down running it against too low impedance.

And I do mean MELT."

The early cube used MJ15015/16 outputs, they will not handle 4Ω.

Replace with the MJ15024/25 used in the later M1.5T and they will be OK.

The cube cannot drive a common ground load, nor can the early M1.0T

You are welcome. If you are look for 200 watts, I have a spare Yamaha M 70 that I had refurb. last year.

I have looked at Yamaha and like what I hear from others remarks on their amps. Thanks but, right now I will be picking up a Carver A500X in good condition. I need to find out for myself about Carver.