LaScalla woofer substitution?

I am just wondering if a Chorus woofer would work any better in a LaScalla with respect to bass extension. A bud has both speakers and I was curious as he is attempting to squeezr a little more bass out of the LaScalla. My gut instinct is no but I figured that I would ask the guys with the experience here. Bob C's cast basket woofers might work a little better than stock but some work would be required to make them fit in the dog house and I am not sure it the cost would be money well spent I don't know. Perhaps Bob might comment as I am sure he has seen a good number of these woofers go into LaScalla bins.

I have suggested DJK's reflex riser but I think that is more thAn my friend is willing to do so any comments would be welcome. Thanks Best regards Moray James.

I did djk's bass reflex it's the way to go if you want any bass out of La scala's below 50Hz I took a router to the inside of my tops it was fairly easy just jig saw it out and then take a flush trim bit around it nice clean cut. I went with the 4" x 7" ports .

I would agree. This chap is looking to tilt the scales a little if he can so I am looking for some possibel options that he can experiment with. He does not seem open to additional dog house volume and or vents. I don't know he may fear damage to his possible resale value or he may not be able to do the required work for what ever reason. I am just looking to help with some suggestion which might help get him to where he wants to be. Thanks for the input. Best regards Moray James.

He does not seem open to additional dog house volume and or vents.

It is easy to make a set of 10" high boxes with ports. You can then just remove the bottoms on the regular cabs and set them on otp of the new boxes (gasket material should compress and seal fine).

Make a set of cheap ones from mdf first, to se if you like it. If you don't, you can just throw them away, or give them to someone else to try.

Bruce

Yes I agree but his space is at a premium. Best idea I can think of is to use damping to increase the apparant volume of the doghouse (to the driver). This might buy as much as a 20 % volume increase and would diminish reflections which would otherwise escape via the cone into the horn. As I said he is looking to tilt the balance. That's the best tilt I can contrive. The LaScalla does not afford much room for messing around with drivers. The best suited drivers I know of would be very difficult to make fit and would not make very much difference in terms of bass extension expecially considering the cost. Since the owner has a set of Chorus I figured I would ask in case someone had already tried those woofers. A drivr with a Qt of about 0.32 would get the most out of the smallest volume.Best regards Moray James.

As I said he is looking to tilt the balance.

One of the best changes I made to mine was in dropping the mids down a couple of db. That way you don't get the "buzz saw in your forehead" sound when turned up and the bass seems up a bit.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce that is a good point. Were you able to simply drop one tap or were other adjustments necessary? Since this has become an act of balance and since the owner is looking to tip the scales toward the bass side of things shifting the top end response will have a real impact upon the preceived bass level. Best regards Moray James.

I would have to look at my crossovers again, but the DHA2s I built have the swamping resistor across the mid, some I'm thinkg I just moved the tap on the autoformer. In any case, the sound great in my room. [Y][H]

Bruce