Laptop on sub

Knorbu

It is a good question. Mongo has a good point -- though I take it to mean, "Better to be safe than sorry."

When visiting a buddy I have left my laptop on his Yamaha sub and there have been no problems.

I do think that laptops are pretty hearty.

Let me ponder, here. Subs have amps (plate amps) inside. Are they specially manufactured to withstand vibration? When they fail, is it because of vibration or other matters?

WMcD

The only electronics I have worked on that were vibration-tested were for the military. Other electronics are tested for their temperature specs. I wouldn't trust putting a laptop on top of a vibrating platform.

I could see the amps that are installed onto/into subs being vibration tested. That is their working environment and have to meet that spec.

The laptop is a very low priced Toshiba, I doubt it has been built to withstand much. I bought it because it had a fairly large hard drive, it is being used exclusively for storing/streaming music. Putting it on top the sub would have been convenient , but I have other places for it. It doesn't sound like its worth the risk.

thanks for the info,guys

Mark

The laptop is a very low priced Toshiba, I doubt it has been built to withstand much. I bought it because it had a fairly large hard drive, it is being used exclusively for storing/streaming music. Putting it on top the sub would have been convenient , but I have other places for it. It doesn't sound like its worth the risk.

thanks for the info,guys

Mark

Also have same brand computer. I keep away from all magnetic sources I can. Co worker complained that someone messed up his work computer. IT arrived to check it out and stated it was the magnets he had holding things on his computer. I also play music to my stereo, but keep it away from receivers, amps and speakers. Just hate to wipe the disk or anyother type of problems. I have enough issues of my own without causing more! ,,,,,,

....[:)]........Taz

I keep away from all magnetic sources I can. Co worker complained that someone messed up his work computer. IT arrived to check it out and stated it was the magnets he had holding things on his computer.

I think IT is passing the buck and doesn't really know what happened. If you have ever taken apart a hard drive and played with the magnets in them, you would understand why I say that.Still, it's probably a good idea to keep them aways from the case.

Bruce

quote] I think IT is passing the buck and doesn't really know what happened. If you have ever taken apart a hard drive and played with the magnets in them, you would understand why I say that.Still, it's probably a good idea to keep them aways from the case.

<P>

could very well be. I am not very very smart when it comes to some things, one of which is computers. [:$] ....Taz