Consonance

Deang

Getting back to the subject, I would be interested in hearing Mobiles review of the Joplin. What is push-pull anyway? My McIntosh Mc206 (SS) has it. My University is way more efficient then my Klipschorns and LaScalas. It's 6db louder on my sound level meter at about 15 feet in front of the speakers. I found this out when Mike came over. Now here is a speaker for tube amps.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deang,

Some of my concluding words on this rather than keeping the debate going are,...you've seen too many Charles Bronson movies! I also know the language well and I correctly used the word polarity.(Check an unabridged dictionary.) As for the "threat", other than loudmouthing, nothing happened, but I'm sure you think it was because Tom had a weapon. There is no excuse for the other campers behavior, but the "my gun will save me" philosophy, please spare me. The archives must be full of instances where the minorities are overrunning the majority population, stalking and killing their wives and children, uggh..I'm already sick! I'm sure nothing I say will ever change your position. Maybe one day you'll get a little further into the teachings of the person who's name is part of the word "Christian", then to, maybe not.

This was my last politcal statement in this forum.

Klipsch out.

...you've seen too many Charles Bronson movies!f>

Thanks for insulting my intelligence. Maybe you're just trying to be funny. BTW, those Bronson movies dealt with vigilantism and revenge. I don't see where I touched on anything like that.f>

I also know the language well and I correctly used the word polarity.(Check an unabridged dictionary.)f>

I wasn't trying to slam you, Since I had never seen 'polarity' used that way before, I thought you might have been thinking of, "a sharp division, as of a population or group, into opposing factions." But as it turns out you meant, "the presence or manifestation of two opposite or contrasting principles or tendencies." Sorry. Many apologies.f>

...As for the "threat", other than loudmouthing, nothing happened, but I'm sure you think it was because Tom had a weapon.f>

Where is this coming from? I was only saying that IF they had walked over towards Tom's camp site and presented a threat -- Tom was prepared. In a situation such as this (hypothetical), the mere brandishing of the weapon prevents an altercation.f>

There is no excuse for the other campers behavior, but the "my gun will save me" philosophy, please spare me.f>

You might want to examine the information located at the link I provided, instead of resorting to emotional responses. My gun MAY NOT save me, but then again, IT MAY. With my doors alarmed, and a weapon next to my bed, I am at least prepared to make an effort to protect my family. If you have an argument against that then present it, and spare me the condescending remarks.f>

The archives must be full of instances where the minorities are overrunning the majority population, stalking and killing their wives and children, uggh..I'm already sick!f>

Where in the heck is this coming from? You might want to go back and read the earlier posts again. Tom only mentioned "Hispanics" in the context of their "...screaming about killing fu**ing gringos..." The comment was confined to the camp site, and the six males making reference to killing "Gringos". How does your comment about minorities over-running the majority population relate to anything Tom or myself said?f>

Maybe one day you'll get a little further into the teachings of the person who's name is part of the word "Christian", then to, maybe not.f>

A personal attack? Why?

Do you remember when The Lord was getting ready to send out the twelve? He asked them, "Who has a sword?" One of the disciples said, "Here, we have two." Jesus responded, "One will suffice."

The roads leading to and from the various places the disciples would be going to, were ruled by bandits, and many travelers were often beaten and robbed (remember the story of the Good Samaritan). It is a good thing to turn the other cheek when it is personal, but even Jesus would not permit his disciples to be fodder for the wicked.

In the end, when the fight regards the things of The Lord, and the things of His Kingdom -- I will have to lay down my arms, for "All who live by the sword will die by the sword." But that time is not now, and I do not think it is The Lord's will to stand idle while me, my family, or property, is invaded by robbers, rapists, and kidnappers of children.

f>

Exodus 22:3f>

"If a thief is caught breaking in, and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed."f>

Keep in mind that this is simply regarding theivery -- not mother-stabbers, father-rapers, or the rest of the sorry bunch who have nothing else better to do than antagonize the rest of us.f>

This was my last politcal statement in this forum.f>

You seemed to indicate that I had much to learn regarding the person of Jesus -- maybe you would prefer religious dialogue instead, and aid me in my spiritual growthf>

Making me out to be like some kind of hate-monger was really a low shot. Shame on you.

