Considering a move back to 2 channel

whell

Just for info boa, my now unused $157 delivered Technics receiver IS rated into 6 ohms but the manual says 'minimum sine wave RMS power output 20Hz-20kHz(each channel driven) 0.09% total harmonic distortion'.

Regardless of the specs I can tell you that the receiver makes good sound and without the confusion of more expensive receivers. It has just the basics that a person needs for 5.1 HT (or bi-wired 2-channel using 4 of the amps power) or 2-channel use. I carried it around to a few of my audio fanatic pals homes and tried it with their systems. They both bought one. Kinda like an irresistable el cheapo toy, ya know? For the price I think they are great. I'm not getting rid of my Denon though!

BTW boa, where ya bean?

Keith

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right on keith i'd just prefer the likes of b&k & technics to use standards when we look for a starting point to demo stuff. Wink.gif

& i've been spending more time over at iminlovewithmycar.com arguing w/ some dude on whether my bonny ssei can beat his ford tauras sho in a 1/4 mile. Biggrin.gif j/k

------------------

My Home Systems Page

... And speaking of cars, my wife thinks I'm going thru some type of mid-life change. Been thinking about buying one of those CHRYSLER prowlers, before its too late. I always did like those 34 Ford's!

Keith

For me I solved the 2-channel versus HT problem by having my mains (k-horns) on a speaker selection box. I select to use them in HT connected to the Yamaha VRX-990 or 2-channel with the Scott 340B (tube).

The HT sounds great, but cannot compare to the Scott when I'm listening to music. I prefer to listen to 2-channel sound for music, I like my sound stage in front of me.

just wondering if anyone tried my 39watts @ 60Hz test from above (plugging your speakers directly into the power outlet- 110v divided by 2.83v/watt@8ohms)?

I have had 2 techniques recievers and blew them both up @ moderate volumes. Their heat sinks are too small and ventilation is poor. Many use a fan to cool them, but by the time it comes on, it's usually too late.

I also have to say that I prefer the phantom center. With a 100" front projection system and a seating position close to the screen, dialog from the high center seems misplaced, especially if the sound is coming from the bottom corner. A wide soundstage from two channels seems to work much better.

Larry