RB-5s High and Horizontal

Zen Traveler

We are in the process of upgrading (or at the very least trying something different) our Klipsch Library Home Theater listed in my signature. I've been setting up a newly acquired Denon AVR 4311ci and after a week of auditions in a my familiar 7.2 scenario and thinking it can't get much better and am going to try some RB-5s or possibly RB-75s as Height Speakers...I've been running RB-75s as Back Speakers and have them laying horizontally behind the LP with the horns toed in towards the LP and it's worked quite well.

I am considering doing the same with the RB-5s (as Height Speakers) because of aesthetics and think I'm going to turn the horn 90 degrees, which can be done with these and not the RB-75s because of design...Does anyone have an opinion if there would be a big difference or improvement in using the RB-75s in this location instead? As of now I am really impressed with our front soundstage and am curious what adding these speakers will accomplish, if anything.

Hey Zen, Congrats on the new 4311, lots of great reviews on that unit!

I recently added RB75's as heights to my system but can't give you a comparison as to moving them from rear to heights. I added mine to a 5.2 set up appx. 5 ft. from the top of my towers and 2 ft. to the outside.

I also have some RB5's I experimented with briefly but much preferred the RB75's. They were less boomy imo possibly due to being front ported. I'm extremely happy with the addition. Not only for movies but also MC music has more presence and for a lack of words, the overall depth and front sound stage has more impact.

There was some discussion here:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/174566.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks for the link Tasdom and I did follow your thread.

Also to clarify that I am keeping my rear RB-75s and just adding the Height speakers to make it "9.2" {Note: can't add Wide speakers because of my room layout.} I have an additional pair of RB-75s along with another RC-7 and I even toyed with purchasing the RF-7II/RC-64II to use up front and moving my original RF-7s to surround duty but I think it would be just too tight of a fit...As mentioned, right now it's seamless in a sublime way and I don't want to spend money needlessly--Still need to get a new TV. [:P]

I have an additional pair of RB-75s

That sure makes experimenting much easier in lieu of swapping back and forth. I couldn't do wides either due to room constraints however it worked out well for me. IDK but in my mind anyways, it seems like wides would take away from the 7's while heights would add that extra dimension......anyways I'm quite content and they are staying put! [:D]

I have use Front Height and Front Wide speakers and both can add to the front stage. Is one better than the other, not really so whatever works easiest in the room. These speakers don't compete with the mains. They are for spatial cues and ambience.. The Height will add a vertical dimension to the front stange and the wides a horizontal dimension.. If the front stage wall is wide, use wide, if the front stage is on the shorter wall use height speaker.

I even toyed with purchasing the RF-7II/RC-64II to use up front and moving my original RF-7s to surround duty but I think it would be just too tight of a fit

I ran 7 RF-7's in a 7.2 setup for awhile and it was not worth it IMO. I feel like I got much better surround sound and rear sound when I moved to RS-7's 6' off the ground and RB-75's in the rear 6' off the ground aimed down at the seats. Your best bet is to keep the RB-75s and aim them where you want them, the same for the front heights.

I'd think the rb5 would do a great job. I like the idea of rotating the horn,let us know if ya try it.

Thanks, Fish. Right now I am trying out the RB-5s as Heights to see if I like them. I haven't done anything with the Horns yet because:

1) The screw pattern looks different in the housing so I feel if I turn them 90 degrees I may need to screw some new holes (not sure)

2) I have them positioned so they point at our LP and Audyssey got their distance correct, along with good trim numbers so I may be good to go.

... I feel like I got much better surround sound and rear sound when I moved to RS-7's 6' off the ground and RB-75's in the rear 6' off the ground aimed down at the seats. Your best bet is to keep the RB-75s and aim them where you want them, the same for the front heights.

Yesterday was the first day of auditioning the RB-5s as Height Speakers. We watched only a few scenes from Top Gun and felt if it added anything it was minimal, if any improvement. I didn't notice the heights having a different sound than my front Soundstage and we watched "Gran Torino," last night and didn't notice any cool factor from them.

