Not for sale: Horn Stack in my Avatar moved to bigger house

ClaudeJ1

how much does a 402 horn cost straight from klipsch or a dealer with no driver? i wonder how this horn would be with one of BMS's high end coaxial 2" compression drivers?

I have never tried the BMS driver in my 402's. I did try the JBL and EV drivers that go to higher frequencies than the K-1133, but I had to cross them above 500 hz. instead of 320 like I'm doing now.

Trust me. Pulling 320-500 Hz. out of a K-402/1133 sounds much more natural and detailed than pulling it out of a woofer section. Plus the K-402, which is a 90x60 degree horn, starts to beam after 5,000 Hz. which is why I prefer the "mini me" tweeter which, for the last 2 octaves, has the same beam pattern as the 402.

Hey Claude,

Any thoughts on parting out just the DE-250s to me?

Thx,

Tom

Don't take this the wrong way, but if all you want is DE-250's, why don't you just buy them new? They are not that expensive, as opposed to asking to cut the heart out of my tweeters just to save you fifty bucks or so.

It took me 6 years to get the "stack" sounding this good (hundreds of hours, dozens of drivers and horns (bass, mids, tweeters) from JBL, Peavey, and EV). Starting with adding a JBL "baby cheek" pair of Tweeters on top of my Khorns in 2007, right after a pilgrimage to Indy. Whether your are talking passive or active, LaScalas, Khorns, and, in my case the Peavey FH-1 cab (better built than old LaScala) all need some form of PEQ to kill a peak in the midbass. So, to make sure it's mostly "plug and play" for a buyer to go WOW from the getgo, I prefer not to part this out at the moment. So far, no cash buyers, so I will probably move the woofers to my new MWM derived bass horns, which are designed for 90 degrees dispersion and don't need a corner (although it still best there). Time is more precious than money at the moment, but I will need the cash to buy more stuff in my quest for the perfect sound in my new living room. In the meantime, these sound incredible with my new Danley DTS-10 subwoofer for movies AND music!

Hey Claude,

I know of this journey, as I was there right at the start when I was down at your place to buy your KHorns and you were just starting to build up the "stack"

Even back then in it's infancy, I remember it sounding pretty darn nice!

I was just figuring that most members would be interested primarily in the K-402/1133 combo and that the DE-250 might be left behind on their own.

A new pair are about $400 (I think) at PE, so your used pair might let me get to my 4Pi build at a bit more affordable cost.

I am not a cardiac surgeon (although, I do play one on TV ;) ), it was just a though.

Tom

I see a prospective buyer asked about using the K402 with the BMS Coaxial drivers which are the BMS4592ND. I am running a pair of those on K402s with DBB bass cabinets in a 2-way setup. They are awesome. They are not quite as sweet and clear as TAD 4002s which I use in another setup on K402s, but they are very very good IMHO. In fact, if I had them prior to buying TADs, I might not have spent the big money on the TADs. But the TADs are definitely superior.

Hopefully, this helps clarify.

Hey Claude,

I know of this journey, as I was there right at the start when I was down at your place to buy your KHorns and you were just starting to build up the "stack"

Even back then in it's infancy, I remember it sounding pretty darn nice!

I was just figuring that most members would be interested primarily in the K-402/1133 combo and that the DE-250 might be left behind on their own.

A new pair are about $400 (I think) at PE, so your used pair might let me get to my 4Pi build at a bit more affordable cost.

I am not a cardiac surgeon (although, I do play one on TV ;) ), it was just a though.

Tom

Tom, I'm glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way. So, if I decide to part it out, you have first dibs on the tweeters if you are still interested. All up in the air right now. Lol on your cardiac surgeon comment! Good to hear from you either way, and I still talk about the "home delivery" Khorns and the LaScala fitting into a compact car! Good memories.

I see a prospective buyer asked about using the K402 with the BMS Coaxial drivers which are the BMS4592ND. I am running a pair of those on K402s with DBB bass cabinets in a 2-way setup. They are awesome. They are not quite as sweet and clear as TAD 4002s which I use in another setup on K402s, but they are very very good IMHO. In fact, if I had them prior to buying TADs, I might not have spent the big money on the TADs. But the TADs are definitely superior.

Hopefully, this helps clarify.

They better be superior since those drivers cost more than my entire system!!

Tom, I'm glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way. So, if I decide to part it out, you have first dibs on the tweeters if you are still interested. All up in the air right now. Lol on your cardiac surgeon comment! Good to hear from you either way, and I still talk about the "home delivery" Khorns and the LaScala fitting into a compact car! Good memories.

Very good HiFi stories/memories!

Remember that Shelby Lynn disc I made for you, I just picked up a new release of it in SACD.

Somehow they managed to squeeze a little more sweetness out with this higher res offering!!!

I would love to have the DE-250s for my Four Pi project which will be a work in progress thanks to my visit this afternoon to my JBL Service Center.

I was a little leary about the re-cone job the previous owner had done on one of the 2226H woofers, as it didn't realy match visioally the other one.

As it turns out the re-cone job was done with a knock off kit and then on top of that the woofer that I thought was good hasa sagging, partially collapsed cone.

So I will be looking at 2 expensive re-cone jobs or cut my loses and send them back to the previous owner for a refund... minus all my shipping expenses.

Anyways Claude, drop me a line if the B&Cs are available.

Opps,

Claude, you are absolitely right :ohmy: ... "Don't take this the wrong way, but if all you want is DE-250's, why don't you just buy them new?"

I just went over to PE and I must have been looking at the wrong B&C model... the DE-250s sell for $110 each.

Tom

Bump this up for a good guy and a great system :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

do these come with passive networks?

Yes, but just for the mid and tweet. The woofer section uses a Behringer and 6 WPC chip amp to provide a minus PEQ at 140 hz. and a boost at 65 to flatten to 50 hz. the to a tapped horn sub, which is also for sale.