Elevating KG-series Speakers - Flat or Slanted Risers?

tlarwa

Looking to elevate my KG4.2's to get the horn at ear-level. What's the preference for horns ... a flat riser to keep the speaker level or a slanted riser, ala the Heresy riser? I've heard the opinion that slanting the speaker messes with the soundstage. My DIY Frugel-Horns have a baffle that is slanted back at a 5 degree angle, and they have phenomenal imaging (they are a full-range design, though). Opinions? Any nice looking riser/speaker stand designs out theere that specifically compliment these speakers?

Tom

Well, ideally you do want the horns pointed towards the listening position/area. I'm not much of a woodworker, so I had to resort to doing really technical solutions like putting books under the front of the speakers to tip them back. :)

Well, I've got them sitting on 2" oak platforms, with the rear feet removed to allow them to tilt back. And I do believe its made a difference in soundstage and in tightening the bass up a bit. I'm going to keep experimenting, but so far I'm pleased!

The KG 4.2's are probably the best of the excellent KG line of speakers . They sound more like a 3-way then a 2-way. I have owned KG 3.5's, 4.2's, 5.2's and 4's.

Start them out 7 feet apart, 18 inches out from the wall and towed in to your listening position. Go from there, side-to-side, closer to the wall and out.

Don't tilt, you will be spreading the horn diffusion the wrong way. Elevate them straight up, but only after you have done the above.

Take your time, do one thing, then listen for a few sessions, then do something else. (of course, I never follow this particular piece of advice and do a bunch of stuff at once).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pop the rear spikes back on and level them up to see how that compares to my current set . I installed new Crites Ti diaphragms today, and they sound great. Sounded good beforehand, but have a more even sound to the highs now. A noticeable change, I think for the better. Next up is replacing the 33 microfarad cap on the crossover, which I read should make a difference as well. I'll report back on how leveling them back up (still on the 2" oak risers) works out.