Radio Delay options?

DizRotus

Does anyone have experience with radio delay devices, such as FanSync, etc.?

It pains me to listen to Buck & McCarver (or his replacement) call Detroit Tigers network TV games. Listening to the local announcers used to be an option in the pre-digital days. Now there is approximately a 7 second delay from the radio to the TV. Turning the TV audio down and listening to the radio doesn't work like it used to work.

At times the delay is useful. Listening to radio while working, after a significant event, I've got 7 seconds to go see it happen on TV. Sitting and watching a broadcast 7 seconds after you know the outcome is not good.

Please share experiences with hardware, techniques, etc. you've utilized to address this issue.

Edited by DizRotus

Thanks Carl.

Fini's thread will get me started.

Sancho P-

The DVR would work if the TV broadcast were ahead of the radio broadcast, but it's the other way around.

The DVR could work if there's a practical (read easy) way to record the radio broadcast on the DVR. Then the recording could be played 7 seconds later in synch with the TV broadcast. Can the radio signal be fed into and recorded by my AT&T U-Verse DVR?

Edited by DizRotus

I tried out using a delay plugin on a multitrack audio program (like garage band on the Mac). Most of the plugins won't delay that long, but I was able to do 30 seconds or so by chaining them together, one after another. It worked perfect. There are some freeware/shareware ones available for Windows, too. You wouldn't have to worry too much about the quality, but what I tried worked great.

I used Reaper for my testing.

http://www.reaper.fm/

It's available for Mac and Windows

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Carl-

Thanks for pointing me to Fini's thread on exactly the same issue.

After reading it, I purchased a used Radio Shark though Amazon for less than $25, shipped. I'll attach it to the "rooftop" FM antenna (local Tigers' games are on FM) in my attic and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

The used Radio Shark arrived in a padded envelope with nothing else; no manual, software, cords or anything. Finding information, manuals, software, etc. online was easy.

Installing it on a laptop was somewhat challenging, as the available instructions and software are inconsistent and referred to screens and configurations that differed from what appeared. It didn't take too long to dope it out.

Normally, the USB cable acts as the antenna. Using that, I was able to get barely adequate reception upstairs, but inadequate reception in the basement, where I'll use it to synch to the sports TV. At the suggestion of others on the Internet, I plugged my "rooftop" (actually in the attic) antenna into the headphone jack. Now I get good reception of the FM station that carries the Detroit Tigers' games and the AM station that carries Spartans' games.

It was easy to synch the radio broadcast with the TV broadcast of the Lions' final failure. The device allowed me to delay the radio approximately 3 seconds to match the TV. When the referee announced the results of a challenge, the sound and picture were perfectly synchronized. Beginner's luck.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1