klipschs forte's as rear channels

john toon

hello, I am trying to put together my HT set up after getting my klipschorns and would like other opinions. I currently have a klf-c7 to use as a center or surround back in a 6.1 set up with a sw-15 sub.

there is a pair of forte's on c-list I would like to add as surrounds and a single heresy as well. would the forte's make good rear channels with the k-horns? and should I use the klf-c7 or heresy as a center?

then all my speakers would be oiled oak except for the klf-c7....

I'm thinking putting the heresy as the surround back and keeping the klf-c7 up front. they both have the same sensitivity rating....

I have a pair of Fortes that I used as rear speakers in a 7.1 setup. They did an excellent job in that role, but... I found that they were kind of wasted back there. The side surround speakers make a huge difference but it doesn't seem to matter as much in the back. I swapped out a pair of KG-4s for the Fortes on the back channels and couldn't tell the difference, so I moved the Fortes to a 2 channel setup. I now have a pair of KPT-100s in the back (thanks to Mustang Guy). They actually seem to do a better job in that roll than the Fortes or the KG-4s!

Edit:

After reading your post again it sounds like you want to use the Fortes for the side channels (not rear)? Before I moved my La Scalas into that position I used the Fortes. They did very well as sides, but La Scalas do a lot better matching the K-horns. The sides just seem to matter so much more that the rear does.

thanks for the advise. tromprof is correct, I want to use the fortes for the side channels. I managed to find a pair of forte II's and will have them tonight. I went ahead and put the heresy in the rear (up high angled down) as i didn't really have room for it up front and didn't want to put it on its side. I was incorrect about the center channel I have. its the kv4 but still has the same sensitivity rating as the heresy. I'll live with this setup until I can find/afford a single belle for a center.

My advice would be either the Heresy as a center or no center at all. You're really not doing your Klipschorns any justice by putting a wimpy center speaker in the middle of them. A LaScala or Belle would be the best center.

Ditto and forte distance from side and back walls is important. If there is room to adjust the a fortes location

ok.

• Like 1

I finally got the forte II's and they are flawless golden oak. I built 15" tall solid oak stands to match and they turned out really good.. But due to a toddler running around the house I have to push them up almost against the wall to keep the passive 15's safe from little hands. I did just score a cornwall III missing the woofer and grill for 30 bucks today... how would that work for a center channel? I'm about to call crites for a replacment woofer and grill cloth. also how is the grill held on to the cornwall?

I finally got the forte II's and they are flawless golden oak. I built 15" tall solid oak stands to match and they turned out really good.. But due to a toddler running around the house I have to push them up almost against the wall to keep the passive 15's safe from little hands. I did just score a cornwall III missing the woofer and grill for 30 bucks today... how would that work for a center channel? I'm about to call crites for a replacment woofer and grill cloth. also how is the grill held on to the cornwall?

So you have the Forte as sides and Heresy as rears? If you have to place the rear-ported Forte up against the wall, use something else. Put the Heresy back there and get yourself a pair of KPT-100 to use as rears:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/175549/2099338.aspx

A single La Scala would would your best center, but I was once tempted to use a vertical Cornwall (placed horizontally such that the horn get aligned horizontally).