KLF-30 midrange buzz

Aj72

I just bought a pair of used KLF-30 which are great. Tonight I noticed for the first time there is a slight buzz/hum coming through the midrange on both sides equally. What could be the cause of this? The tweeters are fine no sound coming through those. My previous speakers in this position were KG 5.5s and never noticed any hum at all although there only two way (no midrange). Im using exactly the same gear only the speakers have changed. I also used short pieces of speaker cable as jumpers to connect the two sets of binding posts on each speaker (16gauge wire used for this). Any feedback would be helpful on this.

CECAA850 makes a very good point. You should also consider pulling the mid horns and checking the gaskets and also wrap some teflon pluming tape on the snout threads then snug the motors into place and have a listen. These snouts and horns most of the time are bare and can rattle loose as a result. Twice I have seen them with no rubber washers. Further the female thread section of the mid horn is very much prone to cracking or breaking off in transit so it is vey possible yours are both cracked. The crack/break almost alwys appears at the point of highest stress which is exactly at the point where the horn throat starts. screw the driver in hard ad take a good look with a magnafine glass you may find cracks. The threaded section of the of the horn simply shears off clean. These can be bonded back in place and I have also installed four machine screws to make suere the glue joint stays put. Good as new. I think you can buy the horn lens new from Klipsch service for $20.00 each plus postage. at least that was reported by a menber some time ago. Good luck. Best regards Moray James.

PS: make sure your male snouts ar firmly scredw doen to the magnet top plate. you should be good to go.

I just bought a pair of used KLF-30 which are great. Tonight I noticed for the first time there is a slight buzz/hum coming through the midrange on both sides equally. What could be the cause of this? The tweeters are fine no sound coming through those. My previous speakers in this position were KG 5.5s and never noticed any hum at all although there only two way (no midrange). Im using exactly the same gear only the speakers have changed. I also used short pieces of speaker cable as jumpers to connect the two sets of binding posts on each speaker (16gauge wire used for this). Any feedback would be helpful on this.

Are you talking with no music playing? If so, it is your front end equipment and not the speakers. They are much more efficient than the KG5.5s

Yes no music playing. As soon as I plug in to the preamplifier the buzz starts. Turning up volume doesn't make it hum any louder? It looks like the centre is also doing it. Never did before but I just got the unit back from the dealer after trying to rectify a minor issue. They upgraded the firmware and replaced the DSP. Initial problem still there which was minor and willing to accept. Looks like they created another one. This is the frustrating side of this hobby.......