Quadapter Back, Yay!

Mallette

JBryan, go to my blog site in the link at my sig line and read "Whatever Happened to HiFi..." If the first part doesn't interest you, just skip down towards the end to the discussion of issues and solutions for surround sound. I argue...and have since the quad debacle...that 2 channel CANNOT be considered "high fidelity" as it cannot recreate accurately (as in "fidelity) an acoustic space/time event.

When a digital format is developed for download and general usage (not a medium, like BR, DVD, or SACD) your Quadradial will be perfect as there is no need for any more than 4 channels for this purpose IMHO.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the USPS finally delivered my TC-760LC phono preamp posted by billybob weeks ago, I'm in a position to listen to vinyl being played through my chip amps via the QD-1. As an aside, I couldn't be more pleased with the TC-760LC.

In the course of setting up the facilities to modify and compare two TDA7297 amps, I discovered a problem with the QD-1. The 3-position switch was not operating properly. When in the "Front Only" position, the right rear speaker still produced sound. After confirming the wiring and connections, I noticed that a contact had shifted, which caused the problem. That solved, I was ready to compare chip amps with the aid of the QD-1.

If interested, the photo shows the TDA7297 amps, as well as the Dynaco QD-1 (which Dave Mallete tempted me to get) and the TC-760LC. The TDA7292s and QD-1 are sitting on a Dynaco FM-5. The barrier strips behind the QD-1 enable easier and more secure connections to the QD-1. The spacing of 12 thumb-screw terminals on the rear of the QD-1 makes connections difficult and unstable. The thumb-screws were replaced by slotted screws that can be more easily and securely tightened. Short leads from the QD-1 to the barrier strips allow for adding or subtracting components easily without disturbing the antique terminals on the QD-1. Dave Mallete knows what I mean.

As part of my new vinyl addiction, I ordered a Denon DL-110 MC cartridge. It'll be my first experience with MC. I was seduced by the price ($139 from Amazon) and favorable reviews, especially the one attached. I was especially intrigued by the predicted suitability for enjoying used records, which is how I feed my addiction.

post-6832-0-15500000-1386017074_thumb.jp

Kobesky_review.pdf

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 years later...

Sadly, my Dynaco QD-1 is looking to find a new home. My shift to digital and balanced (no common ground) using Pono and a Wiener TPA3118 chip amp renders it useless. I'll post it in Garage Sale for $35 with free shipping to 48 states. It works perfectly, but the original black handle for the switch is missing.

Edited by DizRotus