Tiny Tiny amp for Lascala

snailtrax

I want to try one of these, mainly out of curiosity, on my Lascala's.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=230-108

"Output power: 70 mW (32Ω), 12 mW (300Ω)"

Can someone do the math and give a reasonable opinion as to the volume I should expect using an Iphone 3 as the source, and this headphone amp as the "Amp"? I am thinking it might be suprising. I have no idea what the output of the Iphone 3 is. I already have a home-made adapter made up to adapt an earphone plug to speaker terminals.

I can see it now, just a AAA battery making all that music. I want to impress one of my "Car Audio" friends that believes the only way to get performance is with a pair of 1500 watt amps and power wires as big as your thumb. I already have a couple of small t-amps and am quite pleased with their performance. He hasn't seen the t-amps in action yet. I may be in for a disappointment, but I may try one anyway. Thanks, Bill

In Sam Tellig's test/impression of the La Scala II a few years ago, he found that a 3.5 watt amp did produce music, but the dynamics were a bit limited.

If you're going to buy it to use as a headphone amp anyway, why not try it, but don't expect much volume.

There really is no math available with respect to the LS. The LS probably dips to 4 ohms and the specs for the headphone amp only goes to 32 ohms. But that sort of relation shows that you can expect no bass. The AAA battery can't do too much.

If you are interested in small amps (and cheap) try http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-380 at least it seems to have specs at 4 ohms. The distortion seems high when you push it to the limits but could be very respectable at 1 or 5 watts, which are all you need.

WMcD

We experimented the other day and used a Samsung Note phone to drive one LaScala outside! It was ok to listen to for background music only... But I have no idea how much power the phone was putting out. I am assuming it was way below even a 10th of a watt.

I want to try one of these, mainly out of curiosity, on my Lascala's.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=230-108

"Output power: 70 mW (32Ω), 12 mW (300Ω)"

Can someone do the math and give a reasonable opinion as to the volume I should expect using an Iphone 3 as the source, and this headphone amp as the "Amp"? I am thinking it might be suprising. I have no idea what the output of the Iphone 3 is. I already have a home-made adapter made up to adapt an earphone plug to speaker terminals.

I can see it now, just a AAA battery making all that music. I want to impress one of my "Car Audio" friends that believes the only way to get performance is with a pair of 1500 watt amps and power wires as big as your thumb. I already have a couple of small t-amps and am quite pleased with their performance. He hasn't seen the t-amps in action yet. I may be in for a disappointment, but I may try one anyway. Thanks, Bill

If you want to impress them... Get a boombox and drive a pair off the headphone amp... We did that back in the early 1980s and it sounded like a big stereo!

In Sam Tellig's test/impression of the La Scala II a few years ago, he found that a 3.5 watt amp did produce music, but the dynamics were a bit limited.

How ironic, since many CDs don't have dynamics. I USE 3.5 watt amps and the dynamics aren't limited when I listen to classical/orchestral music, or lots of other music.

I wonder what Tellig means by limited?

• Like 1