Go in Peace

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

Dean,

I am not sure quoting Exodus is a good idea to back up your position. I seem to remember that in Deuteronomy that they also recommend stoning for a variety of offences including homosexuality and extra martial affairs.

Judging by the divorse rate in the US I think you are going to need a lot of stones - maybe a good time to get into the quarry business.

One further thing:

"Speaking of Neanderthals -- if one had you cornered behind one of your Cornwalls, and was swinging a big stick at you"

Neanderthals were not the brutes they were painted out to be in the 1920's. Things have moved on a bit since then. The best way to deal with a Neanderthal would be to give him a beer and sit him down to listen to your system - I would suggest Mozart's Saltzberg symphonies, Beethoven's 6th or Straus Waltz's - especially the Blue Danube.

As for the whole gun thing - I come from a country (England) where not only are the population not armed but, until fairly recently, neither were the police so I am totally against them on principle.

As a matter of fact even now only certain divisions of the police carry guns and that is as it should be.

As others have stated I am sure that if I had a gun it would be of more of a danger to either me and my familly (or to inocent passersby) than to any potential assailant.

In the above example with 6 potentially murderous assailants - if they were - how many would you really expect to deal with before they overpowered you anyway.

I would always want to rely on the police for help rather than my marksman's skills - it is, afterall, their line of work.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

deang,

There was no hate in anything I said, nor did I accuse anyone of such. What I hoped I posed was reason for additional thought and reflection. I apologize if you feel I "atttacked" you personally. Without the time and comfort of being able to sit and discuss this at length, person to person, much can be lost and nothing gained to take it further. I have enough struggles leading myself and my household and do not presume to be righteous enough to lead anyone else.

Peace.

Klipsch out.

quote:

Originally posted by maxg:

Judging by the divorse rate in the US I think you are going to need a lot of stones - maybe a good time to get into the quarry business.

...Or the quandary business...

BTW, maxg, thank you for your perspective. Oh, and your daughter's a cutie-pie (ref. to another thread, sorry).

fini

MaxG---We Americans have this thing with guns and they're deeply imbedded in our culture. You see England was won by the sword but The United States was won by the gun. Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, Davy Crockett, Wild Bill, The Earps, Jesse James, John Dillenger--all gunmen. Many of your heroes such as Alfred the Great, Harold Godwinson, Richard Couer de Lion, The Black Prince, Henry V, Oliver Cromwell, The Light Brigade etc., were wielders of sword and spear. Note how enthusiastic British troops have been for the bayonet (even in the Falklands where many Argentines were stuck instead of shot, completely terrorizing the poor conscripted bastards) and how shy American troops usually have been of it. In our Civil War troops fighting hand to hand reversed their rifles and used them as clubs rather than come to push of point and in our Revolution and The War of 1812 huge crowds of Americans were chased off the field by a few murderously-eyed Redcoats coming on with their "lungers". Now I'm not very keen on guns (though I do own one myself, a 1918 Lee-Enfield, the type of rifle used by my Grandfather in The Great War in which he was one of the original Old Contempibles of the 1914 BEF) and would as soon they all went away but my countrymen enjoy their use and I reckon that as long as this country is a democracy they will continue to do so. That's just the way we are. ;-)

Well, I'm back from vacation. Really enjoyed camping up at the Grand Canyon. I discovered that a person can make reservations at a National Park campground over the net. Cool. There was nothing up there that resembled my bad experiences during the San Diego trip.

Thanks Dean for sticking up for me while I was gone. I sort of figured I'd get flamed for posting my real live experiences, but what the heck. However, I didn't expect to be labeled a racist because I noticed that race-based threats were being used to intimidate me and mine. whassup widdat? So it's OK for them to scream death threats against "gringos" but not OK for me to observe that they were Hispanic? Dumber than a box of rocks, that.

