Setup Opinions Solicited...

Mallette

It's just Sketchup, KSS, and can be a PITA. But it really let's you play with stuff, and if your components are to scale you know it's going to fit. None of the componentry is my real stuff, but I've rescaled it to the same size as my own and it's close enough in these views.

Yep, it IS a lot of fun...but mainly because it really works to give you a feel for what it's going to be like.

Dave

What's the black box front center? EDIT, some sort of TT stand?

I like the phantom center idea. It works better than most people think. I don't like the sub behind you for a couple reasons. First, no matter where you cross it over, you'r going to be able to sense it back there. Second, you're going to need some sort of time alignment to get it in phase with your mains on the opposite wall otherwise your bass will seem smeared. You'll get the notes but not the articulation I know you want

Come to think of it, Carl, I suppose there is no reason not to move it back to the front in this config. Thanks. I'll do that... Film at eleven.

Dave

PS - Actually, I am thinking I can use it for a shelf for the R2R. The vibes shouldn't impact that. Hey, more fun playing around!

PS - Actually, I am thinking I can use it for a shelf for the R2R. The vibes shouldn't impact that. Hey, more fun playing around!

Set one of THESE on the sub and the R2R on top of that.

Just a thought... Is there any chance that the magnet, inside the sub (most likely a large one), will damage/erase any of the music on your reel tapes if you place the tape machine on top of the sub?

Just a thought... Is there any chance that the magnet, inside the sub (most likely a large one), will damage/erase any of the music on your reel tapes if you place the tape machine on top of the sub?

What a wise thought! I stored my RTR tapes on the other side of a thin inner wall from a K-horn's woofer, and over time they developed a lot of hiss I didn't think I'd had before. I myself would think about it before chancing it.

A good thought, Boxx, but no. I've experience with R2R that goes back to Magnecorders and acetate tape, and while magnetism is death to them, the fields drop off very rapidly and the distance to the subs driver would require me to leave a tape on the machine for way longer that it's ever going to be to register significant impact. It's a time plus field strength issue and time is on my side.

Dave

Okies. Here's what may be the final. Have consulted with you guys and the PAW. Carl, let me know if you think the risers will have any impact on the sub. I couldn't see why. The PAW felt that, visually, it should be even with the TT stand. Boxx, I am not showing the vib absorber, but that's a consideration.

Thoughts?

Dave

post-9494-13819859001076_thumb.jpg

OK, it's all laid out. Time to get'r done!

Agreed. Sub is likely to be last in that the PAW wants to wait until cooler weather to apply the Formica, a rather messy process needing to be done outside.

However, I shall begin moving some stuff in this weekend.

Dave

Here's the "final." Quotes because it's silly to say anything is "final" to an audiophile...[:D]

Klipschorns, L&R
Cornwall, Center
Frazier Super Monte Carlos, Rear
Van Alstine rebuilt Dynaco ST70
AVA Super PAS4i, switchable from Panasonic to ST70
Dynaco Quadapter Passive ambience recovery device
Empire 598 Mark II/Grado ZF3E+/(78 RPM)
TCC TC-778 RIAA/78rpm Phono Pream (used with Empire)
VPI Scout, JMW Arm, Grado Signature/(LP)
MBS-5 2 channel Digital Analog Audio Server
DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expansion
OPPO SACD/DVD-A/DVD player
Yamaha cassette deck
Sony TC-765 R2R

Thanks for the assist!

Dave

post-9494-13819859104616_thumb.jpg

For some reason I thought that this was going to be a 2.1 music rig.

Matter of opinion, Carl. Only two channels, but they are routed to the DynaQuad which uses a simple passive circuit to route out-of-phase to the rear. Rear levels are set by a rather ingenious Hafler circuit that, whilst holding down a switch, you rotate the balance until you hear a minimum volume. On most material, the result is only a since of depth with no impact on the image or front. Many don't even know the rears are working unless I switch them out. On some material where there is a lot of mixing and overdubbing (Firesign Theatre is one of the most notable) there is considerable directionality. Old QS an SQ quad discs decode about as well as they did on the active decoders of thier vintage. I have a copy of Hafler's original demo disc, and the results are startling and every bit as good as the current surround stuff. "Flight of the Bumblebee" is extraordinary and the melody circles the room in a very real way.

But, as I said, on the vast majority the effect is subtle, if to me, significant. I consider it "all natural" as nothing is added that was not on the original recording. I acquired my first one from somewhere in the late 70s for five bucks. Gotten a lot of pleasure from it. Only takes a single switch to take the rears offline for the "purist."

post-9494-13819859120006_thumb.jpg

Here's the "final." Quotes because it's silly to say anything is "final" to an audiophile...Big Smile

Klipschorns, L&R
Cornwall, Center
Frazier Super Monte Carlos, Rear
Van Alstine rebuilt Dynaco ST70
AVA Super PAS4i, switchable from Panasonic to ST70
Dynaco Quadapter Passive ambience recovery device
Empire 598 Mark II/Grado ZF3E+/(78 RPM)
TCC TC-778 RIAA/78rpm Phono Pream (used with Empire)
VPI Scout, JMW Arm, Grado Signature/(LP)
MBS-5 2 channel Digital Analog Audio Server
DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expansion
OPPO SACD/DVD-A/DVD player
Yamaha cassette deck
Sony TC-765 R2R

Thanks for the assist!

Dave

Dave, looks to be a winning arrangement. Good luck with the project...