What is a good budget priced eqallizer?

Klipschtastic

Hello all, I am struggling with the sound of my klf 20's. They are in my living room with a dining room behind it. The total dimensions are 15x25 and there are two couches in the room, one about 8 ft from the speakers and curtains at the back of the dining room about 15ft behind the listening postion. Other than that there is nothing really soft around. On certain recordings (Sade, Thelonious Monk, anything acoustic) they are just beautifull and I wouldn't change a thing. On others, mostly hard rock, (Ramones, Blue Oyster cult, Metalica) they can be overly forward in the midrange to the point of being unbearable at volumes at or above a sustained average 80db from 8 ft away (maybe the speakers are overkill from that distance?). It is to the point that I am reconsidering whether these are the right speakers for my musical tastes and my room. I am thinking a Marantz pm6004 because many reviews say it is a warmer sounding amp than the Onkyo I am currently using but I am doubting it will be enough different to really solve my problem. I'm thinking maybe an equallizer is in order to compensate for the less flattering recordings? I would dial down the mids and bump the lower frequencies up a bit. The reason I stay with these speakers is because of the clarity, detail and great bass capabilities. I feel like the elements I like are there, they just need shaped a bit. Also could someone give the rundown on how eq's work? Do they bypass the tone controls on the amp completely or do you just leave the bass and treble flat and only use the eq?

Thanks

Jon

I have a stack of pro ashley bbe art dod sitting on the floor and honestly comparing them to my marantz or even technics or teac i say try the cheapest priced one you can get your hands on. newer the better unless you service the inner slides. as they age the slides get static. they all work pretty well

The Behringer DEQ2496 works very well and is not expensive. I thought it did a wonderful job with my k-horns in their previous location. The only way I would reccomend using it however is with a digital input, the sound was not so good with analog input. I also thought the dac was pretty decent sounding as well. Another knock on it was it takes a while to figure out how to use it. Behringer has a bit of a mixed reputation on quality but at one time I owned two of them and they were trouble free.

Edited by tromprof

I would recommend a good PEQ with REW to see what is going on in the room and to make adjustments. A mini DSP for around $125.00 may do the trick for a 2 channel system. Buying things without seeing what is exactly going on in the room is hit and miss. Also EQ by ear has a very steep learning curve. Does the OP have DSP for the time domain?

Edited by derrickdj1