Setup Opinions Solicited...

Mallette

Here's a couple of my musings on my new music room setup. The big black thing is the Cinema F6 sub, and it pretty well dictates a few things. So, one thought is this one, back wall with the Cornwall center on it. Not crazy about the height of the video monitor, but it's about par with one over a fireplace which is common. Think the Cornie would disperse OK rotated to its side?

post-9494-13819858569906_thumb.jpg

Okies, MJ. I like this, as it gets the monitor lower and just generally looks nicer.

That sofa isn't exactly like the one. I'd thought the PAW was going to use one she'd bought that is now in the garage and move the currently in use one from the TV room to here. However, she said the "new" one goes in here. Good, in that it is smaller and has a couple of recliners in it. However, I can't really measure it the way it's stacked at the moment. We're going to move it in weekend after this, so we'll see.

As I said, taking this slowly to get it right. Thanks for the input...I'll update as other ideas arise.

Dave

post-9494-13819858795464_thumb.jpg

The PAW and I discussed last night, and here is the current favorite. No real need for a passage behind the listening sofa, so the sub would make a nice table surface back there without really taking up usable space. May need a bit of help from Carl on time alignment.

post-9494-13819858888546_thumb.jpg

Vertical alignment of the mid drivers is important especially since you are sitting in the near field. There is little to no time (space) to allow your brain to fudge alignment for you. The speakers need to line up. Imagine a horizontal laser line that is rotating around the room at the centre point of the Khorn K400 mid horn. All the other HT speaker mid horns should be centered on that line. Exceptions to the prefered position would only be to avoid furnature but I think in a room like this you can probably position all your speakers for optimum performance. Best regards Moray James.

Back when I used a sub with my Heresy's and then Lascala's I always ended up back to placing it dead center between the two main speakers. I know that bass is suppose to be non-directional but it always seemed to sound more right with all sounds coming off the front wall. I never did get a sub that blended well with Lascala's but I never really tried any real high end subs.

Craig, I have a theory about that. I think REALLY low bass, say 40 and below, is, indeed, non-directional. But I think this decreases pretty rapidly once past that and many have the low pass at 60 or 80. Seems to be a bit of directionality there. I've used a sealed commercial sub with my 'horns, but had it at about 50. It blended fine to my ears located in the right rear corner of the room.

Of course, nothing is inherently unchangeable, so I'll likely try this and see how seamless I can get it. I'll probably be at 40 or so again since the 'horns are pretty solid down to 32.

Like I say, "If it sounds good, it IS good."

Dave

Fully agree, Shiva, but in a small room with a horn loaded sub that's 5'X18"X3' in size there are placement limits. Plus, the thing is good done to about 16hz, so I think I should have adequate latitude to adjust for less than perfect placement.

Dave

Once you get very low you aren't hearing the bass but mostly feeling it. That is the only thing that is "non-directional" about it IMHO. I sure can tell where the bass is coming from that is audible and if it is a single source it just doesn't sound right no matter where it sits. I elected to go with no sub instead of just one. I can see for HT not caring as much about placement but for music it's another story. I would not like any furniture or subs between my seat and the mains.

It is all a moot point for me though... subs wake up the kids too easily!

I just scanned this thread...but is there any way to move the equipment to another wall? There could be with turntables so close to mouth of the bass bins. The tables and other equipment may cause issues sharing a common wall with the extension bass horn surface. I know my current cramped quarters cause some issues and I am not using my khorns for that reason. Also be flexible with the video screen placement. I once had some reflection issues with a large screen in a squarish room.

Nope, I am stuck with that wall. However, it's an outside wall so well braced. The TTs are not in line of fire of any drivers, and occupied almost an identical position in my old room without problems. As I mentioned, the black base is loaded with gravel and is very, very stable. You can kick it with a record playing without a skip.

Not terribly concerned about reflection issues. The monitor may be used occasionally for video, but its main purpose is just as a monitor as this is primarily geared to listening, not video. AAMOF, I am pretty sure I am going back to DynaQuad for rear and center speakers as it is organic, transparent, and does a great job on 2 channel sources without drawing attention to itself. For several years in the "old" listening room, I had wired a switching system to allow switching between the tube amp and Quadapter and a surround Class D amp. It worked well, but it was a lot of wires and a bit of an annoyance. However, that room was serving also as TV room. This one won't be, so I think I'll just say "no" to HT here.

On the directionality of bass thing, I am in general agreement that it's only the very lowest, verging on sub-sonic, frequencies that are truly non-directional. However, 32hz and below is pretty close to that and the amount of directionality seems, at least to my ears, to not be that great in that range even though 32hz is quite audible. This one is going to be used at least a half octave below my last one and I didn't really notice directionality issues with that one.

Anyway, we'll see and I'll have Carl and others over to analyze and advise so I'll work it out eventually.

Really appreciate all the comments!

Dave

Well, if you followed from the other post, I am leaning towards a DynaQuad 4 speaker setup. Phantom center channels seems rock solid in this room and without a steering amp I really don't see a need for the Cornie in the center. So, I am thinking about a couple of my Frazier Monte Carlos in the rear at cieling level. Personally, I've always felt a DynaQuad system was about as "pure" as one can get given that it is really only two channels with the out of phase info sent to the rear. As that info actually exists as part of the stereo recording process, it's pure, IMHO.

I think this is getting close. In any event, I can change it...that's we we audiophools do, isn't it?

Dave

post-9494-13819858935116_thumb.jpg