Microscope Power Required

Wrinkles

Question for the fellas who have been down this path before.

What power microscope is required for viewing the condition of a cartridge needle.

Ebay has many powers available for USB connection which are inexpensive.

I took my collection of cartridges and needles into a brick and mortar audio store a few years ago and had the sales guy put them under his dual eyepiece microsope. He said "they all are bad and need replacing". Well, was he just wanting a sell of one of his pricy cartridges or was he telling me the truth. This pic came from the record cleaning thread. Thanks Mustang Guy for posting it in the thread. It would be nice to be able to get this type of magnification.

Thanks.

conical-eliptical-stylus.jpg

Edited by Wrinkles

I have used a Panasonic Light Scope FF-393E, and later added a FF-394E with more power for under $20 each. They work well enough to make sure I have a decent tip and when it's time to invest in a new stylus. Best used hand held so they take patience and a steady hand. If you want inexpensive and no fuss these are options. Look on ebay since they aren't made any more.

I think the optics used in these were of reasonable quality which is more than can be said for most of the junk manufactured today.

I have one of these. Price is good. But I write to warn you it is not what you need.

http://www.celestron.com/science_education/deluxe-handheld-digital-microscope.html

It is a lot of fun and I used it for looking for a flaw in a printed circuit board and connection to a chip.

It doesn't really zoom -- it is just a matter of getting closer and focusing.

However, looking at a penny the full screen is only somewhat less than the width of the Lincoln Memorial. You can see Abe okay but he fills just a fraction of the screen..

This is to say it is less powerful than you need.

WMcD

RickFL- idea of a kids microscope was good, but I did that a few years ago and now cannot find it. It did not really give a fine enough picture. It was a USB teaching type of toy. Not enough room below the lens. I think the garage sale lady of the house has moved it out. Thanks.

Mustang Guy, I have so many magnifiers and loops around here I picked up for this purpose over the years and none of them get down to where I can see the wear condition of the tips. Great idea. Just did not work for me. Maybe I have aging eyes. Thanks.

emmvette, I will look at your recommendations. I had not run across this one. The answer still eludes me as to what power I need. With all the USB variations on ebay, I think I could get one, but not wanting to buy a too weak powered one is my caution.

I have two stylus' for my old strain gauge cartridges that I want to try to take listen to. it has been too many years since I played with them and the condition of their stylus concerns me.

I appreciate all the help. Still looking for answers.

tigerwoodKhorns- the salesman was kinda indignent and only wanted sell me a Sumiko Blue Point Special. he was one of those guys wondering how much I had spent on my system. I could have asked, but I really did not want to deal with him any longer. The store has been closed for over a year, so I cannot go back. Besides it would be more fun to be able to view the condition here at kome. Thanks.

William - I believe you are correct in that it would not be of the necessary power to see the stylus condition I want to see. Thanks for the offer.

I would have to ask myself, if I could be able to determine stylus wear if it was staring me in the face. I think I could resolve irregularities in shape, or something gross like a chip, but after that I suppose I would be guessing. But I believe a strong microscope would do the trick and a stylus in worn or bad condition would be recognizable.

A 30X (power) optical scope with a light is your best bet. I have one made by Radio Shack that has a 30X scope with light and a 8X slide out lens. The scope has a transparent nosepiece that fits safely over a stylus and keeps it at the right distance to use the focus wheel.. Don't have the PN with me but I'm pretty sure you can find them on the secondary market.

The entry level USB microscopes are toys. We bought one, played with it for few days and gave it away. If you have a decent flatbed scanner and just about any image-processing program, you already have a superior microscope for small 3D items, like styli, coins, stamps, fabrics and the like. Scan the item at the highest optical rez your scanner has, and then view and enlarge the image on screen.I don't know what "optical power" that equates to, but it is far superior to a dinky USB toy scope.

I think I remember this image came from an electron microscope.

That would be surprising. Electron microscope have gains of up to 10 million X. The detail would be much much higher than on that image. A colleague is using CT scan to image plankton and showed examples made using an electron microscope. Impressive stuff.

I think I remember this image came from an electron microscope.

That would be surprising. Electron microscope have gains of up to 10 million X. The detail would be much much higher than on that image. A colleague is using CT scan to image plankton and showed examples made using an electron microscope. Impressive stuff.

I know the images in that thread of the grooves with the stylus was from an electron microscope. I'm just not sure about the above photo. The benefit of an electron microscope is it's ability to have an extremely high gain. Does that mean you cannot turn the gain down?

Electron microscope:

99625b515869aa9dc6d12aa399bcd061.jpg

Another:

230d228159a4806728ebb3b5594aa483.jpg

Try this search in images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stylus+electron+microscope&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=awmOUoDJPIfMkQfI94DwBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=722

Edited by mustang guy