Summer Audio Afternoon

Mallette

I think what PWk was doing in that statement is expanding further on his proponency of having speakers(not just Klipschorns, but ANY speakers) along the long wall of the room:

1. Speakers placed in the corner area of a long side of a room provide a larger area where their PRIMARY waves have full coverage from BOTH speakers....this is a given.

2. Therefore, since these speakers are placed in the corners of the long side of the room, even though they provide a larger area of MUTUAL coverage than placed otherwise, they ALSO tend to have a LARGER "hole" between them where they DO NOT provide mutual coverage from the center of that front wall outwards to where that mutual coverage begins to occur. Another given.

3. Therefore, the addition of a center channel speaker which carries EITHER both the left AND right signal...OR carries its own separate center signal...will close up this wider hole caused by placing the side speakers in the corners as in "1 above". A third given.

A note of interest here: When the first specifically built listening room at Klipsch was completed (so0metime around 1980) in the red brick building...the three speaker array was set up on a TRUE three-channel system for demonstration to visitors. This was NOT a center channel composed of both left and right channels combined, but a truly SEPARATE channel...and the demo tape was played back using THREE of the four tracks on a TASCAM 4-channel reel-to-reel...I remember this very well...and the Lead-in on the Demo tape was the Bass runs from Michael Jackson's "Thriller" from the album with the same title...with the mix of the demo tape being professionally done to three totally separate channels. The demo tape was awesome!! And there was no way even someone who had heard Klipschorns all his/her life wouldn't have the hair on the back of his/her neck stand up listening to this demo tape!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, #7 doesn't get into wall length, though of course, #6 does. I've not seen any of PWK's direct writings that connect his statement of the requirement for three speakers to provide a correct image to his preference for the long wall in any given room as the best placement for the speakers.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless