Stacking Cornwalls?

MikeGinIllinois

Hi. I have a question that more's for fun at this point than it is serious. But it could be!

I've got an HK AVR 7200 which is powering two Cornwalls, two Synergy's, and two Radio Shacks. All's well. My buddy was over and wondered what it might be like if I got another pair of Cornwalls (my fronts) and stacked them on top of my existing Cornwalls. I keep thinking about that . . . [:D]

Is it possible to run two left and two right Cornwalls off of one amp? How might that be wired? Positive to Cornwall #1, negative to Cornwall #2, and a straight wire connecting the remaining positive and negative terminals?

Thanks for any input. I wonder if this crazy idea could work!

Mike Gallery

If you do it, flip the top one upside-down. It might sound weird but in a stacked configuration of that nature you want the tweeter and mids as close to each other as possible.

If you connect the speaker like you're describing its called a series connection. A parallel connection would be running both speakers off the same + and - from the amp. A series connection will present a lower (higher in number) ohm load to your receiver. If your speakers are 8 ohms nominal a series connection will result in about a 16 ohm load on your receiver. Your receiver won't be working as hard and you'll have to turn the Cornwalls up higher.

How do you have your speakers connected right now?

Hi, wuzzzer. Thanks for responding.

Currently I have my speakers hooked up from the 3 outputs on the HK, i.e., Fronts, Surrounds, and Rear Surrounds. I drive all six from the HK with one pair of wire running to each speaker - the normal usual way you'd expect.

It is doable, though, huh? It sounds like the series connection would be best. It'd be nuts to do this. <-: It would be my own Wall of Sound.

Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? <-:

Thanks.

Mike Gallery

I believe you would want to do them in parallel. Otherwise you get the anomalies of the impedance peaks and dips of one crossover affecting the other speaker. In the same way your lights in your house are in parallel, one bulb won't affect another on the circuit. The only issue would be whether or not the H/K can handle the 4 ohm (nominal) load if you do it that way.

Lots of folks have done this, with Corns, LaScalas, etc.

Bruce

Hi, Marvel. Here's a helpful article that I have read once.
I'm sure you know all about this. I have to study it before I get back in this thread. Smile

http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/articles/WiringLoudspeakers/WiringLoudspeakers.pdf

Mike

Helpful for the impedance issues, but doesn't address wiring two speaker systems with their included crossovers.

Bruce