Consonance

Deang

These appear to be some very nice offerings. I'm especially drawn to thef> Joplin f>

A mere 13 watts is unimaginable to me. This amp however, is very intriquing.f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any are wondering why I have not got the Joplin, Basie, and Billie, it's because they will be seeing duty at the CHI-TOWN SUMMER HORN BASH c> outside of Chicago the July 27.

After the 27th, I should be getting the Basie and 2A3 Joplin, followed by the 300B Billie.

Dean, I dont know why you're questioning 13w so heavily as your original Super Amp was only 15w per channel. And I am willing to bet the 2A3 push pull will sound more dynamic and ballsy than the Super Amp, even in DJH form. The 2A3 is a hell of a tube and a true TRIODE, not a pentode tube wired in triode.

I'll let you know how it sounds. Anyone near the Chicago area in the end of July really should try to make it to the Horn Bash.

kh

Yeah, I was thinking about that 15 watts to 13 watts thing last night as I was drifting off to sleep. Then I started thinking about 13 watts to 9 watts. After so many years of solid state -- I still find it difficult to keep perspective on the power thing.

I specifically upgraded to the DJH version of the Super Amp, not so much to in an attempt to squeeze that LAST ounce of transparency out of my system, but to gain the extra 3db of headroom -- since I also use my system to watch movies. The extra power is certainly nice in this regard.

What I am really interested in is learning how to solder, and actually learning something about how these things are put together and work. If I find I have an 'upgrade' at the end of it all -- well then, that's all the better.

However, I am really satisfied with how things sound right now -- and I will have the AE-3 shortly.

Complicating matters further, I also have my eye on a Romanian Romak 3 Dragunov 7.62x54R sniper rifle.

fpk.gif

Hmmm. 13 watts, 9 watts, 7.62x54R. 13 watts, 9 watts, 7.62x54R. 13 watts, 9 watts, 7.62x54R.

I think I need to sleep on this some more.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

1) For the same reason those "upstanding Christians" of the Revolutionary War did.

2) To protect myself from the fascists who have kidnapped the "Religious Right".

3) But mostly, just because it's plain fun.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

Lordy...heh. What's with the sniper rifle, Dean?

Man, it seems that computers and guns go together as many that inhabit the forums seem to admire guns. Yes, it's a stereotype but also one that I have seen over and over again.

I am probably one of the few on here that has a general disdain for firearms. I am not an anti-gun fiend but I find the interest in guns to run alongside overanxious patriotism, with American flags waving, God is my co-pilor rhetoric that is a bit frightening for the mindset it generally represents. More useless stereotyping here... And of course, I exaggerate for the fun of it...

Power in amplification is one of the most misunderstood and misused aspects of audio. It is the first thing the novice thinks he or she needs, and the more the better. This is definitely not always true. But I have almost given up debating it. I will probably wish I had given up before posting that paragraph on guns ...heh.

Dean, one day you will try some vintage audio gear and wonder where all the money went! Remember where I rate ye olde Super Amp in musical satisfaction compared to other more controversial (read "old") offerings. Still, I think it's a great amplifier - I only wish you hadnt stole my buyer!!!!

kh

Hi dean,

If you want to know more about the soldering procedure, you might find this link useful:

Soldering procedure

Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by deang:

What I am really interested in is learning how to solder, and actually learning something about how these things are put together and work. If I find I have an 'upgrade' at the end of it all -- well then, that's all the better.

------------------

My system

Thanks Weiming! Nice link.

Kelly -- your funny. My interest in firearms started with black powder back in the 70's. Most shooters are involved with the sport simply because it's great recreation and fun. I don't personally know any shooter who even has a remote interest in violence. The 'loons' ARE out there however, and this is all the more reason for the stable minded and gentle to remain armed. This is a complicated issue. I will only say that if you are ever confronted with a dire situation -- you might find that dialing for a pizza will net a faster response than dialing 911. A firearm is the only thing that makes say, a 90lb. woman equal with a 220lb. maniac.

