How mad are my neighbors going to be? (New RF-7 II System)

KlipschJim

Congratulations on your new set-up.

I hope your neighbors respond by bringing the
pop-corn and snacks!! ;)

I'm also brand new here!!

Opps ....... I had written a bunch of other stuff about what I just bought tht was similar to your purchase, and then I realized I was walking all over your thread, so I've deleated here on edit.

In any case ......... I hope you have 'man'y years of enjoyment ....... both with your family and the neighbors, experiencing your new system!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some mention on the Forums about properly breaking in the speakers so I guess I need to read up on that.

I'll save you some reading. Turn them on, turn them up, sit back and enjoy. Big Smile

Also I saw some talk about sound proofing/absorption panels, and then a bit about DIY panels

I used to think acoustic panels were smoke and mirrors until I bought some DIY ones myself. My room had a severe slap echo so I knew sound was bouncing all around my room. My room is much quieter now with less reflections and the imaging and clarity has improved greatly.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely interested in the DIY panels.

Also, that is a really nice Home theater setup you have put togeter.

Congratulations on your new set-up.

I hope your neighbors respond by bringing the

pop-corn and snacks!! ;)

I'm also brand new here!!

Opps ....... I had written a bunch of other stuff about what I just bought tht was similar to your purchase, and then I realized I was walking all over your thread, so I've deleated here on edit.

In any case ......... I hope you have 'man'y years of enjoyment ....... both with your family and the neighbors, experiencing your new system!!

Hey. I hope they have that response too. Welcome to the forum as well. I actually got to read the original post you put up and I must say I am very impressed! Your system seems a lot better than mine. I hope to beef the whole set up more one day in the future but for now this was enough of an investment.

Welcome!

I have the original RF-7's and I can confirm all of the great reviews- some of the best speakers I have ever heard. I will warn you that these seem to sound BETTER the LOUDER they are played so you will be tempted to crank the volume. My neighbor (I live in a standard issue suburban house with a driveway separating my house from the neighbor's and my equipment is in the basement on the opposite wall from the complainant) most definitely does not appreciate my love of loud music.

For fun, I downloaded an SPL meter to my car phone and took a reading at a Bob Seger show about a week ago and my system has absolutely no trouble exceeding the +/-96db reading I was getting at the concert. So think about being at a concert and think about how much your neighbor would enjoy that same concert. Or don't. I don't really concern myself with what might bother my neighbor anymore, she's a crotchety old milk shake that's never happy.

Enjoy your new gear.

If I've been able to get any track an anything over the years it's that no one has the best system, but everyone has the best system for them, with most having a better system than the one before it.

And I'd bet real money each person enjoys/enjoyed the poo-poo out of each of those systems. :)

Welcome to the community and enjoy! That is an excellent system and you don't have to blast it to enjoy it. I listen to music on my 7's at -50-45 the majority of the time. Blast it in the daytime when people are at work or weekends. Just don't get a bottom feeder sub, the neighbors won't like that at all!

As for what is powering my system, I have a Marantz SR7007 (as some of you with a little bit of detective work figured out). Because of the sensitivity of the speakers, I didn't see the need to add an additional amp at this time.

It's not just efficiency only. The RF-7 II is officially rated 8 ohms compatible. However, it has an impedance dip that could stress out your amp. At low impedance, the speakers will demand a higher current that a lot of integrated AVR's could not safely handle at high volumes. At worst case scenario, your AVR will shutdown or even burn out, possibly blowing your speakers in the process.

As long as you play them at moderate volumes, they will be fine. Now, what the threshold is I cannot say. It depends on the AVR. I believe the SR7007 is rated for 6-16 ohm speakers. So, it may not be wise to play your setup at reference level.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/146927.aspx

• Moderators

However, it has an impedance dip that could stress out your amp. At low impedance, the speakers will demand a higher current that a lot of integrated AVR's could not safely handle at high volumes. At worst case scenario, your AVR will shutdown or even burn out, possibly blowing your speakers in the process.

