Pioneer Elite sc75 vs onkyo 809? SC75 actual wpc?

sully141

Right now I have a onkyo 809, running at 7.1, a forum I seen said the amp is probably running 25 wpc, so not good for me. I was debating on buying a 2 or 3 channel emotiva amp to pair with my onkyo, but a audio shop had Pioneer elite sc 75 and he said they do 135 wpc at 7, but if I get that one then i'd like to run 9 channels[sounds like fun]. I can get the pioneer for 1400 out the door, and I might have the onkyo sold for around 500. Is the pioneer really worth a extra $ with no extra amp because it pushes enough wpc, or would I need a amp no matter what because the pioneer is overrated and pushes way less wpc.

Is there any difference that a person would notice between the 2 avrs besides the wpc rating?

And another question blu ray players, which is better the Samsung bdp7500, or the Pioneer elite 62fd. there's about a $80 difference.

Are you happy with the performance? Did the placebo affect set in when you read that your Onkyo may be producing only 25w/ch with all channels driven? Keep in mind, those "all channels driven" tests these magazines do are not real world tests. They are very demanding tests that cause the AVR's protection circuitry to prematurely kick in and limit power output. With that said, just add a quality outboard amp to squash those fears.

Now if you feel that the Pioneer Elite will enhance your system for music listening, then it might be a valid option. For primary HT use, the Onkyo is about as good as any receiver out there and would make a wonderful preamp/processor if you did decide on adding a multichannel amp.

Bill

I know I want to do something because when I turn off the sub its just like listening to the tv but its more detail and louder no bass at all with the volume set at 60. I only watch movies, I know my blu ray players is 5 yrs old so I want to upgrade that, I didn't know if I upgrade the blu ray then that will improve some stuff. Didn't know if the pioneer would eliminate the need for another amp. The amount of money I have in my onkyo and then adding something small like a emotive xpa 200 would be a little below the pioneer.

The Pioneer Elite AVR do delivery the power stated in the manual with all channels driven since each channel has a discrete amp. The SC can swing around 300 watts at peak. They are also great for tweaking the system after autocalibration. I have an SC 35 over the past several years and am glad I built my system around it. Since I have owend the SC 35, I have replaced speakers, power amps, BDP's, subs and otherr equipment which is a strong statement of how well I like the Pioneer Elite avr. Also the advance connectivity is a great option to expand the versatility of the system.MCACC is also a great room correction software that delivers great overall system integration. I have external amps on my avr. Do I need them? I have said for a while now that I may be over amped but, I like them and will most likly continue to use external amps, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I say add a used xpa-5 for like 600 bucks. And also keep in mind when you calibrate everything and your avr cuts off your speakers at 80 hz and you kick off your sub, it doesn't matter how big your speakers are and how much power you have. It will still have no bass. So your not gonna fix that with anything. No sure what mains you run but listen to some music in stereo then hit pure audio and it will disable audussey no sub and run your mains full range. That will change your outlook completely. But I say add an amp before you switch avrs. Amp will last a long time.

Thanks for the ideas but wouldn't a xpa-5 be a little to power for everything except the towers. The onkyo just has been annoying off and on because I can't get it off audyssy and one day it will sound good and the next it will just be sound bad. I don't know if its the blu rays or the player or the avr.

Well I just bought a pioneer 62fd for 150 out the door with black tie and tax, think I got a pretty good deal. Going to see how everything goes with that before I buy something. A guy might pay me $875 for my onkyo and a klipsch sw 450 sub. I figured if I could get that then maybe get the pioneer and a Sunfire hrs12 subwoofer.. I can get the pioneer sc 75 for 1300, and then dealer for the Sunfire hrs 12 wants $1200 so that a maybe. A pioneer rep told me today that the pioneer does push 135 wpc and if I run 9 channels then the 6,7,8,9 channes splits the watts.