It is a shame that a large segment of our society has become so lazy and irresponsible -- that you can't even trust them with a toaster oven. This, along with so many unstable people in our society, has led me to the idea that it's not necessarily a good idea to let ANYONE have a gun. I'm a big advocate of mandatory safety classes, a demonstration of proficiency with the firearm, and licensing. Hell, we need at least this to drive a freaking car. I'm also a big advocate of concealed carry. An armed society is a polite society, as long as all are armed. The alternative is for only the wicked to be armed. This does not bode well for the righteous.

At any rate, we only scream the 2nd amendment when everyone starts picking on us, and making us out to be a bunch of psychos.

Fini -- our church doesn't have a balcony. Besides, I usually only carry my handgun to church, nestled inside my Bible case with my Bible. Hey, you never know when the preacher might go 'David Koresh', or 'Jim Jones' on you.

f>cwm24.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

Dean- You'd think, if they can send a man to the moon, by now they woulda come up with a combination Bible/gun. Being forced to carry both is, so 90's... I mean, they can put video games into cel phones...

fini

I don't know about all the politics in this, but I felt real good about having my old Belgian Browning Hi-Power with me the other day. We (my family, wife and 4-yr old) were tent camping in sunny SoCal, in the site next to us were a bunch (six or so) of Hispanic males who got drinking too much late one night. Next thing I know they're screaming about killing fu**ing gringos and whatnot like that. My wife and son were paralyzed with fear in their sleeping bags but I was thinking that I had a lot more rounds than they had guys to absorb them. Call 911? Go ahead, they'll come and take a report, shake their heads over what happened to that family. I have now officially moved into the "pry it from my cold dead fingers camp."

Tom (who is also a Christian, but not so forgiving that he would let his family be slaughtered for somebodies entertainment.)

I hear that! Hell yea! Damn Hispanics! Make sure you pass down your wisdom to your four year old daughter.

I dont know how I got along all these years from here to Africa without guns... How ignornant could I have been?

Sadly, ironically enough, if alone in a camping area with just the two of us, you would be the one I would be worrying about with your Hi-Power Browning and four year old and whatnot.

kh

deang,

As for soldering instructions, you can usually find good basic instuction in books on the rack at your local Rat Shack.

As far as your comments on everyone being armed as any sort of solution to anything, or equalizing a 90lb vs 220lb maniac is totally WHACKED! And for Tom, if you think your Hi Power whatever is the solution to some loudmouths, dream on. In case neither of you knows, most of you folks with weapons usually end up with your own weapons being taken from you and then being used against you. Maybe you also don't know that a "Self defense" plea is not worth much in a court of law except in the movies. There are even laws now in most states about using excessive force. Silly wabbits. Maybe spending some moments helping your fellow man and developing a better understanding of the BS that creates such social, political and economic polairty in our great nation would serve you better.

BTW, I earned expert marksmanship medals and was proficient in all shooting positions by age 15, earned the same in the military, so I'm not afraid of weapons. Just afraid of those who think they(guns) are any kind of solution to "whatever" problems of society. Let's stick to audio and "soldering" guns.

Klipsch out.

I hear that! Hell yea! Damn Hispanics! Make sure you pass down your wisdom to your four year old daughter. I dont know how I got along all these years from here to Africa without guns... How ignornant could I have been?f>

Interesting how you totally disregard the potentially dangerous situation Tom and his family were in. Tom had to point out they were Hispanics, not because he is racist, but so his comments regarding what they were communicating to each other in their camp area would have context.

So, I guess if they decide to stroll over into Tom's camp area, and start to eye is wife, he should just be a good humanitarian and roll over and go back to sleep?

It's nice you made from Africa to here without guns. However, what I find ironic is that if you had ever found yourself in a very bad situation -- you would have had no qualms with putting a policeman's life on the line to protect your pacifistic rear end. Consistency thou art a jewel.

f>

Sadly, ironically enough, if alone in a camping area with just the two of us, you would be the one I would be worrying about with your Hi-Power Browning and four year old and whatnot.f>

I guess what you are saying here is that Tom is complete idiot and might shoot his daughter? This is a typical attitude towards responsible gun owners. Maybe Tom's 4 year daughter (who can't even work the action on an automatic), might take that Browning, run off into the woods and shoot herself?

