Wife Friendly Living Room Setup Help

Bwool40

Trying to put together a solid setup for my new house. We are hanging a 60" LED above the Fire Place and I want to put in a decent 5.1 setup.

http://beast40.com/House/livingroom.jpg

My thoughts were to use an in wall speaker above the mantle and below the TV like the KL-6502-THX for the center channel. Is there a better option for in wall, is in wall even a good idea?

For the Front L+R I was thinking RB-51 II and put them on the far corners of the first shelf.

Then hang two ceiling speakers for the rears, CDT-5800-C II.

Any thoughts advice? Very new at this.

For A/V I was going to purchase a Denon AVR- X3000 based on my research for a decent mid level receiver.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, first off I am not a fan of in wall speakers at all if they can be avoided. Is your mantle deep enough for a rc-52ii or rc-42ii? Looks like your room is pretty good size. What kind of volume are you trying to achieve? And will this be mostly movies or music or half and half?

Welcome, I actually like the inwalls. But yes they are pricey and I wouldn't pay full price if I didn't have to. All so like Scrappy kind of said in a way, if you have room for actually speakers you will be much happier. I went inwall surrounds as the wife didn't want speakers hanging on the walls(funny how she let me keep the Cornwalls in the system). But I have had no problems and think they work great as far as surrounds go, but had not had the chance to demo l/c/rs for inwalls. Good luck let us know what you end up with.

Don't know what kind of mantle you have or how handy you are but if its an option you could build a new one to house your center so its hidden and closer to the proper height. That way there is no reflection off the mantle. This speaker is pretty critical since most of the sound during multi channels comes from it.

I’m not in love with in-wall/in-ceiling speakers either.
I've seen/heard two expensive in-wall set ups, one of each actually a Klipsch
+Elite. According to the owner he is sorry for going with in-wall speakers. Everything
has been done professionally and cost him a fortune, but it does not match his
expectations. Even more, he had to disconnect his center and add RC-62 instead
to improve mushy sound.

I got some construction expirience and if it would be me I
would make a niche above the mantle if it is not wide enough to accommodate large
center speaker. I’m no proffy and I don’t agree with “bigger is better” term, but
IMHO you better get a large center speaker and fronts if you want large and detailed
sound. Of course sub will help, but large speakers + sub >>>small speakers
+sub and you will feel difference especially in the large room.

You can use in-wall speakers for back or surrounds, but I
think on-wall SRS speakers with WDST would deliver wider and more detailed
sound.

i wouldn't expect big sound from the gallery series. while i haven't heard that exact model i have heard the gallery air a few times and it's nothing crazy, especially in a room that size. maybe you can buy somewhere with a great return policy in case you don't like it? just a thought, hate to see you get something and be disappointed.

I think the Gallery G-16 is going to make the most sense.

Thank you for the replies, great forum.

I hate to say it, Klipsch might not be the best brand for you if you slim line on wall. I havent heard the klipsch gallery and cant attest to their sound but there are tons of other brands out there with flat options. Def Tech comes to mind for that and they are sleek as hell. Personally, i think they are much nicer looking than the klipsch. Goldenear also has some flat optons too.

You have to get a sub of some sort for the lows, it might just sound like a glorified TV otherwise. You dont have to go insane. You can get smaller sealed subs that would do ya just fine. My emotiva sub was like 13" cubed i think. Not bad If i do say so. Its not going to get you doom boom down low low low but it will comfortably handle the subsonics and much nicely with your on-walls. For subs, don't feel compelled to stick with Klipsch, there are tons of options out there and for what it sounds like you need, affordable options too!