RSW-10d bad amp / All subwoofer issues questions are welcome

dimanata2007

Hello guys.

Looks like they've changed a lot of things here and for some reason good old "Subwoofer" section disappeared (or very well hidden somewhere?) after late “facelift”. "search" option didn't help much either, so

How about a thread dedicated to subwoofers and issues related to them in "Home Theater" section?

ok, I'll go first :)

Yesterday I bought a used RSW-10d with bad amp.

I heard a lot about this bad boy and even though I have BIC-F12 and pretty happy with it, I decided to take my chances, shell $50 for it and possibly (if I 'll fix it) get much better sub.

Both drivers, wires, fuse -all looks good, but sub is dead- doesn’t make any sounds at all. If I plug it in and flip a power switch, LCD screen blinks blue for the sec. or so and then goes dead/grey again.

Does it look like a bad amp or it could be something else? Control board? Bad LCD? Bad driver?

Possible issues? Any way to test these components? Any way to fix blown amp on my own ?

I've purchased a replacement amp already (according to the seller it's a brand new tested amp) and wondering if simple amp swap would cure my sub. Any experience on it?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by dimanata2007

The active driver can be checked with an Ohm meter. Unplug the unit (naturally) unplug the wires going to the driver. Put one lead from your meter on each terminal of the driver. If it shows an open circuit, the driver is bad. If it shows 4 to 8 Ohms, the driver is good.

The active driver can be checked with an Ohm meter. Unplug the unit (naturally) unplug the wires going to the driver. Put one lead from your meter on each terminal of the driver. If it shows an open circuit, the driver is bad. If it shows 4 to 8 Ohms, the driver is good.

guy who I bought it from tested the woofer in front of me, but I believe his digital Ohm meter was showing 2. something...

open circuit-what it should show: "0"? nothing?

I guess they could have put a driver in there wired for 2 Ohms but there's not many plate amps that will handle that. A reading of 0 would mean a direct short. An open would read the same as if your leads weren't touching anything. Turn your meter on, select the Ohm scale and hold your leads apart, not touching anything or each other. That's an open reading. I would think your driver would show somewhere between 4 and 8 Ohms.

• Like 1

scratch that i just talked to him and he said he cancelled the order. having a local shop fix it. as far as an amp not fixing it, worse case you can always buy a an external amp like the inuke 1000dsp and still have a killer sub for like 300$

Edited by Scrappydue

i hope you didn't buy the plate amp on ebay? my buddy bought that same one like 4 weeks ago and is still "waiting" on it.

yes, I bought it on ebay. guy from Canada, selling bunch of Klipsch stuff. According to the listing amp is new/tested. I found no other amps for the RSW. I don't mind to wait, price was right ($90 shipped) and like I said I see no other amps for sale, not even used.

Edited by dimanata2007

i hope you didn't buy the plate amp on ebay? my buddy bought that same one like 4 weeks ago and is still "waiting" on it.

yes, I bought it on ebay. guy from Canada, selling bunch of Klipsch stuff. According to the listing amp is new/tested. I found no other amps for the RSW. I don't mind to wait, price was right ($90 shipped) and like I said I see no other amps for sale, not even used.

I don't know how it shows that the above is my quote, but it isn't. Must be a glitch.

Amy is the Queen! All hail the Queen!

Yes she is! And a very Good one at that.

The above is my quote, no glitch.

That's not so hard. Just delete your quote and put in anything I want.

Taz

Edited by John W. Henderson

I don't know how it shows that the above is my quote, but it isn't. Must be a glitch.

yeap, it's a glitch. somehow I hit "quote" on the wrong reply...

:unsure:

Got my replacment amp yersturday and installed it this morning.

We are "BOOMING"!!!

RSW-10d is a monster!

I've tried "punch" mode and turned it to 10db (11db is the max) and watched rubbits on my back got spooked by the sound of the magic beans growing and giant walking in the forest. :)

one down side: in this setting RSW easily overpowering my HT, so I had to switch to "movie" and turn it down to 3db.