Ever been in a camping area and been approached by a rabid racoon? Well, I guess you can always beat it down with your lawn chair.

f>

As far as your comments on everyone being armed as any sort of solution to anything...f>

You might want to study the violent crime statistics in Florida before, and after the conceal carry law passed.f>

...or equalizing a 90lb vs 220lb maniac is totally WHACKED!f>

Powerful argument. What would be your preferred method of protection for your wife or girlfriend, if she is knowingly being stalked in a mall parking lot? Harsh language?f>

...if you think your Hi Power whatever is the solution to some loudmouths, dream on. In case neither of you knows, most of you folks with weapons usually end up with your own weapons being taken from you and then being used against you.f>

We just be ignrent cowboys dat don't know nothn. Please explain how my gun will be taken from me as I am pointing it into the face of a potential perpetrator? Please site your source for this age old and inaccurate argument.f>

Maybe you also don't know that a "Self defense" plea is not worth much in a court of law except in the movies. There are even laws now in most states about using excessive force.f>

Yes, there are stipulations. However, you are generalizing. These laws make allowances for the threat level. In Tom's case, it would NOT have been excessive. Someone in my house in the middle of the night with kids in the bedrooms will be shot. The saying is true -- better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.f>

Silly wabbits. Maybe spending some moments helping your fellow man and developing a better understanding of the BS that creates such social, political and economic polairty (did you mean "polarization"?) in our great nation would serve you better.f>

If ever confronted by a "fellow man" bent on stealing one of my kids, raping my wife, or gutting me for my wallet -- I will be sure to deliver the proper social commentary before sending him to Hell.f>

I earned expert marksmanship medals and was proficient in all shooting positions by age 15, earned the same in the military, so I'm not afraid of weapons. Just afraid of those who think they(guns) are any kind of solution to "whatever" problems of society.f>

There is no such thing as "expert marksmanship". These are two distinct classifications of proficiency. You probably qualified as "Marksman", which is the typical standard for Scouts and the Military. There then also exists:

"Sharpshooter"

"Expert"

"Master"

"Grandmaster"

The "problem" is potential violence against my person or family by people without conscience. Please explain the available solutions to me.

f>

Let's stick to audio and "soldering" guns.f>

A soldering gun is very dangerous. I keep mine unplugged and put away so my two year doesn't electrocute or burn herselff>

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 07-11-2002 at 12:29 PM

Is a firearm in your home "22 times more likely" to be used to kill or injure a family member than to be used for protection? Or "43 times more likely?" How about "18 times more likely?" Anti-gun groups and politicians say it is, citing research by Arthur L. Kellermann, M.D.

Dr. Kellermann's dubious conclusions provide anti-gunners propaganda they use to try to frighten Americans into voluntarily disposing of their gunsin essence, to do to themselves what the anti-gunners have been unable to do to them by legislative, regulatory, or judicial means.

Kellermann admits to the political goal of his work, saying "People should be strongly discouraged from keeping guns in their homes." ("Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home," New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. 1993.) Anti-gun groups have seized upon his most recent attempt in this regard, a "study" from which the bogus "22 times more likely" risk-benefit ratio is derived. ("Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home," Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection and Critical Care, Aug. 1998.) The study suffers numerous flaws common to previous Kellermann efforts, including the fact that it is a very small-scale survey of sample jurisdictions that are not representative of the country or even of one another.

