Sub Envy at a WHOLE new level!

Youthman

Here's the subwoofer install that truly left me speechless, followed by a fit of uncontrollable laughter, and ending with a sprint to the bathroom. Devil

....a fellow audio enthusiast on the other side of town is armed with this in his home theater, and was kind enough to have me over a few times for a clobbering...uh, listening session. Hmm

How his house is still standing is beyond me. It can throttle the living piss out of the entire property, at its lowest setting. Indifferent

trw171.jpg

trw172.jpg

trw173.jpgtrw172.jpg

Those rotary subs are just outrageous! They have a sub test you can download to test your subs.

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

I've always wanted to hear (feel) a rotary sub. I have the perfect room to put one in but the cost of admission is a little too steep for me. I'll suffer with my IB for now. I'd MUCH rather have that setup than the one this thread was started about. What sub does he use with his fan?

What sub does he use with his fan?

The fan IS the sub.

Some people use the fan for 20Hz and down while using conventional subs for 20Hz and up. They're only rated 1-30Hz +- 4dB. Notice the accompanying graph with the pics.

Gotcha!

.I don't understand how it can keep up with sudden noise impacts or keep any kind of rhythm or pace.

Well, it has a particular band pass, like Carl pointed out.

Within that band pass, it does what it's supposed to do in spades....to provide the fundamental frequencies of sonic transient events at sufficiently realistic SPL.

Quiet Hollow what material were you privileged to hear???

Pipe organ music, shuttle launches, cannon shots, thunder claps, fireworks, stampedes...lot's of fun sound effects in addition to the obligatory movies like Black Hawk Down, Master & Commander, War of the Worlds...etc.

The thing simply doesn't run out of gas, and there's no audible cue that precludes what the TRW is capable of. ...you're just listening to something particularly loud, and if there's infra-sound, all of sudden the whole damn house is jumping off its foundation in one big pop. It's like having a cache of dynamite in the basement or a poltergeist in the room. Everything is creaking, popping, and groaning, but there's no indicator of stress from the rest of the system. It's pure infra-sound. The floor, doors, and windows are breathing, and your ears are gettting sucked in and out.

To put it in perspective:

Respect has to be paid to the device setup, because the caveat to generating realistic infra-sonic SPL is the ability to inflict the structural damage that's typically associated with these sonic events in reality. Unless the listening room is a certified bunker, a line has to be drawn in the sand when setting levels to avoid damaging the rest of the house. It has no problem exciting the natural frequencies of large objects.