Which speakers for my computer:Klipsch or Bose

an_indian

I'm currently looking for the best speakers for my computer, which I use for gaming, a little music, multitasking, Flash, and development. I'm currently leaning towards Klipsh, because they make computer speakers, but I'm considering Bose because it was founded by an Indian guy like me. Any advice?

------------------

Klipsh, or Bose?

Most of us here really don't like Bose. Take those little cubes for instance. They consist of two 1" speakers is it? And they try to get full range out of them. This ends up trailing off at about 500-12000 Hz, I think. And their Acoustimass bass module is supposed to be a sub, but it isn't. This is why even they don't call it a sub, but a bass module. It uses three 5 1/4" drivers. True subwoofers don't even start until 8", from my understanding.

Now that is not to say Bose is terrible. They are great for saving space. But IMO, I would rather have a little bit bulkier of a speaker in a ProMedia or a Quintet, than this.

The PM's are great for music too. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. But just so that this post is not attacked by a hostile member (Klipsch_let_me_down comes to mind immediately) they do have some failures, as with anything really. If you buy these from a Best Buy or CompUSA, or any other store like that, be sure to get their extended warranty just to avoid any problems in case they should ever go bad.

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

quote:

Originally posted by trespasser_guy:

Most of us here really don't like Bose. Take those little cubes for instance. They consist of two 1" speakers is it? And they try to get full range out of them. This ends up trailing off at about 500-12000 Hz, I think. And their Acoustimass bass module is supposed to be a sub, but it isn't. This is why even they don't call it a sub, but a bass module. It uses three 5 1/4" drivers. True subwoofers don't even start until 8", from my understanding.

Now that is not to say Bose is terrible. They are great for saving space. But IMO, I would rather have a little bit bulkier of a speaker in a ProMedia or a Quintet, than this.

The PM's are great for music too. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. But just so that this post is not attacked by a hostile member (Klipsch_let_me_down comes to mind immediately) they do have some failures, as with anything really. If you buy these from a Best Buy or CompUSA, or any other store like that, be sure to get their extended warranty just to avoid any problems in case they should ever go bad.

THX thanx

------------------

Klipsh, or Bose?

for the love of all things audio, don't get the BOSE's.

for me, before I got the ProMedia v2.400's, I was looking at a BOSE two speaker system. When I compared it to the v2.400's at my local klipsch dealer, my decision was made. KLIPSCH.

then i started more and more research into audio and learned so much about BOSE and how Omar (spelling... name...) Bose's theory is unfounded.

A sub starts at ~80Hz, ends at 16Hz, unaudible, but there. A BOSE sub starts way high to do vocals, and then because of the limitations of the frequency responce it is set to, it stops before it gets low. The straight port with two or three woofers moves a lot of air through the port which causes a boomy bass sound. uneducated people think that that is good bass, hence the audio some cars have.

The tiny speakers of the BOSE satellites are tweeters, nohting more. It really takes a tweeter to BE that directional, as they claim. BOSE explains how the two satellites bounce the sound all around the room etc etc etc. First off, sound waves don't bounce like that, like a laser on mirrors. Also, the freqencies that satellite speakers are supposed to reproduce, when it is a one way speaker, are not NEARLY as directional as what BOSE says they are. However, the high frequencies, 7000+, are directional, and not NEARLY as important as the midrange which has been sacraficed for a small speaker.

BOSE speakers are great for people who don't want to ever see speakers and just need something to fill the sound void. Even the larger BOSE speakers. BUt if you want real sound, get something audiophiles use, Klipsch, Polk, B/W, MK, etc etc. Not something audiphiles despise of, BOSE.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

BUt if you want real sound, get something audiophiles use, Klipsch, Polk, B/W, MK, etc etc. Not something audiphiles despise of, BOSE.

U nuts? Polk Audio sucks dick I have polk speakers, and they are pure crap!

------------------

Klipsh, or Bose?

HAHA

Im sorry but i have heard some great sounding bose systems, they are a proven company, plus they last more then a few months.

Seriously the clarity in Bose compared to klipsch is like nite and day, honestly speaking from a klipsch owner..they arent to clear, and some times can sound pretty damn harsh, i actually prefer my old boston acoustics ba4800 sats more.

------------------

B

L

A

H

Ninja, are you comparing to a Klipsch ProMedia set for clarity?! Have you ever heard any others?! Heritage for instance?! Klipsch does have a harsh sound, but that is what most people like about it and why they come back to it. It is a good movie sound. Smile.gif

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

quote:

Originally posted by A N1NJA:

Uh, i was just talkin about pm5.1's sorry if u misunderstood me.

I have this feeling that you are VERY VERY VERY new to the audio world, and have not even begun to expolre what it out there. Your first experience with speakers that have some sound quality, and you are comparing 5.1's to the multi thousand dollar BOSE systems which are the only ones that can atleast make the volume the 5.1's make, but the clairty is TERRIBLE with bose. no high no lows, must be BOSE. clairty comes in the highs and the ability to pin point different insturments and qualities of music.

however, as any audiophile knows, using a woofer less than 8 inches for a sub, and then using it to make midrange sound, is a catastrophic thing to do. doppler distortion, look it up. then porting midranges like they do is so cheap, what are thsoe speakers made to do anyways?!! they mean to port the bass on the sub. NO home theater sub should need ot be ported. none. sonosubs are ported, however, these subs make 16Hz at 125db! BOSE subs would be lucky to hit 40Hz at 90dB! heck they would be lucky to hit 30Hz at 10dB, unaudible at this point, too low volume.

have you ever seen what the BOSE speakers are made of? thin plastic casings which are the WORSE cabinets for speakers, promedia's, logitech and lesser so, altec at least use a high density plastic. they also use paper cones that are more similar to manilla paper, like what you wrote on in kindergarden, than real speakre cone material.

i can go on it you like

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

• 1 month later...

