For everyone who has K55-V drivers

Daan

While disassembling my K55-V drivers for modification I found one of the phase plugs had a bit free play in it's fitting.

So for everyone replacing the diafragms of their drivers; be sure to check the fitting and give all of the three points a gentle "tap" with a small hamer and a suitable steel [round] tool.

I replaced the diafragms a few years already but never noticed it , now I machined them to fit the EV adaptors of my HR60 horns.

Better safe than sorry.

Nico

post-35476-13819856611604_thumb.jpg

After making the throat conical , leaving the original opening intact and going to the adaptor's size on the outside it looks like this.

Also provided a seal so both parts are joined airtight without the need for a [not conical] gasket; this way the transition is without any disturbance.

post-35476-13819856613666_thumb.jpg

Glad I can make a small tribute here ; I learned so much from all you guys!

After about 20 years of listening to my stock La Scala's I found this site and people not only describing the shortcomings I heard for years, but also providing a solution.

This in the end ,led to my current system , using the LS cabinet but for the rest holding all the modifications that solved the shortcomings that bugged me all those years.

Ofcourse you can say I destroyed a pair of original LS's , BUT I never had so much fun upgrading my system and listening to music like in the past few years!

Oh, and ofcourse I could be fooling myself that "a upgrade must sound better" but my wife set me straight when needed.

We often listen to our music for the whole evening and occasionally she says; "it sounded better last time, put back what you replaced".

So with the help of all the info and the posts made here, and my wife beside me, I look forward to a musical evening at home every time!

Daan

post-35476-13819856618478_thumb.jpg

Endresult with the "big white" mounted flush with the motorboard. Combined with the machined K55-V on the adaptor, it produces the most lively, natural sound I ever heard in our room.

The Crites cast woofers, K55-V 's with EV HR-60's , Crites CT125 tweeters plus the ALK universal filters together produce a kind of MAGIC that makes us watch less t.v and spend more time listening again.

post-35476-13819856621138_thumb.jpg

I use the ALK universal crossovers and no EQ since the CT125 tweeter takes care of the high frequencies and it sounds great without the need for a EQ.

Everything remained the same, only used different taps on the transformer for attenuating the higher efficiency of the EV horn.

Daan

The EV horns that were used are being run as mid horns so I would not see any need to provide EQ for them. They do however have enough bandwidth to make a LaScala 2-way possible and that I expect would require some high end EQ depending upon your taste you might get away with no EQ, 400 Hzto 18KHz would perhaps be achievable but this would not be possibel with a stock K55 driver as it does not have that kind of range it was designed as a mid drive not a wide range driver. Best regards Moray James.

http://mypicsonline.net/archive/archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR60%20EDS.pdf

http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Audio/Pro_Audio/Installations/ElectroVoice%20PA%20Bible.pdf

• 2 weeks later...