I've heard that before but to be honest, I had three AVR's with my RF-83 system and had no problem really cranking them up. Not one of the 3 ever shut down and one was only 55 watts per channel.

Harman Kardon AVR55 (55 x 5)
Onkyo TX-SR703 (100 x 7)
Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 x 7)

I a visual kind of guy so I tend to think of it this way.

Two guys are out jogging.

Guy 1: Weighs 125lbs and is not muscular at all.
Guy 2: Weighs 215lbs, can bench press over 300lbs, is rock solid and in the best shape of his life.

As they are jogging, a friend throws them each a 50lb bag of potatoes to carry while they jog.

Guy 1 would not likely collapse to the floor, but the added weight (think low impedance dip) would definitely hinder his performance.
Guy 2 wouldn't still barely break a sweat to have the added weight.

Guy 1 = Receiver
Guy 2 = Receiver or Pre/Pro + Power Amp

I've heard that before but to be honest, I had three AVR's with my RF-83 system and had no problem really cranking them up.

The RF 83;s and 64 also have those low impedance dips. Nobody ever complains about the RF 64, lol.

Here are the numbers for the RF 83 HT:

In the lab

Frequency response (at 2 meters)
front left/right: 43 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.2 dB
center: 99 Hz to 17.8 kHz ±3.8 dB
surround: 117 Hz to 16.6 kHz ±3.9 dB
subwoofer: 46 Hz to 108 Hz ±1.9 dB

Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter with 2.8 volts of pink-noise input)
front left/right: 96 dB
center: 95 dB
surround: 95 dB

Impedance (minimum/nominal)
front left/right: 2.8/11 ohms
center: 2.8/13 ohms
surround: 3.1/5 ohms

• Moderators

The RF 83;s and 64 also have those low impedance dips. Nobody ever complains about the RF 64, lol.

That was precisely my point. I've had 3 AVR's that never shut down while driving the RF-83 system at loud volumes, even with low impedance dips.

Hey everyone. I have the system set up for the most part. Still have to do a bit of wiring and organizing. I must say it sounds UNBELIEVABLE!!! I will have pictures up soon. I have been dealing with a horrible pounding headache (gee, I wonder why). Every single time I opened up a box, I said "Holy S@!&!" These things are absolute monsters!

• Moderators

I must say it sounds UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I don't believe you. [:P]

Every single time I opened up a box, I said "Holy S@!&!" These things are absolute monsters!

I can't stop laughing at that one. [:D] I felt the same way when I unpacked my RC-64. I had never seen a center channel that big before.

Well although Im a huge fan of the RC-64 and the RF-83s I did experience an impedance drop that caused my system to shut off at high volumes. Im not entirely sure what caused it but I was watching Avatar back around Christmas when I had the height channels installed (didnt care for the processed Matrix sound by the way of the heights) but I had it up extremely loud near reference vol. and during the scene that Jake Sully was being chased through the woods via the black panther looking creature with 6 legs the whole system shut off. Scared the bejesus out of me. there were loud spikes in the sound and at that volume with dips etc. the AVR shut off. I wasnt running a separate power amp and the Elite SC-55 was running 9 channels at high vol. so the impedance dips at that high with that many channels may have been too much and just caused the AVR to say AHHH phooey. I didnt use the 83 or 64 with the Anthem amps I now use but those more than likely would never have had a problem. With the dips of those speakers. Just my experience. More than likely an overlaid for the amp @ 9 ch with no seperate power.

• Moderators

I wasn’t running a separate power amp and the Elite SC-55 was running 9 channels at high vol. so the impedance dips at that high with that many channels may have been too much

Ya think? I was referring to a 5.1 system. I don't think there is a receiver out there that can handle 9 speakers at reference volumes. Just seems waaay too much to ask of a single receiver.