EQ's

quakana

I know true audiophile's dont like EQ's but I find on different types of music/recordings its nice to be able to mess with tone a bit to my liking

Can anyone recommend a GREAT EQ?

I am currently running a Kinergetics C800 preamp a yamaha M-65 power amp and RF-7ii's

Both parametric and graphic EQs seem to be on their way out in favor of Audyssey XT or a better Audyssey (X32?), or the like, built into your preamp or receiver. Although it will provide over 100 points of correction to your speaker and room response (automatically, from several microphone positions around the listening area), it will work well with most music only if there is a subwoofer that is turned up a little after running Audyssey, or bass boost via separate tone controlls that will not turn off Audyssey (the graphic ones will shut Audyssey right down, so go for bass and treble controls, or a sub that you turn up after running Audyssey; don't be fooled by the copy function on your preamp or receiver -- since this function uses the sliders, it will turn Audyssey off, a fact that is not clear in many manuals). The reason for the sloped curve is that frequency response that is louder in the bass "sounds flat," unlike truly flat reproduction, which tends to sound lacking in the bass (especially on CDs) -- Google research on the subject, including that of Harmon. You can make minor corrections for different music disks only with tone controls or sub controls, after the fact, not Audyssey itself (except for very expensive versions, and then the adjustment for preference is quite minor). The better automated EQs, like Audyssey, attempt to get around some of the problems with manual equalizers. My old graphic drove me crazy. Which explains a lot. Also Google the Audyssey website(s) for their claims.

I'm happy with a relatively smooth curve provided by Audyssey, with the bass jacked up, after the fact.

Edited by Garyrc