Forte II vs Chorus

Your ATI will be great.

The general census I am getting from this forum and others is that Tube amps generally sound best on all vintage Klipsch speakers. Any opinions on that?

Hey, I see you live in Loveland.  I have family there and swing through frequently.  At this time I only have a flea watt single ended tube amp to play with, unfortunately not the ideal match for fortes, but it does some kooky and beguiling things.  Lemme know if you're interested in hearing it.   

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah good old Loveland.  I might take you up on your offer.   I e-mailed Bob today and he sent me a reply saying I did not need anything on the tweeter, he did say however if they had or if I added the titanium mid I would need a filter that cuts out the top because it puts out the same hi frequencies as the tweeter, the titanium naturally goes higher.  I will pull them this weekend and see. I got some stainless steel washers from work and I will glue them to the passives also.  I will also give them a try on the ATI as well.  Thanks for all the replies and advise. 

Moray, just curious since you've done the passive weighting yourself if you did any before and after measurements.  Any unintended consequences?  (I use eq, because I want to be able to apply some semblance of equal loudness curves for loud and soft listening sessions.  Besides, in room, stock forte II have robust output to the low thirties and useful output into the high twenties, with surprisingly tight bass for a reflex alignment, something I would be afraid to mess with.)  

Yeah completely stock mids, I don't know if I will ever do titanium. maybe replace with just some new ones that sound better? or do they all sound the same until you get to titanium?   On a weird note I put my ear up to a mid and could hear a slight buzz come out of it, whats weird is that the power was off on the amp the cd and even the power strip breaker bar and had been off for days. it even still did it when I unhooked the speaker wires. The only thing I can figure out it that its from the power stored in the capacitors and inductors  slowly draining through the mid, weird though. Anyway I did the washer trick the two washers weighed .12lbs on the scale at work a dab of hot glue to secure them might have brough it up to .14 lbs or 2.4 oz.  The only thing I notice is that the one I did just digs a little deeper not sloppy or anything just a tad bit deeper.  So I did both and they are just pleasantly a tad bit deeper overall, not sloppy at at really.  If you like yousr the way they are then leave them alone. I used to play drums so I like to feel the kick drum. one of the reasons I built my own subwoofers with 18" subs, lol. 

P1010463_zps174ebd8c.jpg

• Like 2

Moray, just curious since you've done the passive weighting yourself if you did any before and after measurements.  Any unintended consequences?  (I use eq, because I want to be able to apply some semblance of equal loudness curves for loud and soft listening sessions.  Besides, in room, stock forte II have robust output to the low thirties and useful output into the high twenties, with surprisingly tight bass for a reflex alignment, something I would be afraid to mess with.)

As far as I know I am the person who first posted about doing this, I figured the weight out by trial and error with a pre chosen bass tuning signal from a test tome CD and I watched the woofer and adjusted the weight until the woofer was not moving so I knew that I was on the chosen frequency with the weight used. Making more bass with EQ is not the same thing at all. This is a new lower tuning frequency for the passive. Because of the way I did it id did not need to measure anything to know I had tuned at my chosen frequency, the fact that the passive was doing all the moving and the woofer was not moving is the proof of that. You cannot simply keep lowering the tuning at will it does not work that way you need to remember the woofer drives the passive and the woofer only goes as low as it goes. So I look to lower 3 - 4Hz the new tuning frequency. You also have to consider the range of motion of the passive also. There is a very small down side to lowering the tuning frequency and that is you will give up a small amount of efficiency but it is not much and the extra bass depth is well worth the trade in my view. Hope that helps answer your question. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 2

I just got done spiking them and that too made a difference as it always does. I wonder why Klipsch didn't put threaded holes for spikes?  I just got some t nuts and put them on the bottom.  The only thing I can see myself doing to these is maybe tame down the tweeter a bit with a resistor.  I will hook them up to my other system and amp this weekend. There have been a few speakers that I have owned that simply don't get along with the Rotel, these might be one of them. 

Anotherforumname

Trust me you will love the Titanium mids in your forte II.  I have owned mine since purchased new in 92.  The titanium mids blow away the stock INMHO.  I made the upgrade about 3-4 years ago.  If and when you replace you will need a midrange roll off.  The original crossovers are quite simple since the original mids roll off naturally at a much lower frequency response than the Titanium.  Without the bandpass roll of on the mid you will have situations where both the squawker and tweeter are working at full output at the same time.

I personally am wary of adding weight to the passive, and have not tried out of fear of blowing one or both up.  Update your xovers, add Titanium to the squawkers and you will not be disapointed.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

A bandpass limits the out put of the squawker driver. Please see detailed description from Bob Crites below:

I can provide a little technical information of using the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic. The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off. So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

Attached Thumbnails
  • k53tiphen.jpg
  • Like 1

Yeah maybe I will but I have been down the upgrade rabbit hole before and know you never get your money back out of them. These have every indication of being keepers but time will tell.  We have been tuning passives for a long time by experimenting with adding weight, I don't know if they really experimented back when these were made other than putting bigger passives.  I used hot glue so I can undo it if I don't like it but so far do. 

You can order through Klipsch.  If memory serves me correctly at the time the diaphragms themselves ran about $75.00 or $80.00 each.  But for just $5.00 more I ordered the entire driver and diaphragm. In other words, cost me an additional $10.00 for brand new K53 Drivers!  So now I have a spare set.

I never plan on parting with mine, so I was not concerned with an ROI.....

I had Bob build me the bandpass, But I am sure he would sell you just the parts required.

I keep mine about 18 inches from the rear wall with absolutely no toe in.  For the footprint, WAF factor, and other real world issues, I have never heard a better "Balanced" speaker.

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town
  • Like 1

It does, and very well, thanks!  Do you employ a rumble filter to be on the safe side?  The drone and woof will at some point be dancing out of step down there, and the added weights may pose a risk of mechanical damage.

I did this mod to my Quartet Forte and Forte ll loudspeakers all worked very well no issues of any kind with any of these speakers all sound excellent with more extended bass response. You can re tune any of your reflex speakers which have vents in the same way using test tone and paper vents of assorted lengths this is easy dirt cheap and works like a charm. Absolutely no need for a rumble filter. This would be counterproductive as such filters screw up the low end sound quality. You can try this mod and remove if you don't like the result there is no danger of damage of any kind past that of having too many thumbs. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if these Titanium tweeter diaphragms have to break in? point is I don't know how long ago the previous owner did the caps or tweeter upgrade and they're a bit too much for my tastes and was wondering if they mellow out over time? If not has anyone else felt they were a bit much? if so did you mess with upping the resistor in the x-over to mellow them out? Everything is flat with no tone control whatsoever and they can become a bit overwhelming on some music. I also have room treatments, I hooked them up in my main room to my tamer amp and still a bit over the top.  I have them 15" from rear wall 8" 2"  in between them and 10" back no toe in and angled them slightly up with the spikes.  Thanks in advance.