Funny things a happenin on this board...

maxg

I've experienced a couple of periods recently where the system would return a "server not found" when attempting to post. My post would also disappear )-:. Sometimes I had to back out all the way to the Klipsch homepage and come back in to get it to work.

The system in general would be very slow at the same time. However, I've not experienced a complete failure to update like you.

I've been copying my post to clipboard befort hitting submit lately.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

They are appearing but slowly.

Takes about 5 minutes between a reply being posted and my being able to see it.

I have no idea how servers like this work but it is not something I have ever noticed before.

yes, and our BB software is just way outdated. the new bb will hopefully be our soon. i get a lot of down time lately, it was down lastnight and this morning, around 12:30-2:30 for me.

lets chant now,

We want a new Bulletin Board, We want a new Bulletin Board, We want....

ok, that was short lived Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

LOL

I had to learn the hard way. I type in the Biblical manner - seek and ye shall find - so typing a long post is pretty time consuming.

A while back I wrote a veritable opus which disappeared into the digital mists never to be seen again. Now if it is more than a 50 word paragraph - ie. 10 minutes worth - I copy it to the clipboard before submitting it. :~)>

Strange things are happening RIGHT NOW. Cursor gets way behind, then occasionally kicks me to the UserName or other box. If I type something there and don't notice, then I get a bad attachement or invalid user and lose my post.

Yes, something is weird with the board.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

OK, I've discovered an interesting thing about the anomalies I am experiencing. If the right drag bar is all the way to the top when I begin a reply, the type buffer is SO SLOW I cannot see what I've typed for more than a minute. However, if I move it down just a bit, everything is fine. If I move it back, everything s l o w s d o w n.

Very strange, indeed.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

sounds like a computer problem to me. check for updates to the browser youre using.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Hello dere!!

As an A+ Certified Computer Technician - I think Justin may be on to something here!

Yes the BB software has a glitch or two - especially given the amount of traffic that we have here - ( I say amount as opposed to frequency because even if the traffic volume is low the amount of background processing is high).

That said it sounds to me that you may have problems with your PC:

What operating system are you running?

Have you done a disk cleanup of late?

When was the last time you ran a defrag?

What programs automatically load at startup?

What Video card are you running?

How much VRAM is on your video card?

What CPU do you have?

How much RAM?

If you will post back with the answers to these questions I will be able to either rule out your PC as the source of your difficulties or if the PC is part of the problem I can probably help you resolve the problem.

Nothing like free expert advice.

I use an old 133mhz Compaq as a gateway machine. I consider the internet an open wound as I am on 24/7. It has 128 mbyte RAM. The graphics card is Cirrus Logic 5436. OS is 98SE. This thing with the slow typing until the right drag bar is moved is the only issue that MIGHT be machine related I've had with this thing. It is connected to my other machines via 10/100 Ethernet. It only runs ZoneAlarm and AdAware at startup.

Interesting point about defrag. My understanding is that defrag is no longer much of an issue with really big drives. I never do it unless I am about to image a drive for BU or migration. What's your opinion?

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Defragging is a good thing, so is fragging when playing games such as Quake III Smile.gif

you shoudl probably do that and a scan disc.

this is an old computer, when was the last time your reformatted? i have that same COmpaq i think... what model is yours?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Hello Mallett

By all means do a scandisk followed by a defragmentation. Actually large size hard disks can contribute to excessive fragmentation :

The huge storage capacity leads some users to never bother doing a disk cleanup thereby causing the read heads to have to jump around all over hell's half acre finding the various bits and pieces of the files being accessed.

Recommended Procedure:

Start>Find/Search

Enter the following into the dialogue box

*.tmp,*.temp,*.old,*.bak,*.chk,~.*

Edit>Select All>File>Delete

Click on Yes to send the files to the recycle bin.

Empty the recycle bin

Open Internet Exploder

Tools>Internet Options>Delete Temporary Internet Files>Delete History

Rt. Click on "My Computer" and click on tools >check for errors(Scandisk) and once that is complete Run the Defragmenter.

Justin asked about Formatting:

I do not advise formatting as a general rule unless you are planning to install a new Operating System. The procedure I have described above will restore a hard disk to Optimal operating condition without data loss or the need to re-install all of your software.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Justin: Really don't recall. It's a horizontal DeskPro of some vintage. Paid 75.00 for it with a Sony monitor just for this purpose as an expendable internet gateway. I generally hate OEM machines as being too non-standard. I've always built my serious machines from components.

I keep an image of this one on the network. If it gets a really vicious virus or something I just reformat and dump the image back, since I keep nothing but email on it. I back that up to another machine every few months or so.

Pretty difficult to relate to 2 channel audio :-)

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

quote:

Originally posted by Mallett:

Pretty difficult to relate to 2 channel audio :-)

Probably has a two channel sound card Smile.gif

I have a POS Sony Vaio that I have to reformat about ever 4 months. I am somewhat of a power user, so that is somewhat understandable. Instead of burning everything to cd to backup, I just recently bought a 80gb hard drive to put all 24gb's of mp3's onto and my 6gb of pictures and 10gb of video... yeah, a power user Smile.gif (to me at least Smile.gif)

Should probably reformat this month

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

The Webmaster at Klipsch wrote a bunch of garbage in Active-X. Click on "tools" and then "preferences" and shut the garbage off. I have a one year old computer at work with a T1 phone line and it won't run this garbage.

Kelly, sorry for not being more specific. This is in the browser. I'm running the latest version of IE. The path I used was tools-internet options-security-custom level-and then I shut off anything to do with ActiveX. I have a very low opinion of sofware nerds that can't write code that can run on a real(slow)computer on a real(noisey)phone line. Anybody can write garbage that will run on a Cray with a fiber connection.

djk: Why is there always a GOTCHA with Microsoft!!!

Turned off ActiveX and the board sped up nicely. Now I get a damned ol MS nag screen at EVERY refresh telling me I am commiting heresy by not enabling ActiveHex.

Think I may be ready for Linux.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett