Which Emotiva amp combo should I use?

themrclean

I currently have a UPA-2 and a UPA-5 both used but in excellent shape. I originally bought these to power a Klipsch RF-7II setup. I recently sold the Reference speakers and am piecing together a Klipsch Thx Ultra 2 7.1 setup. The sensitivity on these speakers are 97db and 96db. I happened to stumble across a great deal on a brand new still sealed in box pair of UPA-1s. As I see it I have four options. I would appreciate any input from people with experience with any of these options.

1. Sell the UPA-1s, keep the UPA-2 and UPA-5 and put some of the money towards speakers.

2. Sell the UPA-2, use the monos for L & R and use UPA-5 for center and surrounds.

3. Sell the UPA-2 and UPA-5, use the monos for L & R, buy XPA-5 and use for center and surrounds.

4. Sell the UPA-5, buy another UPA-1 for LCR and buy another UPA-2 for surrounds.

See why I am driving myself crazy!

Ill go with option number 4 or sell upa 5 and buy and xpa-5. I've read lots of articles about the thx speakers loving the extra headroom if you watch around reference levels ever. So they would love the 200 from xpa. Or if you went three monos will be a bit harder to find but will have to find a mono and a spare upa 2 as well. Might just be easier to go xpa-5 and upa-2 you already have. I would never run LCR setup with different power going to mains and center because to me that defeats the purpose of having three identical speakers with identical sounds. My opinion.

Scrappy, you would have to thow in a completely new option just to make it that much harder wouldn't you.[*-)]

Actually I never even considered The XPA-5/UPA-2 combo, might be worth considering. I definitely prefer having the same series and same power for the LCR speakers.

That was my biggest thing with LCR was same speakers are power and amp series no matter what. If I ever do get rid of what I have or end up finding a third rf-63 I will sell the xpa-2 I have and find a xpa-3 so 200 watts all the way around.

Scrappy, you would have to thow in a completely new option just to make it that much harder wouldn't you.Confused

Actually I never even considered The XPA-5/UPA-2 combo, might be worth considering. I definitely prefer having the same series and same power for the LCR speakers.

Does your place wired for 20 amp circuitry? This forum really needs more XPR owners. I want to hear more reviews. I think an XPR-5 and XPR-2 would look very nice with those THX speakers and should be able to power them with headroom to spare!

• Moderators

I think an XPR-5 and XPR-2 would look very nice with those THX speakers and should be able to power them with headroom to spare!

I believe in the owners manual, it says the XPR-5 has enough power to get the space shuttle to the moon and back. Just sayin. [:P]

I think an XPR-5 and XPR-2 would look very nice with those THX speakers and should be able to power them with headroom to spare!

I believe in the owners manual, it says the XPR-5 has enough power to get the space shuttle to the moon and back. Just sayin. Stick out tongue

"It says the XPR-5 has enough power..." Ha, I think you meant to say "needs" enough power.....hence their recommendation for an dedicated circuit, lol :/ Jeesh, I wouldn't buy one for just that reason alone. Although they are quite pretty to look at :)