Most significant, though, Kellermann severely understates defensive uses of guns, by counting only those in which criminals are killed or injured. Dr. Edgar A. Suter, writing in the Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia, explains the error in the context of an earlier Kellermann study, which compared family member deaths to killings of criminals: "The true measure of the protective benefits of guns are the lives saved, the injuries prevented, the medical costs saved, and the property protectednot the burglar or rapist body count. Since only 0.1% to 0.2% of defensive gun usage involves the death of the criminal, any study, such as this, that counts criminal deaths as the only measure of the protective benefits of guns will expectedly underestimate the benefits of firearms by a factor of 500 to 1,000." ("Guns in the Medical LiteratureA Failure of Peer Review," March 1994, p. 134.)

Similarly, criminologist Gary Kleck notes, "More commonly, guns are merely pointed at another person, or perhaps referred to or displayed, and this sufficient to accomplish the ends of the user." (Targeting Guns, Aldine de Gruyter, 1997, p. 162.) Kleck's 1995 landmark survey of defensive gun uses found guns used for protection as many as 2.5 million times annually, a number much smaller, obviously, than the number of criminals killed or wounded. ("Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Fall 1995.)

Kellermann's "22 times more likely" study suffers yet another flaw: only 14.2% of criminal gun-related homicides and assaults he surveyed involved guns kept in the homes where the crimes occurred. With a similar sloppiness in his "43 times more likely" study, suicides (never shown to correlate to gun ownership) accounted for the overwhelming majority of gun-related family member deaths he pretended to compare to defensive gun uses.

f>s>

Death Statistics

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 07-11-2002 at 11:15 AM

Dean, the above (excluding your second post which was just added) is a perfect reason why I only really like to read audio (and even that gets hard) in these forums.

That is a horrible display of logic and fallacies. Granted, I didnt go into much detail in my post and there was some jest involved, but the conclusions you draw are on another plane.

To work out an answer to the above statements, from the "police on the line" comment to your interesting use of the word "you" to cover two posters in the context and connotations of one entity, would take far too long and involved a response for this 2 Channel area.

This is a rather monumental debate that goes FAR beyond guns as we have completely different core perceptions of the World and cause and effect.

I'll just stick to hum solutions, music, along with the occasional barb when I see what I believe to be slightly more Neanderthaloid-esque observations.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-11-2002 at 11:24 AM

Dean, the above (excluding your second post which was just added) is a perfect reason why I only really like to read audio (and even that gets hard) in these forums.f>

Hey, this is supposed to be fun! It's just clean debate, and I don't hold any ill will towards you or anyone else for choosing to disagree. We can agree to disagree -- and still appreciate each other.f>

That is a horrible display of logic and fallacies. Granted, I didnt go into much detail in my post and there was some jest involved, but the conclusions you draw are on another plane.f>

I apologize. I read more into your response than I probably should have.f>

...your interesting use of the word "you" to cover two posters in the context and connotations of one entity...f>

Hmmm. I wasn't aware I was doing this. That is why I include the comments into my response so everyone knows what/who I am addressing.f>

This is a rather monumental debate that goes FAR beyond guns as we have completely different core perceptions of the World and cause and effect.f>

Well, I said it was complicated. I agree it all goes way beyond guns, but we were only talking about guns. To talk about core perceptions and cause and effect we would have to start a new threadf>Smile.gif

...along with the occasional barb when I see what I believe to be slightly more Neanderthaloid-esque observations.f>

Speaking of Neanderthals -- if one had you cornered behind one of your Cornwalls, and was swinging a big stick at you. Would you:

a) Duck, and allow the Cornwall to absorb the blows.

B) Pick up one of your Moondogs and attempt to divert the blows.

c) Throw large tubes at him

f>cwm11.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 07-11-2002 at 01:34 PM

Nice use of cool head and humor in response.

As for the last question, I would probably quickly deposit The Dead Boys doing Sonic Reducer onto TT and bring said intruder to his knees in utter confusion and despair.

A gun would be too easy...besides, I havent had a gun since my Red Ryder BB Gun from 1968.

kh

LOL

I'm not sure what "The Dead Boys doing Sonic Reducer", is. But I have a feeling it might even bring me to my knees in utter confusion and despair.

Red Ryder BB Gun from 1968? Those are fun too

f>Smile.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>