Grille Peg Repair

One of the pegs broke on my RF-7 grilles. Even being careful and slow the stupid little thing snapped off where the plastic cylinder meets the thicker part of the peg base. First time I've broken one of these. I recently bought a pair of Mah RB-5s with a few broken pegs, one broken at its base. Out came the epoxy and I wanted to share the repair.

This West System epoxy is available at West Marine locally. I always have some in stock for piano work. It's great stuff. You can thicken it to various viscosities for different projects. 105 resin can be used with hardeners, 205, 206, 207, 209. I'm using 206. It has a pot life of about 20 minutes and takes 24 hours to cure. I use a gram scale to mix in small quantities, 5 parts resin / 1 part hardener.

post-34666-13819854169862_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The grille peg holes are hollow to their base and are sealed, meaning there is no danger of epoxy oozing through into the grille cloth. Pouring the epoxy into the hole didn't work. It would create a seal and prevent itself from getting to the bottom. Using a syringe worked very well. You can get them at Farm & Fleet or other animal/farm store. Place the syringe needle at the bottom of the hole. Fill the hole to the top with epoxy. Then slowly pull the syringe out, filling the needle's displacement as you go.

post-34666-13819854171222_thumb.jpg

After 24 hours it's cured and has a nice clean look. It's receded a little because of small air bubbles in the epoxy. The slower you mix, the less air gets trapped.

This should give it extra strength for future grille removals. Gotta see speakers naked sometimes.

post-34666-13819854177036_thumb.jpg

The RF-7 broken peg was repaired using a piece of metal rod smaller than the peg inner diameter. Cut the rod to length and dry fit the plastic peg, rotating it on the rod until it lines up with where it broke. Epoxying this together is messier than reinforcing an unbroken peg, but the epoxy definitely bonded the plastic well.

With the RB-5 peg broken at its base, I drilled it's hole slightly deeper in the grille then the metal rod stayed put while epoxying.

Here's the RF-7 peg repair. Told you I'd take good care of them Scott!

I hope this is helpful. I love the look of these floating grilles. Good luck with those fragile pegs!

post-34666-13819854181476_thumb.jpg

Good idea, although I never had any problem with any I bought new I also never bought a used one not broken. I agree about the look of the floating grill, much better than the new look to me.

Thanks guys.

I like the re-inforcement idea on the non-broken pegs.

They need some kind of help. I've had these RF-7s for over three years and have been so careful with removing the grilles every time. Removing them is not a regular thing, either. I happened to be watching that peg as it broke and it seemed to be the pulling that made it snap, not a side to side motion. If they're so brittle to break that way, I had to give myself some piece of mind with the rest.

Anyway, it was a fun small project. [:D]

I never had any problem with any I bought new I also never bought a used one not broken

Same here, I bought an RF-3 HT setup new in 2001 and had it for about 8 years before upgrading to what I have now. Never had a problem with those pegs breaking even through a move. I've only had broken peg issues with used.

Shortly after I bought my 7's, one of the pegs broke. The store that I bought them from sent me a new grill which is still in the box in a closet unopened. I planned on fixing the broken one but haven't made it a priority.

• 7 years later...

Hi Rivernuggets,

First time here. Thanks for the ideas. Recently, I pulled my “vintage” RB5ii’s, RC3ii, & RSW-10 from my other house and packed up my KEF/MB Quarts setup for storage. Of course, I ended up breaking more speaker grille pegs due to cleaning. Pressed for time and access to the epoxy brands and syringe, local O’Reillys Auto Parts had JB Weld Clear Weld. Treated the broken pegs as well as filling the rest of the other pegs to minimize breakage in the future. Seems to be working. I’m happy. Thank you. 

Regards,

N2Sound