Hard not to notice too that none of the critics here had much to say about the paralyzing fear my wife and son lived through. I guess that part doesn't count for much among them. What kills me is that my wife still wants to continue my son's Spanish lessons.

Tom

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Mobley:

What kills me is that my wife still wants to continue my son's Spanish lessons.

Hang in there, Tom! I've worked with many Mexicans, and it's fun communicating with them (the ones that aren't mean savages, anyway!) in their own language! Heck, you're in Arizona. There must be a few nice Mexicans in your neck of the woods (so to speak). At the very least, you'd know if the "f*****g gringos" they were talking about were you, or Bush and Cheney...

fini

Tom,

Maybe someone should let you know that possesion of firearms in most, if not all California State Parks is illegal, just in case you were in a State park. I'm also sure more than a few "gringos" have engaged in the same loudmouth threats to Hispanic and other minority groups and no one has suggested that people should stop studying english. I for one have experienced it from policeman as well as members of the general citizen community. Knowledge and understanding are greater weapons when dealing with ingnorance and intolerance. Let's please move on.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 07-13-2002 at 04:19 PM

Jazman, You state that "knowledge and understanding are greater weapons when dealing with ignorance and intolerance" -- but you never said what they were greater than. Greater "weapons" than a firearm?

Sure, in many situations wisdom should prevail. However, you are not willing to accept the brevity of the type of situations we have in mind.

Have you ever been assaulted? Raped? Kidnapped? Have you ever been confronted by an angry drunk, or maybe someone having a bad hair day and a bout of road rage? Have you ever had your house broken into while you are sleeping? Would you at least try imagine what any of these things might be like? We are not talking about the kinds of things where you have the time to recite a piece of poetry for the purpose of enlightening the aggressor.

Let me just ask you outright -- what would be your solution to on-the-spot, criminal agression?

I don't understand your responses. You haven't presented any real argument for your position, but have instead decided to fixate on Tom's statements with the word 'Hispanic' in them. Is that it? You are Hispanic and feel slighted? I can't help but think you are over-reacting to these statements.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 07-13-2002 at 09:25 PM

I have nothing against guns, surprise, surprise, but certainly hope those who advocate their use would recognize not every threat requires such extreme measures.

I seem to recall from my youth fists are a decent weapon (particularly when confronted with a defenseless drunk) and sticks and other items are even more effective. Shooting someone should not be your first resort.

The police, by the way, are incapable of being everywhere and anywhere they may be needed instantaneously. The bad guy isn't going to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for them to arrive so I hope those against guns have a slightly more well-thought-out answer to defending themselves and their families.

Tombstone, BTW, is probably the best western ever filmed. I have watched it too many times to count.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

This message has been edited by crash827 on 07-13-2002 at 09:59 PM

More wisdom from Crash. Of course, you are absolutely right. Every situation is different, and more times than a cool head will prevail.

Shooting someone is definitely a last resort. God forbid anyone should ever have to experience snuffing out another life.

I'm talking extreme circumstances that call for extreme measures.

OTOH -- there is this thing about not bringing a knife to a gun fight.

It is also important to know that having a gun doesn't make one "armed" anymore than having a guitar makes one a musician. It takes work, and a willingness to perform the unthinkable under extreme stress.

Bat Masterson said, "It is not he who is the fastest, or shoots the straightest, that wins a gun fight -- but the one who has the will."

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

f>s>

Crash---Tombstone is a great Western, the best since The Outlaw Josey Wales which was the best since The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance which was the best since Rio Bravo which was the best since The Searchers which is the best, period. My opinion of course. I'm also keen on Rio Grande, ElDorado, My Darling Clementine and The Unforgiven (the Huston picture with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn). Also very good are the Walter Hill westerns; Long Riders, Wild Bill and Geronimo, an American Legend. I also like the "Eastern" westerns Drums Along the Mohawk, Northwest Passage and Last of The Mohicans. Somebody should do a movie on early Kentucky, what great characters---Boone, Kenton, Blackfish, Captain Byrd and the evil Hair-Buyer up in Detroit. Oh if I had a couple hundred million. :-)