Insofar as surrounds go and after extensive experimentation with my last couple of AVRs, I like both the RF-3 towers (raised 10 inches) and RB-75s better than the RS-7s in that location and converting 5.1 to 7.1 using the Rear Channels...I'm really not wanting to use the additional pair of RB-75s as Height speakers, unless they are an improvement over the RB-5s in that regard--For Mains I understand the difference.

Anyway, thanks for your views on using the RF-7s as surrounds--I think actually it would be too tight of fit and the narrower RF-3 towers may be as big as we can go. I like the RB-75s there as well, but the former seemed to give a fuller sound, without being boomy since they are raised and we sit pretty close to them (within 4 to 5 ft).

Insofar as surrounds go and after extensive experimentation with my last couple of AVRs, I like both the RF-3 towers (raised 10 inches) and RB-75s better than the RS-7s in that location

I may slide a pair of bookshelfs in place of my RS-7s and see if I like that better. I have not tried that yet, might be interesting.

Yesterday was the first day of auditioning the RB-5s as Height Speakers. We watched only a few scenes from Top Gun and felt if it added anything it was minimal, if any improvement. I didn't notice the heights having a different sound than my front Soundstage and we watched "Gran Torino," last night and didn't notice any cool factor from them.

I was just glancing thru the 4311 manual and it has similar settings to my Onkyo. Just curious if you toggled between PLIIz Height and Audyssey DSX modes and if so, did you notice any difference?

I was just glancing thru the 4311 manual and it has similar settings to my Onkyo. Just curious if you toggled between PLIIz Height and Audyssey DSX modes and if so, did you notice any difference?

Yes I did and after very preliminary audition thought that the PLIIz had the edge on several sources. I also am not sure I like the cinema and music modes but will continue checking them out. One interesting note: I am a fan of multichannel music and am having various degrees of success adjusting to how the AVR-4311ci converts this compared to my AVR-4806.

That said, last night on the Talking heads DVD-A remix of Burning Down the House sounded excellent using the Height speakers and PLiiz where OTOH, the Dire Straits SACD Brother in Arms, the song Ride Across the River sounded very unnatural during the most spacious part when the crickets are chirping and the instruments are clean and clear without using heights.

Truthfully, with the exception of above, most Multichannel Music sounds good on several formats but it's dependent on tracks and it's always good to hit the ol' "Direct" button to get a reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, gang--The RB-5s are staying up there for now, but I still may try RB-75s in their place. I also have been running RB-75s as side surrounds, but before when experimenting I preferred the RF-3 towers...That was "pre-Audyssey" so I am looking forward to putting my raised RF-3s back in place now that I've been accustomed to the bookshelf speakers. Fwiw, they sounded good, as well as were seamless with the rest of the system, but I remember the RF-3s having slightly more punch and encompassing.

Anyway, it will be interesting to which I prefer now. {Note: I had Audyssey on my AVR-4806 but didn't experiment between bookshelf and towers.}

Okay, gang--The RB-5s are staying up there for now, but I still may try RB-75s in their place. I also have been running RB-75s as side surrounds, but before when experimenting I preferred the RF-3 towers...That was "pre-Audyssey" so I am looking forward to putting my raised RF-3s back in place now that I've been accustomed to the bookshelf speakers. Fwiw, they sounded good, as well as were seamless with the rest of the system, but I remember the RF-3s having slightly more punch and encompassing.

Anyway, it will be interesting to which I prefer now. {Note: I had Audyssey on my AVR-4806 but didn't experiment between bookshelf and towers.}

Well...the good part is you can't go wrong either way.

• 3 weeks later...

We have an event this weekend but afterward I am going to try DSX on some movies sources but so far on Concerts and Multichannel music, PLIIz Height is the clear winner and in our HT, DSX seems to make this material echo, instead of enhance the front soundstage...

I am also still going to try the RB-75s to see if they make a difference compared to the RB-5s, but the only time they didn't sound good was on the track I mentioned in the other post with the encompassing cicada chips and wonder if that was due to the mismatched tweeters up front (RF-7s/RC7 & RB5s).

Concerts and Multichannel music, PLIIz Height is the clear winner and in our HT, DSX seems to make this material echo, instead of enhance the front soundstage...

I really liked the PLIIz effect with music. This was even more noticeable when entertaining with a larger number of people in the room.