Eliptrac 400 kit finishing update

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak dowels are used to support the gear. I think they go in the blocks 3/8" or 1/2". They droop a bit under heavy loads though. The block ends are stacked onto each other with 3/4" pegs, spaced apart with plumbing fittings.

My design makes it super easy to swap gear in and out, mess around with interconnects, and everything gets more than adequate airflow.

Guest David H

Here we go! You can start to see the humps in a couple of the pics because of the studio lighting, but in real room viewing, it looks smooth.

They look perfect to me, and love the equipment rack..

Regarding tweeter height placement, isn't there some rule about placing the centers of the drivers within 1/2 wavelength of the x-over point? 5kHz @ 24dB/oct LR, so roughly 3 cm away? How do you do that with a horn taking up all that space? Or can you mount it a defined distance much further above that 1/2 wavelength? I mounted it far back to time align it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Here is the first set of Plywood Eliptracs.

I recently found a source for low void true 3/4" plywood that is not that difficult to sand.

Dave

post-24405-13819859218876_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

You mentioned they are easier to sand. could you say more about that?

This is maple 5 layer plywood. The maple is much easier to sand than birch, but it is still far more difficult to work with than the MDF.

Dave