Listen up you newbies I heard too much

Time to whip some sense into ya

cwm13.gif

First of all how could ANYONE even CONSIDER a total travesty like B0$e? Have some pride and dont even mention it.Please

When I was a kid and I heard B0$e I knew I would NOT get these colored,distorting,definition-less cardboard boxes.B0$e is the best...best White Van Co. in the world and even runns adds in mags.The sad part...it works for them!

I would give B0$e as a gift to anyone I really HATE.

Now this takes the cake...

"nuts? Polk Audio sucks dick I have polk speakers, and they are pure crap!"

Get some ears and learn to listen.

PolkAudio RT3000P and LSi series sound very good.I think you were fooled by some greasy slaes tactics,the grease ball changed the badges and you were listening to some B0$e.

What model did you listen to? What amplification was used,CD player? Cables and interconects? Room,acoustics good? SOund treated room? Did you listen in a cave? A barn with cows and sheep?

PolkAudio may not be JM Lab(Focal),Dyanudio or Avalon but they make some good speakers priced down to earth.

In other words good value for the hamburger money spent.

Well well great Ninja your ears need practice too!

"m sorry but i have heard some great sounding bose systems, they are a proven company, plus they last more then a few months."

Sorry pal

The only thing B0$e has proven is they have the best...marketing and blegal brainwashing methods!

Also your definition of "great sound" must be limited.

If you call no upper range,colored midrange and undefined boomy bass "great sound".Fine its your loss.

Speakers should be accurate and recreate the musical event...not castrate the sounds and corrupt the message.

"ou will be paying hundreds of dollars more for a bose 5.1 system opposed to a klipsch pm 5.1 system.."

Wow

In other words you will empty your bank account faster and get less qulaity! Way to go

Spend more and get less! WHEEEEEEE

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

at least Bose Work and are proven over time, Promedia always seem to break, and when you get them replaced your warranty is downgraded to 90 days because they know new set won't last and want to make sure they don't have to pay for a third forth Fifth, even sixth set like they have been doing. I would check out Altec Lansing, I have a pair of those for 4 years never a problem I'm using them now after my Promedias 5.1s crapped out.

I had a set of 201 bose speakers before I was enlightened by my promedias. The 201's are definately not the best bose speakers you can buy (if there is such a thing) but I am going to tell you about the low quality of these speaks.

The sound was so flat, not dynamic at all I hated them. My old philips mini-system was much better, great mid ranges and clear highs. I could say nothing good about these speakers. "No lows, no highs, must be bose" that is so true. As a 14 year old, I am no audiophile but I could tell the difference between my $200 bose, and my $400 klipsch. Go with klipsch it is worth it.

This message has been edited by ajgb72 on 08-21-2002 at 06:07 PM

ajgb72,

I agree here,anyone with ears can tell apart a

grotesque B0$e from half competent speakers.

I can build better sounding speakers using a trash can as the subwoofer cabinet and two soda cans as sats cabinets!And this High-End setup will probably sound better then...B0$e!And cost 100 times less!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hear that B0$e,an orange crab can build better speakers using spare parts and soda cans!

cwm27.gif

Shame on you B0$e

trespasser_guy,

Go for it I am quite sure you could build better sounding speakers thru research.As B0$e sells more thru lega brainwash adds.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

lol, one of my saxophone buddy's just bought some bose 201's, and must say I just hate them compared to my SF-2's. Especially now that I have a Mcintosh amp driving them. nothing better than mc and klipsch combined in a system. Listen to this, funnies thing ever. I wrote bose asking why they don't post system specs and heres what they said to me. "we do not post our speaker specifications because we feel they do not mean very much in terms of build and sound quality. meaning, a 10 dollar speaker could have the same specs as our top of the line, yet sound far worse, yet people would still buy it". Buy it probably because it sounds 10 times better than their pieces of crap.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

Amp for stereo Listening- Home-made tube amp 100 watt monoblocks

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.

i went to a bose store and asked, they told me that their products perform beyond the measurable scale and therefore the technology to scientifically measure the speakers' specs was not really possible.

haha, keep the story straight bose Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Justin,

Just for fun and to make the B0$e pushers sweat

Next time you trip over and end up in a B0$e "store" ask these clowns how they feel about the big speaker sound of B0$e compared to RF-7's and Dynaudio Contour 3.3's.

cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Ask these hooligans how they compare the detail of their full range drivers to the Dynaudio Esotar 2 tweeter. MUA HA HA HA

Ask them how to they compare the sub bass of their Acoustic Mess bass module to SVS,Sunfire,Aerial,Velodyne and Revel. LOL cubed

Just torture them with questions Justin

After ask about the size in VA of the main power transformer,then the value in uF of the caps.Go ask them,TORTURE them.Have no mercy

LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears